Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overtime rules
I don't think that the rules need to be changed... but if they were, THIS is the change I'd like to see:
Add in a choice at the beginning of the game (the first coin toss), so that a team can choose (before the game even starts) to have the ball to start the overtime (if the game gets to that point).  Then no one can complain, because that team had the choice to make a decision at the start of the game... or in OT.  If the team chooses to have the OT choice, then the losing team gets to choose the ball or to defend a side of the field.  At half time, the team that did not receive the kick-off gets the ball (or can choose to defend a side) to start the 2nd half.  

Besides taking away the whining factor, it also lets teams know- before overtime starts- who is going to get the ball (or, at the very least, the choice) first.  Maybe a team won't be as quick to play for a tie, if they know that the other team will get the ball to start the overtime.

By the way, I can't take credit for this; I saw it on reddit.  All I did was expand on it.  

Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's as necessary as some other changes. 

I'd just keep the coin toss and install a rule that says both teams get to have the ball at least once, regardless of whether the first score is a FG or TD. 

I'd also eliminate ties and use the above playoff OT rules for all games. By allowing ties in regular season you're basically saying that those games just aren't as important. Every game is important. After the 1st overtime, it becomes sudden death. 

I would also eliminate the idea that "some" calls can't be overturned. Everything should be held under the same scrutiny. It's ridiculous that we all know the truth of what happened but no one can do anything about it. All calls will be scrutinized by a team of refs in the booth who review plays and make an immediate decision based on majority vote.  No more time-consuming sideline reviews under a cape. 

Just have two 5 minute periods, each with a two minute warning and three time outs. Loser of the original coin toss gets to choose whether they get the kickoff in the first period or the second. If still tied in playoffs, rinse and repeat.

This is not an overtime rule change but with onside kicks becoming irrelevant with the new rule changes, one idea would be to give a team a chance at their with the ball to make 10 yards in one play. If successful you keep the ball. Saw this is coming in the new league this winter and figured it would be good for the NFL as well. Watching onside kicks was pretty pointless this year.

Quote: @kmillard said:
This is not an overtime rule change but with onside kicks becoming irrelevant with the new rule changes, one idea would be to give a team a chance at their with the ball to make 10 yards in one play. If successful you keep the ball. Saw this is coming in the new league this winter and figured it would be good for the NFL as well. Watching onside kicks was pretty pointless this year.
I think an onsides kick should be a desperation play.  I wouldn’t change that at all.

How about teams just learn to win in regulation  time?  

And as much as I hate bad calls,  let's not add more review to the games,  it's already nauseating how long some of this takes,  reviewing or challenging every call will kill the game quicker than the concussion issue.  It needs flow and with penalties being able to be called on every play it would be a nightmare of its own.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

I'd just keep the coin toss and install a rule that says both teams get to have the ball at least once, regardless of whether the first score is a FG or TD. 

I'd also eliminate ties and use the above playoff OT rules for all games. By allowing ties in regular season you're basically saying that those games just aren't as important. Every game is important. After the 1st overtime, it becomes sudden death. 

I would also eliminate the idea that "some" calls can't be overturned. Everything should be held under the same scrutiny. It's ridiculous that we all know the truth of what happened but no one can do anything about it. All calls will be scrutinized by a team of refs in the booth who review plays and make an immediate decision based on majority vote.  No more time-consuming sideline reviews under a cape. 
The only problem with that is it could create a competitive advantage for one team.  Let's say the team that gets the ball first, goes down and scores a TD on their first possession in OT.  Now the other team knows they need to score a TD to keep the game going and they can go for it on every 4th down and call plays differently given the down and distance knowing they will have 4 downs to get a first.
The OT rules will never be perfect, but I do like the current format.  If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD on their first possession, you probably don't deserve to get a chance to win the game yourself.  I hated the sudden death rules where the first team to get a FG wins.  This is much better.

I'd be okay with one small tweak to the current rules - the first offense must score 8 to prevent the second team getting a possession. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:

The only problem with that is it could create a competitive advantage for one team.  Let's say the team that gets the ball first, goes down and scores a TD on their first possession in OT.  Now the other team knows they need to score a TD to keep the game going and they can go for it on every 4th down and call plays differently given the down and distance knowing they will have 4 downs to get a first.
The OT rules will never be perfect, but I do like the current format.  If you can't stop a team from scoring a TD on their first possession, you probably don't deserve to get a chance to win the game yourself.  I hated the sudden death rules where the first team to get a FG wins.  This is much better.

well if the first team scores via a FG in OT the other team currently has the same advantage of using all 4 downs to match that FG or better it.

Some good options that make sense to me.

1. Don’t
    have “Overtime” (where you take a break and restart with a coin toss).  Instead just let teams keep playing until
    someone scores and breaks the tie. 
    If a team has the ball and it’s going to be 2nd and 10
    at the 45 when time expires, they get the ball at the 45 and it’s 2nd
    and 10, but now there’s no game clock only a play clock.  I never considered this option, but the
    more I think about it the more I like it.
  2. Do
    something similar to the NCAA model, where each offense gets a try against
    each defense.  And it’s broken down
    into rounds, so that each offense and defense have to play each round.  Whoever has the higher score at the end
    of a round wins the game.  It
    rotates who starts each round. 
    However, the drives start with a kickoff, so that teams have to
    drive the whole length of the field, so that defenses have a better chance
    of preventing scoring.  Here are
    some possible variants.
    1. No
      coin toss.  Team that loses the
      coin toss at the beginning of the game gets the choice in OT.  It balances teams wanting to defer, so
      that they get the benefit of scoring before and after the half with teams
      getting the OT benefit of going second.
    2. No
      punting.  Speeds up OT.  If the first team in the round turns over
      on downs, they kick off instead of punting.  If the second team in the round
      turnsover on downs, they either lose because the other team scored or
      another round is started.
    3. If
      you keep punting.  Punting or a
      turnover triggers sudden death.