Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attention K-Mart Shoppers
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
There's a reason Kubiak said in his presser that the Viking's current O-Line has talent (eye roll). Minnesota cannot fix the position in just one year. Prepare for disappointment. 
They aren't going to go from worst to first. But I think with Kubiak's scheme and some upgrades the expectations should be that they're at least average. Anything less is a complete failure by this front office as they'd now had the same weakness for 4 straight seasons. 
That's a fair expectation: average. Incremental improvement is the top side scenario. But anything less and really, the whole regime should go. 

Do any of you go to auctions? I collect (and occasionally flip) Petroliana like Porcelain Signs, Gas Pumps and Globes, Oil Cans, etc.

There's normally 1 Big Ticket Item and 4-5 other things I'm interested in at each auction I attend.

If the Big Ticket item comes up first I'm All In...Until it gets bid up past what's it's worth, which happens a lot and I WON'T OVERPAY!

If the other items come up first I have to be careful not to compromise my ability to afford the Big Ticket item. But I don't want to miss out on a deal only to find out later that I never had a chance at the Big Ticket piece.

So I set a price in my mind for the other items and if I score a few for good deals and can't bid on the Big Ticket item I still had a good day.

Free Agency is the same. And James absolutely the frick was not a Big Ticket item. 

If Rick busted the bank on him and couldn't be in on Saffold as a result I'd have been very ticked off. If he scored James at a decent price that's a different story.

Folks, the auction is long. Have some patience and try to withhold absolute judgements until it is almost over. This one has just begun.

Quote: @FSUVike said:

Folks, the auction is long. Have some patience and try to withhold absolute judgements until it is almost over. This one has just begun.
Pfffft, what fun is that?

Quote: @pumpf said:
There's no way we'll miss Remmers... unless we moved him to RT again... and then moved O'Neill to LT... and then moved Reiff to LG...
Ugh.  I am sick of us moving our OL around.  So let's not.  We'll be OK.  We need to re-sign Easton for LG... but I still don't know why they don't give Isadora a chance.  If not him, then we'll need to get an old, cheap replacement (1 year deal)... or draft someone who can step in right away.
Interestingly, I listened to Joe Thomas during the combine, he stated unequivocally “it takes a minimum of 2 to 3 months to get comfortable when swittching from the left side to the right side or vice versa”

The dude may know a thing or two about OL play, so please pay attention Vikings!  

Quote: @Kentis said:
@pumpf said:
There's no way we'll miss Remmers... unless we moved him to RT again... and then moved O'Neill to LT... and then moved Reiff to LG...
Ugh.  I am sick of us moving our OL around.  So let's not.  We'll be OK.  We need to re-sign Easton for LG... but I still don't know why they don't give Isadora a chance.  If not him, then we'll need to get an old, cheap replacement (1 year deal)... or draft someone who can step in right away.
Interestingly, I listened to Joe Thomas during the combine, he stated unequivocally “it takes a minimum of 2 to 3 months to get comfortable when swittching from the left side to the right side or vice versa”

The dude may know a thing or two about OL play, so please pay attention Vikings!  
It may take JOE "only" that long... but I think it takes mere mortals even longer.  I don't think we "as Viking fans" have seen one (recently) has been able to do it- even after much longer than 3 months.  Remmers moved to RG... and was abysmal.  Hill moved all over... and got worse as he went.  I'm probably forgetting some other examples.  But the point is that it's just not easy to do.  And unless you've played it at a high level, you wouldn't understand it.  So... it's like the Vikings don't have anyone on staff that played OL at the professional level: to tell them to knock it off and play guys were there are used to playing!

@Kentis said:
@pumpf said:

It may take JOE "only" that long... but I think it takes mere mortals even longer.  I don't think we "as Viking fans" have seen one (recently) has been able to do it- even after much longer than 3 months.  Remmers moved to RG... and was abysmal.  Hill moved all over... and got worse as he went.  I'm probably forgetting some other examples.  But the point is that it's just not easy to do.  And unless you've played it at a high level, you wouldn't understand it.  So... it's like the Vikings don't have anyone on staff that played OL at the professional level: to tell them to knock it off and play guys were there are used to playing!
Don’t forget Fucko from Slippery Rock...!  B) 

More recently was Sirles, showed promise as a rookie and then got shuffled to 3 other spots along the front 5 and it drug down his performance.  They are now playing that game with Collins.  These guys get devalued to quickly because instead of spending time working and mastering 1 position they are forced to try and half ass multiple ones and then they screw up and look lke shit. 

Maybe until we have 5 solid starters and 4 quality reserves the team should start carrying an extra lineman so we dont need the subs to play musical chairs all offseason trying to fit multiple roles and let them work and play where they fit the best for a couple years.  I bet they wish they had kept an extra guy out of camp last year and not exposed then to other teams and then lost them. 

@Kentis said:
@pumpf said:

Can't argue with Thomas but the Vikings were talking about moving Reiff to guard so moving O'Neill would have happened early this off season giving him mini camps, OTAs, training camp, and the preseason to get ready.
Is that long enough?
O'Neill played his first two years at right tackle and then switched over to left tackle in his last season at Pitt.Then, he switches back to right tackle from the time they drafted him until the start of the season.
Seems to me that there is evidence right there looking at us showing that he is capable.
Tyron Smith and Nate Solder both played right tackle their first season in the NFL.
I would say that O'Neill's athleticism probably helps him more.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@pumpf said:
@Kentis said:
@pumpf said:

Can't argue with Thomas but the Vikings were talking about moving Reiff to guard so moving O'Neill would have happened early this off season giving him mini camps, OTAs, training camp, and the preseason to get ready.
Is that long enough?
O'Neill played his first two years at right tackle and then switched over to left tackle in his last season at Pitt.Then, he switches back to right tackle from the time they drafted him until the start of the season.
Seems to me that there is evidence right there looking at us showing that he is capable.
Tyron Smith and Nate Solder both played right tackle their first season in the NFL.
Based on what he showed on film at Pitt, he looked more natural on the left side. Need is ultimately what forced the Vikings to move him over to the right side. If you remember all the way back to OTA's last off-season the Vikings were planning on Reiff/Hill to be their two tackles with O'Neill being the swing guy while he developed. Personally I could go either way on whether it would be best to slide him back over to the left side and some of it will be dependent on his ability/inability to add weight this off-season. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@pumpf said:
@Kentis said:
@pumpf said:

Is that long enough?
Based on what he showed on film at Pitt, he looked more natural on the left side. Need is ultimately what forced the Vikings to move him over to the right side. If you remember all the way back to OTA's last off-season the Vikings were planning on Reiff/Hill to be their two tackles with O'Neill being the swing guy while he developed. Personally I could go either way on whether it would be best to slide him back over to the left side and some of it will be dependent on his ability/inability to add weight this off-season. 
Yep, O'Neill is very athletic....its what you want at LT. This board worries WAY too much about the details.