Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings take a QB in the first 4 rounds?
This is the perfect time for Minnesota to draft a QB and roll the dice that he develops and might be ready to be the guy after Cousin's contract expires. Sit stress free in 2019 and do nothing but learn as the #3. And take another swing in the 2020 draft. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
This is the perfect time for Minnesota to draft a QB and roll the dice that he develops and might be ready to be the guy after Cousin's contract expires. Sit stress free in 2019 and do nothing but learn as the #3. And take another swing in the 2020 draft. 
with this franchise... its always the right time to take a QB.   

Its pretty evident that we cant have a good team and KC (good veteran QB),  so we better start looking for an affordable alternative at the position.

They should of course, but if I am betting $ they won't. Just not in their DNA to think ahead at the most important position. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@FSUVike said:
@holmanjp said:
@FSUVike said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@Caactorvike said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I am not as convinced that cousins won't be resigned.  Last seasons oline issues were not on him so imo until that is resolved it's really up in the air.  I will say if they truly dont think Sloter has a future beyond scout team reps then they need to start thinking QB in even the 2nd or 3rd rounds so if they do move on from KC they have a young guy with a couple years of mentoring under his belt ready to step in instead of these journeyman retreads they try to squeeze a year out of here and there.
As of today if the Vikings had to make a decision on Cousins I would put my money on the front office opting to not resign him. Internally he hasn't been exactly what they thought. Doesn't mean that year two won't be better and change the narrative. 
Geoff--"internally he hasn't been exactly what they thought.". Thats a very intriguing sentence. Can you tell me more about that?  What were they hoping for?--and how has Cousins not delivered that?  It sounds like you are talking about a locker room presence, but tell me more.
Obviously Geoff knows more than me about the internal thinking of the Vikings but I would have to believe changing coordinators after 13 weeks is not good for anyone on the offense.
And Zimmer crying about running the ball did not help either.  IMHO.
I know he wants balance and wants things the way he wants them but they were doing very good early on.
Thielen was setting records with all those consecutive games with 100 plus yards.
I actually thought JDF was doing very good considering Cook was out for 6 of the first 8 games and Murray is not exactly a power back even though he is as big as most linebackers.
Continuity may be a good thing.
Continuity will help and obviously their feelings now can change. It's only been a single year. He isn't a rookie QB but look at the progression a lot of those guys take in year 2 & 3. Receiver chemistry, the system, etc.. will all have a foundation vs. a new start. 

Zimmer crying about running the ball both has some merit but its easy to jump to extremes as well. Although you're paying Cousins top QB $ he is going to be best in a system where he isn't carrying the load unless he has to. Run the ball effectively and everything will open up and be less risky from the QB's standpoint. What Cousins does bring to the table is the ability to comeback in games (e.g. Green Bay week 2). Case doesn't get that game tied. 

Time will tell. 
That's because Case also wouldn't have looked like dogshit for the first 3 quarters either.  It was disturbing how many games, especially in the second half of the season, where the Vikings would have basically ZERO production on offense for the first half or more.

Regarding QBs, they should be drafting or bringing in a rookie FA QB every single year until (and even after) they finally hit on their true franchise, HOF-level QB.  Just look what happens when QBs like TJack, Ponder, Teddy, etc. are given no real competition and the pipeline behind them is left empty.
Case wouldn't have looked like dogshit for 3 quarters? Lol, try telling that to Denver fans.
Are these Denver fans you speak of, aware of the fact that Case lost his #1 WR after game 8, only receiving TE after game 10 and his #2 WR for the last 4 games.

If Kirk lost Adam, Kyle and Diggs for those same amount of games.
It would be another excuse for him, so why not for Case?

He had over 2100 yards after game 8.
They were certainly looking like a Super Bowl contender before that weren't they? Wink

Meanwhile, he's on his 3rd team in 3 years.
...and yet a 3rd team is taking him. A 2nd that will likely install him as their starter. Look Case is what he is. Washington will take a QB in the draft. Case is just holding the water. 
As for Denver we'll see how happy they are with their new more expensive QB. Elway has an idea what a quarterback SHOULD look like. He wants his big arm. I'm not so sure horseface is a guru when it comes to finding QB's. Other then bringing in an old HOF'er his choices have not been great. He did choose not to give Osweiler that big contract. Partial credit. Didn't find anybody better just cheaper. Now he's not gotten cheaper. Has their prospects improved? 
Gruden will get alot out of Case in that offense. look for a good year from him

Typically the best chances to find a legit starting QB is in the 1st round and even that is a crap shoot... and in a weak class, we won't get a shot at Haskins or Murray.

I guess if you're a believer in Lock, Jones, and Finley...  the latter two will likely be there at 18, but I don't think any of these guys will be franchise QBs.

I think we need to face the facts and come to the realization that Cousins will be our starter for the next two seasons whether fans like it or not.  And it's extremely unlikely that a Day 2 or 3 QB will be as good as Cousins is in a year or two...

