Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yahbut - the clock is ticking...
Vikings defensive core bonds, stays intact in cutthroat NFLNormally stoic Harrison Smith choked back tears and Everson Griffen talked about talked about being blessed. "I feel like we just love playing with each other," Eric Kendricks said.

Harrison Smith rarely, if ever, reveals his emotions when he’s being interviewed. He is easily the most stoic Vikings player in the locker room in those settings. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if his team won or lost based on his demeanor.

The All-Pro safety is courteous and thoughtful, but he shows the same level of emotion as a Buckingham Palace guard. Nothing but stone-faced.

Smith let down his shield Tuesday in a way that was both jarring and illuminating. He choked back tears when asked about linebacker Anthony Barr’s decision to turn down a more lucrative free-agent contract from the New York Jets this offseason to return to the Vikings.

Smith’s trembling voice caught everyone by surprise, even Smith. “I didn’t think that would happen,” he said, cracking a sly smile.

“He’s one of my best friends,” he continued. “Honestly, I wanted him to go get as much money as he could make. Pro sports, that’s how things happen. I obviously wanted him here as well. So I wasn’t going to be upset one way or the other. It’s just … it’s an emotional game and you make friendships and you make plays together and you’re pumped for the guy next to you. It’s why I play.”

The Vikings returned to work this week to start preparation for the 2019 season. Coming off a belly-flop season, expectations should remain high because their roster makeup in talent and financial commitments still mandates a win-now edict.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-defen...508675472/

This is a great feel good story. I will take it by your thread title though you feel alot like I do. The fact that this team is bonded and has genuine love for one another is like the consolation prize. I want the real one at some point. It makes it easier to deal with not having that prize when you got guys like this saying things like that. Guys like Thielan who defy the odds and become stars in the league and on the team he and I grew up loving. It feels really good to feel good about our guys. However now I want to feel really, really good. Not to much to ask for a lifetime of waiting. Is it???

I think some fans don't understand this is a job to these guys. Yes, its a game, but this game takes a toll on their bodies and they have to basically train year round. They'll get hurt. They'll play injured. And its a short lived career. So just like other jobs, when you have great co-workers, its fun to go to work. And they want to win, but its not the end all, be all for them. They'd love to be champions, but sometimes that doesn't happen. So let's have some fun, work and prepare as hard as we can and let the chips fall where they may.

Fans want wins, but players understand sometimes that is out of their control. Barr stayed in Minnesota because he loves the aspects of the organization and its all he knows as a professional NFL player. It's comfortable. The grass isn't always greener. And honestly, yeah he took less but he's still getting a shitload of money. Its a business and these guys know this. And although this is cool and a feel-good type story, I have no idea what this means for wins and losses, which is all I care about as a fan. 

Yeah $33 million guaranteed is not a bad prize either. I will have to settle for the championship one.

Maybe this is the motivation that Barr needs to be an all around consistent linebacker for the Vikings.  He always had the potential and talent, but sometimes he slack off during the season. 

Anyone like the Fleetwood Mac album, "Rumours"? Members of that group HATED each other while they created their best work ever, and one of the best albums in history. Tension can be productive.

Wonderful that these players all love each other and their coach and where they work. Hey, know who else loved playing here? The guys Leslie Frazier coached, because he was reportedly a wonderful guy who cared about all his players and made them feel good, even after losses. Numerous losses. There is a long list of winning teams with nasty coaches and tough circumstances and a very short list of "players coaches" who won it all.

When people are getting minimum wage to scrub toilets, "feel good workplace and coworkers feel like family" stories are nice compensation. The Vikings currently have 8 defensive players accounting for $80 Million in salary each year. These guys should F--KING LOVE their jobs even if everyone treats them like crap every day they come to practice. 

