Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ode...
The defense now ranks 11th in points allowed per game (20.2) and 16th in yards allowed per game (347.4), which would be the worst mark in the Mike Zimmer era.
And this defense is getting older. Two of their best linemen, end Everson Griffenand nose tackle Linval Joseph, are 31.
Joseph returned to action against the Seahawks only three weeks after knee surgery, which made it all the more incredible that the Vikings defense gave up 218 rushing yards, the second-highest mark since Zimmer became head coach in 2014.
And there is a real question about how this line will look next year. Griffen’s contract has a $13.9 million club option, and the team will be up against the salary cap.
One player who might get more extensive playing time is defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo, who played in only one game last season but has appeared in all 12 this season and has four sacks, including one against Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson on Monday, and seven QB hits in 197 snaps
http://www.startribune.com/defensive-end...565815962/

But what has been accomplished with this 'great' defense under Zimmer? A 1-2 playoff record. A blowout in the NFCC game. I don't really care what they do next year, blow it up for all I care. They don't give out Lombardi trophies for regular season statistics. 

The D definitely needs to be reworked...poor ROI from that group...could be as many as 4 starters out...extend AntMan™, Mac, and maybe Wayne's depending on how much money he wants...

Grab Fotu to replace Linval, there are a couple interesting prospects that couple replace Grif...

I'd also seriously consider a coaching overhaul...Jerry Gray at the minimum and maybe replace him with Terrance Newman...not sure George Edwards is pulling his weight either...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The D definitely needs to be reworked...poor ROI from that group...could be as many as 4 starters out...extend AntMan™, Mac, and maybe Wayne's depending on how much money he wants...

Grab Fotu to replace Linval, there are a couple interesting prospects that couple replace Grif...

I'd also seriously consider a coaching overhaul...Jerry Gray at the minimum and maybe replace him with Terrance Newman...not sure George Edwards is pulling his weight either...
I like your idea for retaining and adding new players. As for the coaches, if things continue to sour there might be a whole new coaching staff next season. 

Quote: @"Magnus" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I like your idea for retaining and adding new players. As for the coaches, if things continue to sour there might be a whole new coaching staff next season. 
We’re going to finish 11-5 at worst. If we fire Zimmer for going 11-5 we all should be pissed. 

Man, just when the offense starts to roll too- the D starts to swirl the other way...

I mentioned in another thread, Zimsu is going to have to take this off-season and really evaluate scheme, players and coaches...Including whether his role in the D needs to evolve in coming seasons??

This Detroit game is going to be uncomfortably close. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Man, just when the offense starts to roll too- the D starts to swirl the other way...

I mentioned in another thread, Zimsu is going to have to take this off-season and really evaluate scheme, players and coaches...Including whether his role in the D needs to evolve in coming seasons??
Like I've said, watching this team is like playing Whack-a-mole. But my goodness, SO much would be different with one simple change: Rhodes playing like he did two years ago. At 29, age really should not be a factor there. 

This whole defense is built around the notion of having a shut down corner on one side. With that no longer the case, it all falls apart. Everything. So do you fix the corner and keep the scheme? Shut down corners are not easy to find. Or change the defense to allow for lesser corners? Didn't we go to a cover-two in Seattle? That says a lot.  

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
This Detroit game is going to be uncomfortably close. 

It's going to be a game of extremes, one way or the other.

I don't know if the Vikings will have a MNF hang-over or not? That close loss on the road could go either way. 

If we have trouble at home vs a third string QB making his...um...first road start...um...hmmm...

Shit.