Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saints to Sign Nick Easton
Quote: @medaille said:
I guess I’m not super-worried at this point.  I still think we need to draft two guards and
bring in a FA to push them or be there in case one sucks.  It didn’t look like we were going to get a
premier FA guard, so I’m not sure overpaying for Easton fixes much as even with
Easton we’re hoping for our guards to be an upgrade.
This. We all gotta take a deep breath here.  I think they are relying HEAVILY on what Kubes will bring to this offense, especially the run game.  If you get that fixed, our play action will be deadly. As a fallback we have 2 wr’s that consistently get open even getting the ball out quickly and you cant double both of them. 

The Vikings OL is simply a recurring nightmare... 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
Damn...this one stings. Some of the low ball numbers I'd seen fans throw around in mock offseasons were ridiculous for a 26 year old with this pass blocking grade, versatility and starting experience. $6M per is just as crazy. But the market is what it is and the Vikings have to adjust. 

I don't know how the Vikings expect to compete for players like Easton, Schraeder, etc., without any cap space. Waynes should've been traded weeks ago. I'm even questioning the wisdom of restructuring Griffen instead of just releasing him. Reminds me of an undisciplined kid who wants this, that and the other thing, but isn't willing to make the sacrifices to get there. 

After the Vikings re-signed Barr, they should have cut Griffen (as much as I hate to say it).  It was going to be tough to keep both and have enough cap space to address the offensive line with a quality FA player.  If the Vikings didn't want to make that decision, they should have just let Barr walk.  I said it after we re-signed Kendricks, I didn't think it made sense to pay two LBers top money when we run a 4-3 defense.  Now we're seeing the downside of that decision and the impact on our cap situation...
It's crazy to think that we still have to add a K and at least one OL.  They can still work on Rudy's deal by offering him an extension to lower his cap number, but they've backed themselves into a corner right now.  It's basically maneuver yourself in the draft to get the best offensive lineman available with your first pick and go from there.

Absolutely true. We still have $7.9M cap tied up in Griffen, and he simply pushes back Weatherly's development. Cut him (or give him a take-it-or-leave-it offer to drop salary to his remaining $1.2M guarantee), and we have $6.7M free. That buys Easton.
I don't see how the Vikings could have been offering Easton anything significant whatsoever. If we sign anyone else we need to free money before signing our draft picks. Trade Waynes? Come on, Zimmer doesn't want to lose any defenders, he sure as hell isn't going to bank on Hughes coming back ready to start game 1.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@medaille said:
I guess I’m not super-worried at this point.  I still think we need to draft two guards and
bring in a FA to push them or be there in case one sucks.  It didn’t look like we were going to get a
This. We all gotta take a deep breath here.  I think they are relying HEAVILY on what Kubes will bring to this offense, especially the run game.  If you get that fixed, our play action will be deadly. As a fallback we have 2 wr’s that consistently get open even getting the ball out quickly and you cant double both of them. 
There's some truth to this. Look what Gruden's doing in Oakland after taking over. Now, most people think he's making matter worse by trading Cooper and Mack, which I would tend to agree with, but right or wrong, he's building the team he wants through the draft.

Kubes might be targeting the draft to reshape the line as a true ZBS. We'll need another day two pick to do it right. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
Damn...this one stings. Some of the low ball numbers I'd seen fans throw around in mock offseasons were ridiculous for a 26 year old with this pass blocking grade, versatility and starting experience. $6M per is just as crazy. But the market is what it is and the Vikings have to adjust. 

I don't know how the Vikings expect to compete for players like Easton, Schraeder, etc., without any cap space. Waynes should've been traded weeks ago. I'm even questioning the wisdom of restructuring Griffen instead of just releasing him. Reminds me of an undisciplined kid who wants this, that and the other thing, but isn't willing to make the sacrifices to get there. 

After the Vikings re-signed Barr, they should have cut Griffen (as much as I hate to say it).  It was going to be tough to keep both and have enough cap space to address the offensive line with a quality FA player.  If the Vikings didn't want to make that decision, they should have just let Barr walk.  I said it after we re-signed Kendricks, I didn't think it made sense to pay two LBers top money when we run a 4-3 defense.  Now we're seeing the downside of that decision and the impact on our cap situation...
It's crazy to think that we still have to add a K and at least one OL.  They can still work on Rudy's deal by offering him an extension to lower his cap number, but they've backed themselves into a corner right now.  It's basically maneuver yourself in the draft to get the best offensive lineman available with your first pick and go from there.

