Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Tackle Jared Veldheer Anyone?

1. The Minnesota Vikings are looking for answers as to why the 2018 season that began with such high expectations ended with the team watching the playoffs on TV.
    There's plenty of blame to go around, but at the heart of the team's offensive struggles in 2018 was a line that was, well, offensive.
    That line's going to be searching for multiple upgrades this offseason—especially with the team considering kicking left tackle Riley Reiff inside to guard after a miserable second season with the team.
    There's a problem, though, because of course there is. The Vikings possess only about $7 million in salary-cap space right now.
    That's not going to get it done with any of the big names on the offensive line.
    It might be enough, however, for an aging veteran who used to be a big name. That description fits Jared Veldheer, a 31-year-old nine-year veteran with 113 career starts who has played extensively at both left and right tackle.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819...cy#slide20

[Image: hi-res-718048b5ba154b9b8eadadbe7cc41b91_...crop_y=top]

I hate to be picky, but I'm hoping we aim a little higher than that. He's been hurt a lot. On the plus side, he's a decent athlete for his size. Knows zone blocking. And there won't be any surprises due to the Kubiak connection. Keep the tackles in place sign either Saffold or Easton. Then draft two more. 

They are going to need about 5 mil or so of that cap space for the rookies. Sort of.
I prefer to keep Reiff at left tackle and if they do not think he fits there anymore then they should move him (Jets or Bills come to mind) for a 5th round pick if possible.
Saves 5.1 mil in cap space.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
They are going to need about 5 mil or so of that cap space for the rookies. Sort of.
I prefer to keep Reiff at left tackle and if they do not think he fits there anymore then they should move him (Jets or Bills come to mind) for a 5th round pick if possible.
Saves 5.1 mil in cap space.
$2.6M unless they trade for additional picks Smile So good news! 

The connection makes sense. I just don't see the clear upgrade than if you just leave Reiff & O'Neill at tackle. If you throw Veldheer into the mix it bumps Reiff inside and I don't know if you'd be allocating your assets in the best way you could.