Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer's fix for the pass defense
So, the bye week came and went and Zimmer implemented a change to help the pass defense  -- basically, don't assist the run defense with safeties.  “They kept playing 2 high shell, just super deep,” Wilson said. “They didn’t want any shots thrown on them. So we said, OK, and we’ll just run it and do what we do really well.”

I don't know, I might have looked at some personnel changes during the bye, but that is just me.

I look at the Patriots and I see a team that is willing to bench, trade, cut descending players -- no loyalty, no playing based on past performance.  That philosophy has worked out okay for them. 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
So, the bye week came and went and Zimmer implemented a change to help the pass defense  -- basically, don't assist the run defense with safeties.  “They kept playing 2 high shell, just super deep,” Wilson said. “They didn’t want any shots thrown on them. So we said, OK, and we’ll just run it and do what we do really well.”

I don't know, I might have looked at some personnel changes during the bye, but that is just me.

I look at the Patriots and I see a team that is willing to bench, trade, cut descending players -- no loyalty, no playing based on past performance.  That philosophy has worked out okay for them. 
Funny you mention the patriots cuz they lost in a bad way Sunday.

And yes, Seattle was able to run, but somehow we were winning the game into the 3rd quarter when the offense had 2 huge turnovers. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

Funny you mention the patriots cuz they lost in a bad way Sunday.

And yes, Seattle was able to run, but somehow we were winning the game into the 3rd quarter when the offense had 2 huge turnovers. 
turnovers happen,   its part of the game,  the defense still needs to find a way to stop the O more than they have been.   Take away those two turnovers by our O,  and the 10 points that come from them,  our D still gave up 27 points and was still killed by time of posession.  Our D is not good at laying back and taking advantage of the opposition.  Zimmers D struggles to force turnovers and isnt getting consistent pressure on the QB...  so how is it a good game plan to let them run run run run run run run run run run for 5 yards at a clip down the field chewing clock and still letting them score?  IIRC our D forced only 1 -3 and out,  and only 3 punts total all night.   even when the opposition doesnt score,  they flip the field position which is always forcing our O to go 75-90 yards.

Quote:  

Since 2014, off the top of my head the only defensive player I recall getting benched was Gerald Hodges. I'm sure I'm missing others.

Name defensive players  Zimmer  has  benched  due to poor play?

We are now ranked #11 in scoring defense, #14 in rushing defense, #20 in passing defense...

Defense...pass or run...starts at the line.  This team is living in the past.  No more Jared.  No more Phat Pat.  No more Kevin.  No more Brian.  Griff is not the Griff of 3+ years ago.  Hunter and Weatherly are exciting but seem one dimensional.  Until Watts swatted Wilson's pass last night, I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

Get the D line fixed and everyone behind them improves.

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
Defense...pass or run...starts at the line.  This team is living in the past.  No more Jared.  No more Phat Pat.  No more Kevin.  No more Brian.  Griff is not the Griff of 3+ years ago.  Hunter and Weatherly are exciting but seem one dimensional.  Until Watts swatted Wilson's pass last night, I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

Get the D line fixed and everyone behind them improves.
Problem is some of those guys are making huge coin to be average.   The front office of this team has always conned itself about it's own.  It overvalues them, hangs on too long and misses trade opportunities, and won't make needed changes due to favoritism.   About the only thing it does well is draft which is why the team stays relevant.   But it never gets over the hump.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

Since 2014, off the top of my head the only defensive player I recall getting benched was Gerald Hodges. I'm sure I'm missing others.

Name defensive players  Zimmer  has  benched  due to poor play?
Wasn’t Barr benched for poor play several years ago?

There might lie the rub comet---we love loyalty and overvalue certain players 

I imagine Zimmer didn't make any defensive adjustments at half time because the first half went pretty well. But he sure didn't seem to make any second half adjustments when they weren't doing well.
Chalk up another post bye loss for Zimmer.