That said...  Will Grier is a guy I would be all over if he's there in the 3rd or 4th.  I think NFL teams are higher on him than the draft pundits are so he'll probably get picked at some point early Day 2.  That's too early for the Vikings to consider a QB given that we'll need to use either our 1st or 2nd round pick on an offensive lineman.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
Typically the best chances to find a legit starting QB is in the 1st round and even that is a crap shoot... and in a weak class, we won't get a shot at Haskins or Murray.

I guess if you're a believer in Lock, Jones, and Finley...  the latter two will likely be there at 18, but I don't think any of these guys will be franchise QBs.

I think we need to face the facts and come to the realization that Cousins will be our starter for the next two seasons whether fans like it or not.  And it's extremely unlikely that a Day 2 or 3 QB will be as good as Cousins is in a year or two...

That said...  Will Grier is a guy I would be all over if he's there in the 3rd or 4th.  I think NFL teams are higher on him than the draft pundits are so he'll probably get picked at some point early Day 2.  That's too early for the Vikings to consider a QB given that we'll need to use either our 1st or 2nd round pick on an offensive lineman.
I think their opinion of Sloter should dictate where they take a QB.  If he isn't a potential challenger for cousins job after this year rhem I think taking a QB in this draft is about as important as OL or any other position.  I am not saying  take one in the first,  but if we dont have a legit challenger for the starting job after this year then Kirk will be able to hold the team hostage for whatever he wants and that will certainly kill the teams cap and cause more issues with building and maintaining a quality roster.

Quote: @Wetlander said:

I think everyone understands the Cousins has a guaranteed contract and he'll be the starter for 2 more years: that's not what I'm advocating or talking about. My take is there is 0.0% chance he sees another contract in Minnesota. Time to start thinking of the future at QB. I'm sure there will be journeyman vet QBs to sign as a band-aid and that would be oh so Vikings. Right on brand. And yes, no doubt the odds are way better drafting a QB early. But that would cause an implosion because then you really are admitting the Cousins' signing was a mistake. I don't think they can be that blatant.....yet. 

Everyone on this board, in Minnesota, in the sports media had penciled in the Vikings as the NFC Superbowl faves last season: and it was a shit show. I just dont see how that will change this season. 

@Wetlander said:

I think everyone understands the Cousins has a guaranteed contract and he'll be the starter for 2 more years: that's not what I'm advocating or talking about. My take is there is 0.0% chance he sees another contract in Minnesota. Time to start thinking of the future at QB. I'm sure there will be journeyman vet QBs to sign as a band-aid and that would be oh so Vikings. Right on brand. And yes, no doubt the odds are way better drafting a QB early. But that would cause an implosion because then you really are admitting the Cousins' signing was a mistake. I don't think they can be that blatant.....yet. 

Everyone on this board, in Minnesota, in the sports media had penciled in the Vikings as the NFC Superbowl faves last season: and it was a shit show. I just dont see how that will change this season. 
I'm a little worried the Vikings will be too afraid to draft or sign a rookie QB this year because of how it would look with Cousins on the roster, kind of like how they never stocked the pipeline behind TJack, Ponder, Teddy, etc.  Hopefully those chickenshit days are over, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

Having said that, I really like Sloter and hope he is the answer after Cousins, but they still need to have a continuous flow of young QBs coming in just in case he's not.  It's a little like playing the lottery, you never know when you will hit the jackpot, but you sure as hell can't win by not playing.

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@StickyBun said:
@Wetlander said:

I'm a little worried the Vikings will be too afraid to draft or sign a rookie QB this year because of how it would look with Cousins on the roster, kind of like how they never stocked the pipeline behind TJack, Ponder, Teddy, etc.  Hopefully those chickenshit days are over, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

Having said that, I really like Sloter and hope he is the answer after Cousins, but they still need to have a continuous flow of young QBs coming in just in case he's not.  It's a little like playing the lottery, you never know when you will hit the jackpot, but you sure as hell can't win by not playing.
With only two years left on Cousins contract, I don't think the Vikings are overly concerned with the kind of message it sends. They might actually like the message it sends. It's just not the year to do it IMO. Vikings don't need competition for Cousins right now and they sure as hell won't find it among mid-round rookies in this QB class (with the possible exception of Will Grier who might last until the 3rd round). They need to bring in a QB who can provide a legitimate competition for Sloter not Cousins. And that's either a veteran or a late round draft pick. Their best investment for 2019 is doing everything they can to improve the OL and shape the offense around Cousins...which it sounds like they're doing. 

If they decide they don't want to extend Cousins, 2020 will be the year they draft his replacement. But 2019 will be the year that determines it, not 2018. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

With only two years left on Cousins contract, I don't think the Vikings are overly concerned with the kind of message it sends. They might actually like the message it sends. It's just not the year to do it IMO. Vikings don't need competition for Cousins right now and they sure as hell won't find it among mid-round rookies in this QB class (with the possible exception of Will Grier who might last until the 3rd round). They need to bring in a QB who can provide a legitimate competition for Sloter not Cousins. And that's either a veteran or a late round draft pick. Their best investment for 2019 is doing everything they can to improve the OL and shape the offense around Cousins...which it sounds like they're doing. 

If they decide they don't want to extend Cousins, 2020 will be the year they draft his replacement. But 2019 will be the year that determines it, not 2018. 
Couldn't agree more...