Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The closer we get to TC...
The more firmly I believe this offense will go as far as Cook will ascend...

My gut and hope is, that the coaching staff will have a more resilient plan than the success of a single facet of the game.  I get the feeling they want to have more than one option open for success.  Determine what will work each week and have enough health and talent to adjust to exploit each opponent, without becoming predictable.  

1. Minnesota Vikings: RB Dalvin Cook
    had his rookie season in 2017 cut to just four games because of a torn ACL and then only appeared in 11 during his sophomore season. With a committee approach more popular than ever, teams like the Minnesota Vikings don't seem to blink at taking it easy on potential stars while instead throwing workhorse numbers at, say, Latavius Murray. 
    Cook is certainly brimming with star potential. Even on limited carries, he's sitting on 969 yards and four scores on a 4.7 YPC average, with another 51 catches.
    Also, keep in mind the Vikings made a point to upgrade the offensive line this year and brought on Gary Kubiak as an adviser, which means a zone-read expert is now helping to shape an offense where Cook will lead the way out of the backfield. His upside if fully healthy is immense. 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842...ce=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral#slide20

What is the ceiling for Dalvin Cook?Cook’s first two seasons have essentially equated to one full NFL year, which gives us somewhat of a snapshot of what he could be in a healthy season. In 15 games he carried the ball 207 times for 969 yards and caught 51 passes.
But along the way he was held back by an offseason ACL tear recovery process and nagging hamstring injury during the season.
“I’m healthy,” Cook said. “I was able to be me, fly around and be Dalvin. That’s why it went smooth. Now I’m back having fun.”
Not to mention the combination of offensive coordinator John DeFilippo focusing on the passing game and the team being forced to come from behind late in a number of games. In total, Cook carried the ball 10 times or fewer in six of his 11 games.
“The system is set up for us to be great, and we’ve got to go be great,” Cook said. “The system is set up for us. We’ve got to go take care of business. We’re going to see in a couple of months.”
The Vikings are likely to rely heavily on Cook to carry the load in 2018. Veteran backup Latavius Murray left in free agency for the New Orleans Saints and the only acquisitions in the backfield were the re-signing of veteran Ameer Abdullah and selection of Boise State’s Alexander Mattison. Neither would be expected to take playing time away from Cook.
Based on his production — albeit in a limited sample size — over the first two seasons of Cook’s career, there will be an opportunity for him to emerge as one of the elite running backs in the NFL, especially if  the Stafanski/Kubiak offense uses him as much as Pat Shurmur did in 2017 and as Kubiak did in the past with running backs like Arian Foster in Houston.
If you take Cook’s final three weeks with Stefanski at the helm as interim OC in 2018, it projects to 245 carries, 1,323 yards, 43 receptions over 16 games. He had a similar 16-game pace over the first four weeks with Shurmur of 296 carries, 1,416 yards, 44 receptions.
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...lvin-cook/

He's a talented RB made for today's NFL. Versatile. Can catch. Elusive. Could be set up for a very nice year.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The more firmly I believe this offense will go as far as Cook will ascend...
I think Cook and the running game will be great. I think the only thing limiting the offense will be how Cousins performs in big games. 

I hope so. My gut tells me not to count on him yet. 
Man I hope he stays on the field. He is good.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
I hope so. My gut tells me not to count on him yet. 
Man I hope he stays on the field. He is good.
Honestly, worst case scenario is Cook losing another year to injury. Even if that happens, I feel pretty good about Mattison and Boone picking up the slack considering the almost unbelievable success "nobody" running backs have had in Kubiak's system. If he stays healthy, Cook is going to be a monster--top 5 in the NFL kind of stuff. But the Vikings running game should be good regardless. 

Breakout year for Cook coming

310 carries
1500 yards
55 receptions
440 yards
14 TDs (10!running, 4 receiving)

His running impact plus a healthy array of receiving weapons gives the offense a 5th overall best offense in the NFL to team with a top 5 defense  leading to a 12 win season and a top 2# seed in the NFC

Quote: @Skodin said:
Breakout year for Cook coming

310 carries
1500 yards
55 receptions
440 yards
14 TDs (10!running, 4 receiving)

His running impact plus a healthy array of receiving weapons gives the offense a 5th overall best offense in the NFL to team with a top 5 defense  leading to a 12 win season and a top 2# seed in the NFC
This would not surprise me. Either the Cook stats and team too. 

I really think last year was the anomaly and I expect this year to more mirror 2017 - with a happier ending please.