Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This from Tom Brady
Okay.  Those penalty stats aren't from PFF.

Here, I found Rhodes specifically, just for you.

2014 - 8 penalties, 3rd most on the team.
2015 - 9 penalties, most on the team.
2016 - 8 penalties, tied for most on the team.
2017 - 7 penalties, tied for most on the team.
2018 - 6 penalties, tied for 2nd most on the team.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalti...ml?yr=2018&tm=18

Do you believe Rhodes has a history of penalties?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@silverjoel said:
Why is all of the blame on the refs for calling the penalties and none of the blame on the players for commiting the penalties?
Because the refs are part timers...
Aren't the players part timers?

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@silverjoel said:
Why is all of the blame on the refs for calling the penalties and none of the blame on the players for commiting the penalties?
Maybe in the 60s, 70s, and the 80s...now it's pretty much year round.

@silverjoel said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@silverjoel said:
That's what I was thinking. They are working out and training outside of football. There is no offseason for them.

@silverjoel said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@silverjoel said:
I mean, I would have to take time off of work to be on Dancing with the Stars like Antonio Brown and Von Miller.

I guess week 3 for the Vikings and Raiders will be smooth sailing since Jerome Boger is actually a full-time official.

Edit: I was wrong, the NFL stopped the full-time officials for this year.  Jerome Boger was a full-time official.  

@"BarrNone55" said:
@silverjoel said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@silverjoel said:
I mean, I would have to take time off of work to be on Dancing with the Stars like Antonio Brown and Von Miller.

I guess week 3 for the Vikings and Raiders will be smooth sailing since Jerome Boger is actually a full-time official.

Edit: I was wrong, the NFL stopped the full-time officials for this year.  Jerome Boger was a full-time official.  
Well that's sad because he sucks as an offical. 

Untouchable guy complains about rules + benefitting from said rules more than anyone = media/fan hero. 

To me I put most of the blame on the competition committee. Too many of the rules involve judgement calls or overly complex and that creates game to game differences.  One of the best recent changes was getting rid of the judgement call of whether a receiver would have come down in the field of play had the defender not pushed him out.

Quote: @Scoog said:
@silverjoel said:
To me I put most of the blame on the competition committee. Too many of the rules involve judgement calls or overly complex and that creates game to game differences.  One of the best recent changes was getting rid of the judgement call of whether a receiver would have come down in the field of play had the defender not pushed him out.
Fair enough.  But the rules change because teams/players find ways to circumvent the rules in place.  Judgement calls can't really be eliminated.  And when refs try to make calls based on specific criteria, like let's say a receiver that extends his arm against a defender is considered OPI, fans still complain that he didn't "really" push off.

The easiest solution is for the players to understand the rules, work with the refs, and hone their technique to be within the rules.  

There's a reason a team like the Patriots are always one of the least penalized teams, and I hate to break it to other fans, but it's not because of favoritism.

One last thing, it doesn't seem like fans really understand the rules.

Example: after the 2017 season, the catch rules were simplified.  This was in an attempt to make catches, like the infamous Calvin Johnson no TD and our very own Thielen against the Panthers in 2017 no TD, actually count as catches.  There are some Viking fans complaining that the INT in the endzone wasn't really a catch, but it absolutely was under the new rule (made because fans didn't like the objective rule and now it's actually more subjective).