Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carr buying
“I think he’ll be able to find ways to get Stefon [Diggs] and Adam [Thielen] and those guys involved,” Carr said. “And obviously with the run game. That’s going to be the biggest difference I think you’ll see – the run game’s going to really improve.”
Carr believes that Vikings running back Dalvin Cook will be “perfect” for the type of offense that Kubiak and Stefanski will implement under Head Coach Mike Zimmer in 2019. He pointed out that Kubiak’s teams often lead the league in under-center snaps.
That’s a good thing, Carr said.
“It’s good for play-action. The Rams utilized a lot of that, and [Rams Head Coach] Sean McVay’s kind of from that same [Shanahan coaching] tree,” Carr said. “I think Dalvin’s going to flourish in this system.”
He emphasized his belief that Minnesota will field an offensive line well-suited for that system.
“It might not be fancy names,” Carr said. “[It might be] guys where you scratch your head in Minnesota and say, ‘Why are they bringing this guy in?’ It’s just to fit that system,” Carr reminded. “They’re going to be athletic and be able to move and play multiple positions, but that offensive line will turn into one of the strengths of the team, just based on the scheme that they run.
“I’m high on Minnesota,” he added. “I think it’s going to be exciting to watch them play offensive football.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/david-carr-shares-experience-with-kubiak-weighs-in-on-vikings-offense

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
“I think he’ll be able to find ways to get Stefon [Diggs] and Adam [Thielen] and those guys involved,” Carr said. “And obviously with the run game. That’s going to be the biggest difference I think you’ll see – the run game’s going to really improve.”
Carr believes that Vikings running back Dalvin Cook will be “perfect” for the type of offense that Kubiak and Stefanski will implement under Head Coach Mike Zimmer in 2019. He pointed out that Kubiak’s teams often lead the league in under-center snaps.
That’s a good thing, Carr said.
“It’s good for play-action. The Rams utilized a lot of that, and [Rams Head Coach] Sean McVay’s kind of from that same [Shanahan coaching] tree,” Carr said. “I think Dalvin’s going to flourish in this system.”
He emphasized his belief that Minnesota will field an offensive line well-suited for that system.
“It might not be fancy names,” Carr said. “[It might be] guys where you scratch your head in Minnesota and say, ‘Why are they bringing this guy in?’ It’s just to fit that system,” Carr reminded. “They’re going to be athletic and be able to move and play multiple positions, but that offensive line will turn into one of the strengths of the team, just based on the scheme that they run.
“I’m high on Minnesota,” he added. “I think it’s going to be exciting to watch them play offensive football.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/david-carr-shares-experience-with-kubiak-weighs-in-on-vikings-offense
I sure as hell hope so.  been a long lonely lonely time

The lack of running game last year is why our Play Action just wasn't there, and I think thats what pissed Zimmer off so much and our OC was shown the door. And from what I heard and saw of Cousins in Washington was that he was excellent at selling the Play Action. But if you don't run the ball a lot, Defenses won't bite on it.

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
The lack of running game last year is why our Play Action just wasn't there, and I think thats what pissed Zimmer off so much and our OC was shown the door. And from what I heard and saw of Cousins in Washington was that he was excellent at selling the Play Action. But if you don't run the ball a lot, Defenses won't bite on it.
It's even bigger than that, IMO. D-FLOP was, by all accounts, flip-flopping between gap and zone schemes in his playcalling. With a group of players that don't exactly scream 'Bulldozer' to the naked eye.

And does the disconnect go back further? Tony wanted guys that could smack D-Linemen around, which he hoped Willie Beavers could do.

Is the deeper rooted problem Mike Zimmer wanting a Run-First team but not having any input into how it's built? Or having input but not sticking to one system? Or Rick constantly supplying diverse pieces that don't consistently fit one system?

Honestly, the truth is probably a little bit of all of the above plus factors not even discussed here to date.

Another truth is that Minnesota was Top 10 in rushing 2 years ago. But also like Top 3 in rushing attempts. That's a commitment to running the ball that D-Flip didn't adhere to last year. Is it because he was bad at being an OC? Because he lost his O-Line Coach tragically? Is it because Tony's replacements weren't capable? Or because Rick counted on Remmers not sucking at Guard or Compton not sucking period? 

Why trade for Brent and leave him on the bench after Elf returned? Why couldn't Izzy get a sniff to replace Compton? How did Gossett not displace other guys in front of him?

