Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Hughes start over XR today???
I didn't even notice Mike out there over Xavier until a couple of series in.

Yes, I believer they showed Rhodes on the sidelines and indicated Hughes got the start.  They mentioned Rhodes temper tantrum after being burned in the Seattle game but did not specifically say that is why.
Also note the they rotated DBs through out the game.

Yes he did.  And XR is hurt again.  May be the changing of the guard going forward.

I was just watching a radio talk show on utube and they said Rhodes started and then Hughes came in on the second series. I am now.

Sunday, Zimmer unveiled the most structured and consistent cornerback rotation he’s used as Vikings coach.Rhodes and Hughes were available for nine of Detroit’s 12 possessions. Rhodes and Waynes started Detroit’s first, fourth, seventh and ninth possessions. Hughes and Waynes started the second, fifth and eighth possessions. And Rhodes and Hughes started the third and sixth possessions.
Detroit’s third and fifth possessions saw all three corners see action. Waynes and Holton Hill handled the final 20 minutes.
“I just think it’s important that we mix some guys in there and let some guys adjust and see how the game, the flow of the game is, and keep going from there,” Zimmer said. “And, more importantly … In the last two weeks, they’ve been in many much better position in pass defense than we were the previous four or five weeks.”
The Lions had seven punts, including five three-and-outs. Rhodes and Waynes were on the field for three of them. Hughes and Waynes were on the field for two of them.
Hughes played 24 defensive snaps, one fewer than Rhodes. He was targeted three times, giving up receptions of 18 and four yards while making an excellent pass defense in tight coverage to force an early three-and-out on third-and-2.
Blough picked on Waynes more than any other corner. On Detroit’s fifth possession, Waynes was flagged for holding while also giving up a 17-yard completion. He gave up two more completions on that drive and was pulled before a Hunter sack led to a missed 45-yard field goal.
The Vikings presumably will continue the rotation next week when they play the Chargers and Philip Rivers in Los Angeles. Assuming the injuries aren’t serious.
Any concerns there, Mike?
“I don’t think so,” he said. “I don’t know.
http://www.startribune.com/cornerback-ro...565952761/

I like the rotation deal.

IMHO this franchisee had never had 5 corners as skilled as they have now.

The rotation is a better plan than full time Rhodes.

Let's see what happens to the rotation plan when playing a QB not named Blough.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
I like the rotation deal.

IMHO this franchisee had never had 5 corners as skilled as they have now.
Vikings have never had a secondary this talented. 6 Pro Bowls, 4 first rounders. On top of that, you add Ant Harris, Mackenzie Alexander and Jayron Kearse. Secondary should be the strength of the team, but it's the weakness. Go figure. 

I think Zimmer's message has grown stale...