Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh Good Lord...
While fans and analysts are focused on trade rumors surrounding tight end Kyle Rudolph, they should be more concerned about the absence of starting right tackle Brian O’Neill. The second-year starter, who is paid to protect Kirk Cousins, was missing from practice Wednesday. In his absence, the $84 million man was taken to the turf by his own teammate.
O’Neill was a rare bright spot on Minnesota’s shaky offensive line last year, but he was sidelined during the second practice of the season with an undisclosed injury. Rashod Hill replaced O’Neill for the day, but he and his other linemen failed to protect the man in red. Quarterbacks always wear bright red jerseys during practice so adrenaline-filled defensemen don’t hit them.
O’Neill’s presence was certainly missed, but the line is also learning a new system brought in by Rick Dennison. The offensive line coach is teaching the squad to zone block vs man to man. As a result, Cousins was frequently under duress during the two-hour session, and at one point was inadvertently taken to the turf.
You never want to see the signal-caller down on the ground in his red jersey. An innocent practice can lead to a near career-ending injury, as it did with former Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater in 2016. Accidents happen, but Cousins’ incident made me wonder if Teddy’s devastating knee injury was truly non-contact? After all, we never saw the tape.
 =) 
https://purpleptsd.com/cousins-taken-dow...-practice/

Sigh. The world of 'anyone on the internet can be a 'journalist'". 

Sounds like they are already blocking up to their usual standards.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:O’Neill’s presence was certainly missed, but the line is also learning a new system brought in by Rick Dennison. The offensive line coach is teaching the squad to zone block vs man to man. As a result, Cousins was frequently under duress during the two-hour session, and at one point was inadvertently taken to the turf.
I thought we were primarily zone-blocking scheme last year?

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@purplefaithful said:O’Neill’s presence was certainly missed, but the line is also learning a new system brought in by Rick Dennison. The offensive line coach is teaching the squad to zone block vs man to man. As a result, Cousins was frequently under duress during the two-hour session, and at one point was inadvertently taken to the turf.
I thought we were primarily zone-blocking scheme last year?
I think it was the lack of any identifiable scheme that led to the failures of last year.   There was no real consistancy to any style.

Was it Kubiak or Dennison who brought up how D-Flopo switched schemes constantly and never committed to one or the other. Whom ever it was also noted that he never schemed specifically to any Player's Strength or more importanty to cover any Weakness along the Line. It was a one-size-fits-all approach in terms of no individual adjustments but also switching back and forth constantly between two very different styles of blocking.

This schizophrenic approach and abandoning the run when it was working make me wonder what John's ceiling is as a Playcaller. Everybody learns after their first big job. But that was some seriously tone deaf shit he was running last year.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Was it Kubiak or Dennison who brought up how D-Flopo switched schemes constantly and never committed to one or the other. Whom ever it was also noted that he never schemed specifically to any Player's Strength or more importanty to cover any Weakness along the Line. It was a one-size-fits-all approach in terms of no individual adjustments but also switching back and forth constantly between two very different styles of blocking.

This schizophrenic approach and abandoning the run when it was working make me wonder what John's ceiling is as a Playcaller. Everybody learns after their first big job. But that was some seriously tone deaf shit he was running last year.
Yes, we're totally better now that DeFilippo and whoever picked him are gone!! Right??
Sorry, but we're just getting so much proclamation that the Vikings will be better because they have the right coaches now, the right scheme, and conversely that all the 2018 problems were due to JDF and/or his schemes. Spielman and Zimmer have flailed around trying to understand offensive football for 5 seasons and I can't believe this is finally the real solution until they have results.

It has been a poorly managed (but also snake-bitten) offensive side of the ball for too much of Zimmer's era. 

One can choose to believe things are going to get better or not.

My rationale for improvement seems strong with the track record of the Kubiak crew and what looks to be personnel improvement along a league poor OL front.

I think the Vikings bounce back a lot this season, as long as the football gods dont smite them too much.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@FSUVike said:

Yes, we're totally better now that DeFilippo and whoever picked him are gone!! Right??
Sorry, but we're just getting so much proclamation that the Vikings will be better because they have the right coaches now, the right scheme, and conversely that all the 2018 problems were due to JDF and/or his schemes. Spielman and Zimmer have flailed around trying to understand offensive football for 5 seasons and I can't believe this is finally the real solution until they have results.
The 2017 Vikings were top 12 in yards, points scored and yards per play.  Not the best... but not bad.  That was during the Zimmer and Spielman tenure.

Here's the bottom line, at least from this 6 decades-long fan...WIN. Just fucking WIN and spare us all the minutiae of who was drafted where, and how this contract structure did this. I dont give a rat's ass about how a 60 year old billionaire and a 20-something year old millionaire reach agreement.

I am soooo tired of the excuses. It's ALWAYS something, and fans are just supposed to accept it. FUCK THAT.

Spielman has been in charge of scouting and personnel since June of 2006. 

In the subsequent 13 seasons, 11 times the Vikings have posted ZERO playoff wins. That's @ a 85% failure rate (or a 15% success rate, based on the love L'il Ricky gets from his worshipers)

I don' want to hear about injuries, I don't want to hear about new schemes, I don't want to hear about new coaches,  I don't want to hear about rookies, I don't want to hear about the ref's, schedule, weather or Trump. 

There are NO excuses left for Ricky this year. NONE. His FOURTEENTH SEASON should be the culmination of his "plan", correct? 

I'm not familiar with the phrase "The 14th time's a charm", but maybe it's a Mimnesota thing. After all, it wasn't too long ago that I was compelled to "Embrace the suck" as a Vikings fan. 

2 playoff wins MINIMUM this season or Saint Richard needs to be excommunicated.