Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adrian Peterson and Dalvin have 1 thing in common....
They are press runners. They press that line and get right up on defenders as the go past or around them. Look at how close Cook gets to defenders when he's into the secondary. He's mere inches from their reach. But that's how he runs consistently. I think those unorthodox directions he takes when encountering defenders throws them off and then he hits the turbo on the speed. 

Peterson obviously was a more violent, powerful runner but when he wasn't knocking people over, he was running just like Dalvin Cook starting into the second level. Its interesting to me and you can see it so obviously on the slo mo highlights. 

Big difference I see is that Dalvin doesn't get tackled for a loss very often.  I think Peterson was a better runner with his power, speed and vision, but Dalvin is a better player overall.  His quickness through the hole is what makes him so special. 

I think the similarities you see is in their vision. I think that's where the proximity thing comes from. Sometimes you have to run closer than you'd like to tackler A in order to have a chance at beating tackler B. I think both have/had exceptional vision when it comes to seeing those lanes before they actually materialize. One key difference though: Peterson was ideally suited to the power scheme we ran at the time and Cook is ideally suited for the ZBS we run now. I don't think either would do very well in the other's blocking scheme. 

Quote: @greediron said:
Big difference I see is that Dalvin doesn't get tackled for a loss very often.  I think Peterson was a better runner with his power, speed and vision, but Dalvin is a better player overall.  His quickness through the hole is what makes him so special. 
Dalvin sees when a play is  a dog and just tries to get back to the LOS,  AD would dance around and try to make every play a homerun instead of taking what he could on the bad plays quite often just inviting more defenders to the 2-3 yard loss.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
Dalvin sees when a play is  a dog and just tries to get back to the LOS,  AD would dance around and try to make every play a homerun instead of taking what he could on the bad plays quite often just inviting more defenders to the 2-3 yard loss.
...and sometimes breaking it for 80. But then if you take away his long runs.... :-)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
...and sometimes breaking it for 80. But then if you take away his long runs.... :-)
it wasnt often that he broke open a bad play,  he got plenty of long runs,  but those didnt start with him dancing 3 yards behind the LOS.

Yep, I get their differences. My point was just this one quality which I feel is a little unique to them and part of what makes them great.

I've read many times it takes players 2 years to recover from knee surgery.

Sure seems like cook is just a bit healthier this year.  Maybe it's coincidence?

I get cook needs to stay healthy and yesterday was his 20th game, but at what point as a fan do ya kind of say "that guy is legit?

Personally I've seen enough. I think he's a special player. 

AP was a more violent runner - it seems to me Cook is slightly faster when he hits second gear. 

But he does remind me of AP a lot. 

Quote: @greediron said:
It is hard to say that. Peterson is the best pure runner I will ever witness. Cook is still coming into he own. Cook is a good all around back but Peterson is far superior IMO