Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overtime rules
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's as necessary as some other changes. 

I'd just keep the coin toss and install a rule that says both teams get to have the ball at least once, regardless of whether the first score is a FG or TD. 

I'd also eliminate ties and use the above playoff OT rules for all games. By allowing ties in regular season you're basically saying that those games just aren't as important. Every game is important. After the 1st overtime, it becomes sudden death. 

I would also eliminate the idea that "some" calls can't be overturned. Everything should be held under the same scrutiny. It's ridiculous that we all know the truth of what happened but no one can do anything about it. All calls will be scrutinized by a team of refs in the booth who review plays and make an immediate decision based on majority vote.  No more time-consuming sideline reviews under a cape. 
The only problem with that is it could create a competitive advantage for one team.  Let's say the team that gets the ball first, goes down and scores a TD on their first possession in OT.  Now the other team knows they need to score a TD to keep the game going and they can go for it on every 4th down and call plays differently given the down and distance knowing they will have 4 downs to get a first.
The OT rules will never be perfect, but I do like the current format.  If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD on their first possession, you probably don't deserve to get a chance to win the game yourself.  I hated the sudden death rules where the first team to get a FG wins.  This is much better.

well if the first team scores via a FG in OT the other team currently has the same advantage of using all 4 downs to match that FG or better it.

Very true...  the second team still has an advantage, but typically that would be eliminated once they are in FG range.  Most coaches won't go for a 4th down once they are in FG range in that situation.  They'll tie the game and hope to get a stop on the next possession.
It'll never be perfect...  even if the NFL decided to eliminate the current rules and have both teams play another full quarter, you'd have people complaining that their team didn't have enough time to score if the other team had a long possession that ended in a TD.
It's always fun to read what fans think up though...  I've had a few crazy ideas myself...  :-D

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's as necessary as some other changes. 

I'd just keep the coin toss and install a rule that says both teams get to have the ball at least once, regardless of whether the first score is a FG or TD. 

I'd also eliminate ties and use the above playoff OT rules for all games. By allowing ties in regular season you're basically saying that those games just aren't as important. Every game is important. After the 1st overtime, it becomes sudden death. 

I would also eliminate the idea that "some" calls can't be overturned. Everything should be held under the same scrutiny. It's ridiculous that we all know the truth of what happened but no one can do anything about it. All calls will be scrutinized by a team of refs in the booth who review plays and make an immediate decision based on majority vote.  No more time-consuming sideline reviews under a cape. 
The only problem with that is it could create a competitive advantage for one team.  Let's say the team that gets the ball first, goes down and scores a TD on their first possession in OT.  Now the other team knows they need to score a TD to keep the game going and they can go for it on every 4th down and call plays differently given the down and distance knowing they will have 4 downs to get a first.
The OT rules will never be perfect, but I do like the current format.  If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD on their first possession, you probably don't deserve to get a chance to win the game yourself.  I hated the sudden death rules where the first team to get a FG wins.  This is much better.

well if the first team scores via a FG in OT the other team currently has the same advantage of using all 4 downs to match that FG or better it.

Very true...  the second team still has an advantage, but typically that would be eliminated once they are in FG range.  Most coaches won't go for a 4th down once they are in FG range in that situation.  They'll tie the game and hope to get a stop on the next possession.
It'll never be perfect...  even if the NFL decided to eliminate the current rules and have both teams play another full quarter, you'd have people complaining that their team didn't have enough time to score if the other team had a long possession that ended in a TD.
It's always fun to read what fans think up though...  I've had a few crazy ideas myself...  :-D

the league would defintely be helped at times if they had a fan submission forum,  however I wouldnt be surprised to learn that they have some sort of data mining bots that watch our fan sites to pull their information from.

I'd be satisfied with Quarter 5, 15 minutes, no bs rules or stipulations; whoever is winning at the end of the extra quarter wins. By the time both teams possess the ball, there is little time left in OT anyways... Just keep playing football and who ever is winning at the end of extended time wins.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
I'd be satisfied with Quarter 5, 15 minutes, no bs rules or stipulations; whoever is winning at the end of the extra quarter wins. By the time both teams possess the ball, there is little time left in OT anyways... Just keep playing football and who ever is winning at the end of extended time wins.
And if tied & playoffs at end of Q5, play Q 6 at 10 mins.  

Best idea yet ^^.  

Quote: @savannahskol said:
@BlackMagic7 said:
And if tied & playoffs at end of Q5, play Q 6 at 10 mins.  

Best idea yet ^^.  
Screw that,  make the lineman alternate take turns kicking field goals until one team makes one and the other teams lineman misses.  Only those 290 and over are eligible for the kick-off.

i mean, the entire game is unfair if you think about it. Do both teams get equal time/possession of the ball during a game?

There shouldn't be Quarters at all. A football game should be a 16 possession death match beginning at each team's 20 yard line. ...let 'em smoke cigarettes and drink Frescas after 8...

Confused

----

I think we should just go back to sudden death and knock this crap off...

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
 A football game should be a 16 possession death match beginning at each team's 20 yard line. ...
^^ That's the college tie-breaker, no?  Smile

I get that the college OT rules are entertaining, but what football purist abides rules where a ref plops the ball w/in FG distance at the onset?

Apostasy.  

Don't talk yerself out of it, BM7.  Your penultimate post was golden. Smile 

Thought I should say I wasn't trying to knock or scold anyone here "shooting the shit," if you will. There were a lot of interesting thoughts and ideas in here. I reacted to the post coming off reading other sites and discussion on it feigning disgust over the current rules... the adjusted rules... 

you hit the point where it's like... ya know what? it's disgusting that if your team sucks so bad that they let the opponent drive the opening possession of OT into field goal range... knowing full ****ing well that you've needed to stop them from doing that since 1953 or whatever the ****, you obviously deserve to lose. Thinking about how bad kickers have seem to become, think about how good they recently used to be in order to make the NFL and fans want to change the overtime rule!

---

... lol, I was thinking 80 yards to drive it (own 20), but yea college rules I guess. Now that you got me thinking about moving it closer to the endzone... screw it; make a full game 16 possessions from the goal line.

Could you imagine that meat grinder of a football game?!

I'd prefer to just go back to sudden death.