Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could This Be Spielman’s Best Draft?

[Image: RickSpielman2.jpg?fit=1000%2C667]Could This Be Spielman’s Best Draft?
Bob Steele is known to our members as Viking Bob and often partakes in conversations in our Discussion Forums. Bob is also host of VIkeFans.com’s own Thor’s Hammer Podcast Roughly a wee…

Read the full story here

Thanks for taking the time to put this together Bob...

RS had a ridiculous amount of offensive starters to have to replace this offseason. How much that'll translate to into an improved offense remains to be seen. I suspect some pieces will be around a couple of years, like Reiff, not sure Remmers is more than a year on-board guy or not?

The one thing RS did this draft that I still don't understand is all the trade-downs late. I think we passed on some potential depth along the way.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

The one thing RS did this draft that I still don't understand is all the trade-downs late. I think we passed on some potential depth along the way.
Well, we started with a 2nd, two 3rds, two 4ths, and a 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick for 8 total picks.

Rick had to trade our 2nd and one of the 4ths to get Dalvin...  So now we're down to two 3rds and a 4th plus our 5th through 7th.  Seven total picks now.

Then Rick moved up again with our early 3rd to get Elflein and had to give up a 5th as well.  

Now we've picked 2 players earlier than our original draft slots and have a late 3rd, a 4th, and a 6th and 7th round pick left.  Started with 8 picks and now we only have 6.

I don't mind Rick trading back with our 3rd to get another 4th and recoup a 5th. After all his dealing, we ended up picking twice in the 4th, added an extra 5th from our original set of picks, and added 3 more 7ths.

It's confusing as hell, but if you want to look at the end result...  We essentially gave up our late 3rd to move up in the 2nd and 3rd round for Dalvin and Elflein and ended up with an extra 5th and three extra 7th round picks from our original set of 8.

If Cook and Elflein shine and Hodges and Isidora turn into starters, no one will be complaining about all the trading around...  I agree with Bob, this could be one of Spielman's best drafts.  I have the same feeling about this one as I did in 2015...  Time will tell.

Ahh Pre season hype in all it's best form Wink   I am all for the enthusiasm but lets not forget last year was one of the worst in vikings history too.  And that's after 1 year in the books. 

I think we should wait a bit before declaring this one of the best drafts.  Every draft has potential.  I like this draft a lot but I wouldn't put it up there yet.

6’3 305 pounder from Miami G Danny Isodora, to hopefully replace Patterson 

I dont see him on KR,  but I cant wait to see Isadora on the little bubble screen that Patterson was known for... 
:p 

Quote: @twgerber said:
Ahh Pre season hype in all it's best form Wink   I am all for the enthusiasm but lets not forget last year was one of the worst in vikings history too.  And that's after 1 year in the books. 

I think we should wait a bit before declaring this one of the best drafts.  Every draft has potential.  I like this draft a lot but I wouldn't put it up there yet.
Why was last years draft one of the worst in history? We traded our number 1 for last years, and this years starting QB, we banked enough picks last year to aid in making transitions this year. What I mean buy that is even though we didn't have a first round draft pick this year we still were able to manipulate the draft and snag a bargain 1st round talent and not suffer too much with the remainder of our draft. As far as last year's draft the only pick that I can see not being great was the Beavers pick. Other than that I think it was smart to bank future picks last year when it was thought that many of those picks wouldn't be making the team that year. 

Also I'd like to point out that the title of Bobs' piece was that it may be one of Rick Spielman's best drafts. Not one of the best in VIkings History. 

And to me last year one of Rick's worst.  They got too damn cute.

Beavers, The german dude, etc.   They didn't draft one guy that contributed last year and may not even this year.   Alexandar has a chance to contribute.  Might be the only guy with Treadwell hurt yet again.  

And I doubt this year tops 2015 draft which was outstanding so far.

Just too early - after one preseason game to speculate it may be one of Rick's best.

Quote: @twgerber said:
And to me last year one of Rick's worst.  They got too damn cute.

Beavers, The german dude, etc.   They didn't draft one guy that contributed last year and may not even this year.   Alexandar has a chance to contribute.  Might be the only guy with Treadwell hurt yet again.  

And I doubt this year tops 2015 draft which was outstanding so far.

Just too early - after one preseason game to speculate it may be one of Rick's best.
I think Bob is going off more than just the single preseason game,  but also the information that is coming from OTAs, minicamps, and several weeks of training camps talking about how much of an impact many of this years draft picks are contributing already.  I have to admit that I was pretty impressed by several of those guys that when picked I thought were likely a wasted pick.  

Also,  I have to look at Bradford as a 2017 draft pick... how can we not?  so far we have  1 nearly full season as a starter and likely a second one on the way from a position that is nearly impossible to find success with.

as far as 2016... well ya got that one.  we really havent gotten shit from that draft class,  and nothing outstanding seems very imminent.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

I dont see him on KR,  but I cant wait to see Isadora on the little bubble screen that Patterson was known for... 
Read it again Jimmy, it says Speedster Rodney Adams AND Danny Isodora to hopefully replace CP AND add OL Depth 

Quote: @"Viking Bob" said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Read it again Jimmy, it says Speedster Rodney Adams AND Danny Isodora to hopefully replace CP AND add OL Depth 
I know what you wrote and what you meant to say... I am saying it reads that you are expecting Isidora to replace CP and add OL depth.  had you added the word respectively to that sentence it would have reverted the "replace patterson" back to Adams.  No big deal, just having a little fun.  Wink