If they can have a team lovefest and win, that's fine. But this is an underachieving group that's aging. If this season is another disappointment, they need to be made uncomfortable and see a few of their buddies - and coaches - moved out of the club.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think some fans don't understand this is a job to these guys. Yes, its a game, but this game takes a toll on their bodies and they have to basically train year round. They'll get hurt. They'll play injured. And its a short lived career. So just like other jobs, when you have great co-workers, its fun to go to work. And they want to win, but its not the end all, be all for them. They'd love to be champions, but sometimes that doesn't happen. So let's have some fun, work and prepare as hard as we can and let the chips fall where they may.

Fans want wins, but players understand sometimes that is out of their control. Barr stayed in Minnesota because he loves the aspects of the organization and its all he knows as a professional NFL player. It's comfortable. The grass isn't always greener. And honestly, yeah he took less but he's still getting a shitload of money. Its a business and these guys know this. And although this is cool and a feel-good type story, I have no idea what this means for wins and losses, which is all I care about as a fan. 
Having coached guys that played in the NFL, you're right: most folks have no idea the amount of work that these guys put in (year round).  Now, granted, if you love what you do... that helps.  But it's still A LOT of work: running 100 100-yd sprints- in 90+ heat and humidity- for example.  There was no one else there to push him; he just did it because he knew he had to.  Then he went in and lifted weights for 2 hours.  I can barely get out of bed at 6am... just to go and WATCH others lift weights! 

And that doesn't even take into account the quality of life later on.  Dave Casper (OAK-TE) retired to live in my hometown... and came to speak to our team one day.  He was- maybe- 40 or 45.  He looked about 80.  He could barely move... and told us that he took alot of pain-killers, just to be able to walk.  

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Anyone like the Fleetwood Mac album, "Rumours"? Members of that group HATED each other while they created their best work ever, and one of the best albums in history. Tension can be productive.

Wonderful that these players all love each other and their coach and where they work. Hey, know who else loved playing here? The guys Leslie Frazier coached, because he was reportedly a wonderful guy who cared about all his players and made them feel good, even after losses. Numerous losses. There is a long list of winning teams with nasty coaches and tough circumstances and a very short list of "players coaches" who won it all.

When people are getting minimum wage to scrub toilets, "feel good workplace and coworkers feel like family" stories are nice compensation. The Vikings currently have 8 defensive players accounting for $80 Million in salary each year. These guys should F--KING LOVE their jobs even if everyone treats them like crap every day they come to practice. 

If they can have a team lovefest and win, that's fine. But this is an underachieving group that's aging. If this season is another disappointment, they need to be made uncomfortable and see a few of their buddies - and coaches - moved out of the club.
I always think of Scotty Bowman as an NHL reference. The players hated playing for him but he won numerous championships wherever he went.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@StickyBun said:

Having coached guys that played in the NFL, you're right: most folks have no idea the amount of work that these guys put in (year round).  Now, granted, if you love what you do... that helps.  But it's still A LOT of work: running 100 100-yd sprints- in 90+ heat and humidity- for example.  There was no one else there to push him; he just did it because he knew he had to.  Then he went in and lifted weights for 2 hours.  I can barely get out of bed at 6am... just to go and WATCH others lift weights! 

And that doesn't even take into account the quality of life later on.  Dave Casper (OAK-TE) retired to live in my hometown... and came to speak to our team one day.  He was- maybe- 40 or 45.  He looked about 80.  He could barely move... and told us that he took alot of pain-killers, just to be able to walk.  
I understand what you're saying. These guys do work very hard to get to where they are at. Not without also having some god given athletic ability as well. I don't wish to belittle their suffering, however. In my life I been and known a good many blue collar guys who got hurt badly on construction and manufacturing jobs. One guy got exposed to a substance that gave him neurological damage permanently. Died age 52 from seizures. I got a bother in-law who fell backwards off the stilts doing drywall. Crushed several discs. Permanent pain as well. These guys never made millions or even got near that. Men and women of all income ranges get hurt daily. These guys at least understand the risks and can get the hazard duty pay. 
Just saying.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@Jor-El said:

I always think of Scotty Bowman as an NHL reference. The players hated playing for him but he won numerous championships wherever he went.
How about the clown that left the Patriots last summer... and complained that they didn't have any fun?