Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins: Baker or Chef?

interesting look at it.  Might be a valid critique of Cousins and explain why he seemingly comes up short at times.  But it may also be that for QBs that face the constant change of offenses, they never find the comfort zone to see that creativity. 

I do like the take on the task-oriented QB tho.  I think it a great way of explaining how some QBs never grow out of the thinking phase and into the playing freely within the framework.

Then there is the dumb as a post gunslinger.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im2hXZ_diy0

It's an interesting read...  on one hand, you'd love to see your QB take some calculated risks.  But then you need to live and die with the good AND the bad that results from that. 

Part of me wonders if some of these plays would be different if Cousins wasn't trying to run a new offense and had a at least a full season working with his receivers.  These types of plays are something you learn and feel by playing with guys and knowing that they can win these routes against these types of defensive formations.  If you don't have that chemistry built up, your QB is going go by the script every time.

I'm anxious to see what happens this season.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
It's an interesting read...  on one hand, you'd love to see your QB take some calculated risks.  But then you need to live and die with the good AND the bad that results from that. 

Part of me wonders if some of these plays would be different if Cousins wasn't trying to run a new offense and had a at least a full season working with his receivers.  These types of plays are something you learn and feel by playing with guys and knowing that they can win these routes against these types of defensive formations.  If you don't have that chemistry built up, your QB is going go by the script every time.

That's where I'm at.

It's known, now, that our offense took major hits before the season even started with the coach's passing and the injuries on the o-line...and Kirk was new here.

While I'm not saying that I'm certain he's our franchise QB for the next several years, I think this season will say more than the last.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@Wetlander said:

That's where I'm at.

It's known, now, that our offense took major hits before the season even started with the coach's passing and the injuries on the o-line...and Kirk was new here.

While I'm not saying that I'm certain he's our franchise QB for the next several years, I think this season will say more than the last.
That was a really good article and I agree with what is being said here. If the team can stay healthy and he produces, then we know we have our QB.  If not then maybe Draft a replacement but use the 3rd year to see if he can be the guy, and if not we have our next guy in the fold hopefully.

Think Tom Brady might be helped just a smidge by running the same offense for the last 18 years? That kind of familiarity allows him the opportunity to be optimal. 

I'm so "underwhelmed" with Cousins it's hard for me to be excited about this upcoming season.  I haven't felt so "bla" about the Vikings since I don't know when. 

I sure hope he can win me over, but I'm not expecting him to.

Quote: @Wetlander said:

It was very interesting.  I think, like many analysis articles, there is something to take away and some to throw away.  It is easy to second guess and say he should have gone to Diggs as he had a step.  But hard to say from that distant viewpoint, was he looking that way and Diggs freed up after he came off that read?  And to make that read with guys coming at him like they did with our o-line and no running game?
I think coaches will say they want a QB that does what the play is designed to do.  But once a QB develops that sense when he can take a chance, they don't complain.  And then when the start holding the ball on every play looking for the home run, you fire the coach McCarthy and bring in someone else.

Just my opinion but Kirk was set up for failure last season. Defilippo was trying to incorporate an offensive system that was poorly tailored to the rosters talent and he got fired. You can't have Kirk throwing 50 times a game behind an offensive line that couldn't pass protect and the running game being a complete afterthought. Rudolph was a non factor the entire season until after Defilippo was fired. I think Steffanski and Kubiak are going to better taylor the offensive structure around the running game and the talent we have. With an upgraded offensive line and a hopefully healthy Dalvin Cook being more of a focal point, I think we will see a much better Kirk Counsins this upcoming season.