Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL rule changes

I don't know if this is good or bad. I am almost feeling like replay should go away for the sake of a watchable game though I know it will not.

I'm not a fan of that rule change at all. Calls on the field are subjective as it is and it feels like another way to hurt defenses. I would just rather keep the game moving and accept that there will always be bad calls.

So others whines and cry, complain in the press about poor officiating and they get a fined. Payton does it and gets what he wants. I don't know if I like this change or not. I sure don't like how it apparently came into being.

What next? all plays will be reviewed for a penalty.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
So others whines and cry, complain in the press about poor officiating and they get a fined. Payton does it and gets what he wants. I don't know if I like this change or not. I sure don't like how it apparently came into being.

Just like the Brady rule came about, you can't hit at or below the knees.  The Aaron Rodgers rule that you can't land on them with your body weight.  It's all good until it applies to them and it goes against them.  Then watch the amount of crying (See Clay Matthews for reference).

On the other hand, if this rule had been in place 10 years ago... we'd already have a Super Bowl trophy in our case.  And the Saints would have none.  

What are the chances that the first time this is used in a Vikings game it will be in their favor?  As it pertains to the Vikings I'm generally a pessimist about things going their way. :/

There was a lot of conversation about this on GMFB today.  I tend to agree with those on there that weren't very positive about it.  The truth is that, like holding, pass interference by the letter of the rule happens on a lot of passing plays.  However, they don't generally throw a flag on the "little stuff."  Are they going to or do they have to actually make the little stuff a penalty if it's challenged?  If so I think it could be a bigger factor than people might think.

The NFL won't stop tinkering with the rules until into the near future you will watch a football game with the final score 106-101.  Wasn't that an exciting game!

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
The NFL won't stop tinkering with the rules until into the near future you will watch a football game with the final score 106-101.  Wasn't that an exciting game!
I know let's shorten the field to 50 yards. Do away with punting and out of bounds. Every field goal attempt is off a net and returnable. Has that ever been tried?  Bet we could get close to 100 points each that way.