Absolutely true. We still have $7.9M cap tied up in Griffen, and he simply pushes back Weatherly's development. Cut him (or give him a take-it-or-leave-it offer to drop salary to his remaining $1.2M guarantee), and we have $6.7M free. That buys Easton.
I don't see how the Vikings could have been offering Easton anything significant whatsoever. If we sign anyone else we need to free money before signing our draft picks. Trade Waynes? Come on, Zimmer doesn't want to lose any defenders, he sure as hell isn't going to bank on Hughes coming back ready to start game 1.
And yet the Vikings were shopping him at the combine. And teams are continuing to call about him even after his guarantee triggered, which means the Vikings haven't told anyone he's NOT available...like they did with Diggs over the weekend...Schefter getting the very blunt response "**** no." 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Wetlander said:
@lakeerievike said:
@SFVikeFan said:
Well that's going to sting.  Now we need 2 starting OG's and a backup.  Expect trade talk to heat up.
Let's not forget, Aviante Collins was playing LT well before he got injured.  Potentially, they could kick Reiff inside to LG and put Collins at LT. 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/8/13/...s-best-fit 
It's hard to say where the Vikings view his best position...  personally, I think it's at OG or RT.  He's definitely athletic enough to play either LG or RG in the Vikings scheme and that might be his best fit (on the interior).
Looking at our current depth chart, it's laughable...  we have:

LT:  Reiff
LG: Collins?
C:  Elflein, Edison
RG: Isidora?
RT: O'Neill
Backups: Rashod Hill (swing tackle), Storm Norton (Fringe player), and Adam Bisnowaty (T - Fringe player)
That's it...  if that's our starting 5 and depth, we're screwed.  LOL

I think you're on the right track. I would tend to think he is either a swing tackle or RG. If they had to run with their players as of today I think they would roll with 

LT - O'Neill 
LG - Reiff 
C - Elflein 
RG - Isidora
RT - Hill 

To be completely honest I don't think that would be any worse than what they played with last season. Remmers & Compton were the worst two guards in the NFL. So it doesn't take much to move up from there. 
I think that's pretty accurate, but I might replace Isidora with Collins. The upside buzz about Collins was pretty strong before his injury. Haven't heard anything positive about Isidora since his rookie season. Sounds like he may have plateaued at career backup. 

I've always been a big fan of Ryan Schraeder and if we can donate some plasma, then look under the couch cushions to cull together a few dollars pay him (or trade Waynes), and then go "hog" wild in the draft, then that improves the picture quite a bit. 

LT - O'Neill - Hill
LG - Reiff - Lindstrom (d2a)
C - Bradbury (d1) - Elflein
RG - Elflein - Collins/Isidora
RT - Schraeder - McGary (d2b)

Piece a cake. 
I think what you've shown is that with a single free agent signing (Schraeder, Kline, Spain, etc..) the line can be repaired with draft picks. It's time to be concerned, but not time to panic quite yet. The O-line market throughout free agency has been out of control. Being so strapped for cap space I can respect that they aren't overpaying for marginal players that don't fit the scheme. 

Outside of the O-line there are a few areas across the roster that need added depth but few needs. 

@Bullazin said:
@medaille said:
There's some truth to this. Look what Gruden's doing in Oakland after taking over. Now, most people think he's making matter worse by trading Cooper and Mack, which I would tend to agree with, but right or wrong, he's building the team he wants through the draft.

Kubes might be targeting the draft to reshape the line as a true ZBS. We'll need another day two pick to do it right. 
Yeah you might want to rethink that nickname for Kubiak. Just sayin.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
@medaille said:

Wasn't me. People have been calling him Kubes for years. 

@Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
@medaille said:

Ok then. I have never heard that but that is incredibly fucked up.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Bullazin said:
@medaille said:

Ok then. I have never heard that but that is incredibly fucked up.
the entire Twins fan base used to drone "KOOBS" out when ever Jason Kubel would come to the plate for the Twins.   Its just a name unless I am missing something?