Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahbut - the clock is ticking...
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:
I think some fans don't understand this is a job to these guys. Yes, its a game, but this game takes a toll on their bodies and they have to basically train year round. They'll get hurt. They'll play injured. And its a short lived career. So just like other jobs, when you have great co-workers, its fun to go to work. And they want to win, but its not the end all, be all for them. They'd love to be champions, but sometimes that doesn't happen. So let's have some fun, work and prepare as hard as we can and let the chips fall where they may.

Fans want wins, but players understand sometimes that is out of their control. Barr stayed in Minnesota because he loves the aspects of the organization and its all he knows as a professional NFL player. It's comfortable. The grass isn't always greener. And honestly, yeah he took less but he's still getting a shitload of money. Its a business and these guys know this. And although this is cool and a feel-good type story, I have no idea what this means for wins and losses, which is all I care about as a fan. 
Having coached guys that played in the NFL, you're right: most folks have no idea the amount of work that these guys put in (year round).  Now, granted, if you love what you do... that helps.  But it's still A LOT of work: running 100 100-yd sprints- in 90+ heat and humidity- for example.  There was no one else there to push him; he just did it because he knew he had to.  Then he went in and lifted weights for 2 hours.  I can barely get out of bed at 6am... just to go and WATCH others lift weights! 

And that doesn't even take into account the quality of life later on.  Dave Casper (OAK-TE) retired to live in my hometown... and came to speak to our team one day.  He was- maybe- 40 or 45.  He looked about 80.  He could barely move... and told us that he took alot of pain-killers, just to be able to walk.  
I understand what you're saying. These guys do work very hard to get to where they are at. Not without also having some god given athletic ability as well. I don't wish to belittle their suffering, however. In my life I been and known a good many blue collar guys who got hurt badly on construction and manufacturing jobs. One guy got exposed to a substance that gave him neurological damage permanently. Died age 52 from seizures. I got a bother in-law who fell backwards off the stilts doing drywall. Crushed several discs. Permanent pain as well. These guys never made millions or even got near that. Men and women of all income ranges get hurt daily. These guys at least understand the risks and can get the hazard duty pay. 
Just saying.
That's the "unfair" side of things.  There's no way that a football player- no matter what sacrifices they've made- should be elevated above the "blue collar working man", as though they (the FB players) had worked harder than anyone else.  There's alot of people who work asphalt / roofing in 90+ temps... all day long.  (Not me... I couldn't handle it.  I did landscaping in St. Louis for a summer during my seminary days.  It- literally- almost killed me.  I got heat stroke one day.  After that, I had to quit.  My body wasn't made for that kind of work (at least not in that type of climate).  So you raise a good point.  God bless those who put in that kind of work- for 40 years- day in and day out.  They don't get the recognition that they deserve- but they certainly shouldn't be ignored.  

This hasn't gotten enough talk...  this is COMPLETELY unheard of in today's NFL.  Yeah, he's still getting paid good money, but he had an offer for more money and left millions on the table to come back here. 

I guess if some want to spin that as a negative, go for it...  but IMO it speaks to the culture that Zimmer has built here.  This isn't a low-level free agent that has one or two low ball offers, this is a 4-time Pro Bowler in the prime of his career that was pretty heavily sought after by other teams.

I certainly have a ton of respect for Barr after this.  Not many guys would have made that decision.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
This hasn't gotten enough talk...  this is COMPLETELY unheard of in today's NFL.  Yeah, he's still getting paid good money, but he had an offer for more money and left millions on the table to come back here. 

I guess if some want to spin that as a negative, go for it...  but IMO it speaks to the culture that Zimmer has built here.  This isn't a low-level free agent that has one or two low ball offers, this is a 4-time Pro Bowler in the prime of his career that was pretty heavily sought after by other teams.

I certainly have a ton of respect for Barr after this.  Not many guys would have made that decision.
didnt Cousins do exactly that last year to the same team?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:

I don't think so...  the Jets were reportedly offering 90 million (IIRC), but I don't think they were guaranteeing 84 million dollars like the Vikings ended up doing.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:

I don't think so...  the Jets were reportedly offering 90 million (IIRC), but I don't think they were guaranteeing 84 million dollars like the Vikings ended up doing.
IIRC they had more guaranteed money than the Vikes,  could be wrong, but he chose MN despite NY having the better deal from what I am remembering.

That is what I take away.  That and Kendricks texted him and said it is gonna be weird not playing next to you.  Barr changed his mind shortly after that.