Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well you knew this was coming...
As offense improves, so does reputation of Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin StefanskiImproved offense might boost coordinator's career.

The Vikings are playing better offensively now than they were two years ago when the Giants swooped in and ran off with Pat Shurmur the morning after the magic and miracles ended one step shy of Super Bowl LIII.
So might we expect another downtrodden franchise to pounce upon another Vikings offensive coordinator — Kevin Stefanski — as early as January or, who knows, the first Monday in February?
“I don’t know,” said Gary Kubiak, Stefanski’s unofficial mentor and official Vikings assistant head coach/offensive adviser. “They don’t want to lose him around here, but Kevin’s got a bright future.“
The key to getting into position to [become a head coach] is calling games … making decisions, handling a meeting room of a bunch of players, being able to get the most out of not only players, but coaches as well,” Kubiak said.
“Kevin’s been exceptional, and this has been a good opportunity this year to do it on a full-time basis. He’s doing a great job with it.”
Stefanski has been an offensive coordinator since replacing the fired John DeFilippo after 13 games a year ago. In 11 games this season, Stefanski’s offense ranks higher than Shurmur’s 2017 offense in scoring (eighth/10th), total yards (ninth/11th), yards per play (fifth/13th), rushing (third/seventh) and red-zone touchdown percentage (fifth/ninth), among other categories.
General Manager Rick Spielman said he likes how the offense has evolved into a unit that can adapt to different situations even while missing key players
http://www.startribune.com/as-offense-im...565192432/

Stefanski will never be the HC of the Vikings because any success the team has will also be reflected onto Zimmer. Zimmer has mentioned he has no plans to retire. So.....if the team turns shitty next season, the shine goes off of Stefanski. Vicious circle. 

cant we just enjoy the ride?

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
I know, right? I mean, honestly the team hasn't done shit yet. The NFC is rough and they still need to lock down a playoff spot and go from there. The rest is just noise. 

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Right?  Maybe he gets poached but at least for now its fun. Im more concerned with talking Kubiac and co in hanging around a couple more seasons and seeing if we cant get that stupid trophy. 

If we can keep Kubes, then even if Stef moves on, whoever we bring in (Klint? Dennison?) could run the same offense, maintaining the continuity that is so important for QBs. 

Not saying that the next guy is going to be able to call plays as well as Stef has this year, but scheme continuity is the most important thing. Rick seems to do things with an eye a couple years down the road--the fact that we even still have Stefanski is proof of that. Wouldn't surprise me if he already knows who the OC will be if Stef moves on. 

Still, be nice to see this ship stay in tact for at least one more year. 

Maybe Stefanski stays, gets promoted, and we don't lose him. Maybe he is going to have a career track like Paton.

I think Kubiak would take over as OC if Stefanski gets a hc job.  And he probably will as there are going to be lots of openings as always.  But he won't necessarily have the talent to work with in whatever job he gets.

It's a big leap from running a good offense (with a great mentor in Kubiak) to running a whole team with iffy personnel - just ask Pat Shurmer.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
If we can keep Kubes, then even if Stef moves on, whoever we bring in (Klint? Dennison?) could run the same offense, maintaining the continuity that is so important for QBs. 

Not saying that the next guy is going to be able to call plays as well as Stef has this year, but scheme continuity is the most important thing. Rick seems to do things with an eye a couple years down the road--the fact that we even still have Stefanski is proof of that. Wouldn't surprise me if he already knows who the OC will be if Stef moves on. 

anyone think that G Kubiaks son could / is being groomed to become an OC??

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
@MaroonBells said:

anyone think that G Kubiaks son could / is being groomed to become an OC??
I do.