Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antoine Winfield...
Jr

Gophers safety Antoine Winfield Jr. was named the top defensive back in the Big Ten this week and there’s no doubt that if he chooses, he could turn pro.

His father, Antoine Winfield Sr., was a standout Vikings and Bills cornerback and 14-year pro who can offer insight into the decision. There isn’t a ton of upside for Winfield to return to the Gophers, because he is already 21 after missing the bulk of two seasons because of injuries.
Winfield is leading the team in tackles with 83 and interceptions with seven — that latter number ranked fourth in the country — and also forced two fumbles.
Pro Football Network rated Winfield as a top-five safety and a second-round draft pick who could potentially move into the first round if he chooses to enter the NFL draft.

He's NFL talented without question, but I'm not so sure he's a 1-2 round pick.  At least not yet.  I'd imagine the injury concerns have to be pretty high with him to go that high.  I would guess he's more of a 3-5 round pick at the moment simply because of his durability concerns.  But I've been wrong plenty of times before.