I don't have these answers. Here's what I do know. Kirk Cousins was Shanahan's target when he went to SanFran. He had a great Play Action game in Washington, where the team had lesser Receivers and Runners but inarguably better Linemen and Tight End threats, though that Line was seldom healthy to the point that TJ Clemmings was their starting Tackle for a while.

A lot of talk about Rick, Kirk, etc., not performong. And it is absolutely freaking justified. Not enough talk about Mike and his OC Carousel and schizophrenic approach to being a Run First Team IMO.

Done debating and arguing the 'whys' of it all,  just win some football games. 

There's lots of uncertainty this year. Far less enthusiasm from my perspective as well. Last year at this time I was expecting a contender. I don't have that feel today. As FSU stated there was alot of things that went wrong or were poorly planned for. So now it this new enthusiasm for Kubiak’s offense or is it Stefanski's??? That has me a bit worried actually. Hoping there's not too many cooks in the kitchen. We have had several years of indecisiveness and lack of continuity at the OC position. I have to see this two headed approach in action before I'm convinced. We do need a focused attack not more second guessing.

Unless lady luck takes another dump on the Vikings, I fully expect this to be a "bounce-back" year with a spot in the post-season dance. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Unless lady luck takes another dump on the Vikings, I fully expect this to be a "bounce-back" year with a spot in the post-season dance. 

If the front office really takes a serious effort to address the offensive line, I tend to agree with you on this.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yep, I'll believe this is a winning team when I see it.  I'm really down on the Vikes right now.  They didn't improved anywhere this off-season from last talent wise.  Maybe we'll get a bunch of new rookies that changes the team?  How often does that happen, almost never?
I wish I shared those feelings, pf.  The way the Vikings were manhandled by the Bears in those two games really opened my eyes to the reality that this team isn't a playoff team. 

I don't trust the OL at all, and the DL was pushed around way too often.  I doubt either of those things change for next year.  Hope I'm wrong.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
Yep, I'll believe this is a winning team when I see it.  I'm really down on the Vikes right now.  They didn't improved anywhere this off-season from last talent wise.  Maybe we'll get a bunch of new rookies that changes the team?  How often does that happen, almost never?
I wish I shared those feelings, pf.  The way the Vikings were manhandled by the Bears in those two games really opened my eyes to the reality that this team isn't a playoff team. 

I don't trust the OL at all, and the DL was pushed arouind way too often.  I doubt either of those things change for next year.  Hope I'm wrong.
 This, 100%. 

Think about the strategy....signing Easton was the priority? Really?! LMAO! And the back up plan was bringing in several has-been's/never-was' ? And NOW the fan base is supposed to blindly believe that the Vikings will draft 1, if not 2, rookie OL-men that will be immediate, impactful, Day 1 starters??! Seriously? Meanwhile, we're also supposed to embrace the idea that a 1st round WR will FINALLY be a significant contributor in his FOURTH year? Hmmmm.... potentially 2 immediate OL contributors in their rookie seasons, but be happy to wait 4 seasons for a 1st rd WR to contribute. I dunno, a Ryckophant will have to explain why fans should not question being fed 2 diametrically opposed viewpoints regarding young players....especially when it's much more difficult for OL to acclimate to the NFL than a 3rd WR. Can't wait to read those explanations!

And, before the usual EXCUSE : "What were the Vikings supposed to do? They have no cap space and a lot of OL needs". Um, WHO CREATED those issues? Just because THEY backed themselves into a corner, that doesn't EXCUSE them for the inability to rectify these self-created problems just because it's "difficult or impossible" What is Zimmer's motto again? Oh, yeah, "Don't tell me about the labor, SHOW me the baby". Well, the gestation periods for Zimmer and Ricky respectively are now 6 and 14 years. I expect to see one hell of a baby this season.... another Schpielman Special" (ZERO playoff wins) would be an afterbirth. 

Time will tell, but the constant EXCUSES are beyond pathetic at this point. I don't want to hear about new schemes, new players, new coaches, injuries, the schedule, the refs, missed FG's, dropped passes, fumbles. JUST. FUCKING. WIN. PLAYOFF GAMES. OK? Just STFU and WIN. 2 playoff wins since 2006 is abysmal for a self-annointed "elite" organization. It's the WORST 13 season stretch of playoff futility in Vikings' HISTORY and I, for one, am totally fed up with the same shit EVERY YEAR.

Peace.