Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good read on The Zimsu...
Mike Zimmer was on the podium bobbing, weaving and swatting aside all questions he didn’t want to answer when the twinkle in his eye suggested he knew his well-honed NFL head coaching stubbornness has just won another tug-of-words with the media.
“You know,” he said with a smile, “I’m a six-year veteran at this thing.”
Indeed, he is. And that, believe it or not, makes the 63-year-old Vikings coach eighth in seniority among active head coaches. Among NFC coaches, Zimmer is now fourth as he takes his Vikings into Sunday’s game against Detroit at U.S. Bank Stadium.
“That,” Zimmer said later, “is crazy.”
With Carolina sacking Ron Rivera — its all-time leader in wins and a Super Bowl participant just four years ago — this week, only Bill Belichick (20), Sean Payton (14), Mike Tomlin (13), John Harbaugh (12), Pete Carroll (10), Jason Garrett (10) and Andy Reid (seven) have survived longer. And Garrett sits upon a seriously hot seat with the talented Cowboys floundering away at 6-7.
Zimmer — an inherent worrywart even with his .603 winning percentage, two division titles and a trip to the NFC Championship Game — was reluctant at first to sit down the with the Star Tribune for this story.
“It’s bad luck,” he said. “Like a football coach buying a house.”
Then he brought up his six-year run of good luck, mentioning ownership, General Manager Rick Spielman, assistant GM George Paton, an in-sync coaching staff and a talented roster. If someone else in town hadn’t already trademarked it, you’d have sworn Zimmer was going to talk about everyone rowing a boat in the same direction
http://www.startribune.com/with-six-seas...565932552/

He's a guy that deserved to get a shot and almost didn't. But the odds are he'll end up the same way most coaches do: fired. Seems like a cynical way to look at it, but it's true. I think Z is the type a guy that the game is going to take a toll on health-wise. Losses are devastating and wins are merely feelings of relief. 

Having said that, would love to see the ol' dog win the whole thing for a fanbase that would name him their new King. 

Winning teams usually seem to be happy and having fun. Other teams seem on edge and walking on egg shells. Some of this is a reflection of ownership, the front office, and coaching staff.
I would say the Patriots and Cowboys fall into the latter caregory this season.
Which category would you place Zimmer and the Vikings in?
Do you like Zimmer's press conferences?

Zimmer and the fan-base deserve a championship...

Not sure if this is the year or not? But 3 of the next 4 are at home - all NFC North too. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
He's a guy that deserved to get a shot and almost didn't. But the odds are he'll end up the same way most coaches do: fired. Seems like a cynical way to look at it, but it's true. I think Z is the type a guy that the game is going to take a toll on health-wise. Losses are devastating and wins are merely feelings of relief. 

Having said that, would love to see the ol' dog win the whole thing for a fanbase that would name him their new King. 
Thing is, he is talented enough at his job to get a team home.  i believe he has improved his clock management, offense management and challenges.  He has always been good with players and D schemes.