Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The McVay Effect: How does Vikings’ Zimmer stay relevant amid seismic shift in NFL?
Quote: @medaille said:
I like McVay, but I would like to see him have some
adversity to deal with on offense.

I think teams need to be dominant on both sides but they
should prioritize offense.  I think it’s
just easier to win if you are consistently scoring points.  I think it’s easier to push a little harder
on a dominant offense to get an extra touchdown, than it is hold an opposing
offense under 10-13 when you can’t move the ball at all, but you need
both.  Teams that are one sided aren’t
often likely to make it deep, unless they get lucky with injuries.

That said, I think the idea that McVay means old coaches are
outdated and we need to hire 30 somethings is ludicrous.  I think you’re much more likely to get a JDF
type performance than you are to get a McVay type performance.  McVay doesn’t even have the best offense in
the league.  The best offense in the
league is run by a 60 year old in KC.
Yeah but hiring fat old guys is much less desirable than energetic dashing young men.

Bill Bellichek and Andy Reid could probably be Sean McVays' grandpa. 

I noticed Saints coach Payton spells his name "Sean" as well. Maybe that's the secret. We don't need a 30 year old coach... just go get a dude named Sean. How the media has missed this is beyond me.

It’ll be hard to duplicate McVay. The guy is like a savant, recalling playcalls made over the years including the different players, different teams, the situations & the results involved verbatim. He’s also so good at relating to the players he seems to bring out their most on both sides of the ball. He’s the total package, we’ll have to see if any of these other guys can carry that forward...

Quote: @Kentis said:
It’ll be hard to duplicate McVay. The guy is like a savant, recalling playcalls made over the years including the different players, different teams, the situations & the results involved verbatim. He’s also so good at relating to the players he seems to bring out their most on both sides of the ball. He’s the total package, we’ll have to see if any of these other guys can carry that forward...
That all works as long as you keep winning!

The current flaw that modern offenses have exploited is that you have 15-20 yards outside the receivers on each side of the field to use pre-snap. Typically you hear how the QB reads the defense, makes his progressions, and delivers the ball. By using side to side motion you are make the defense reactionary to what you're going to do. So you basically are flipping who has the advantage. You WR's moving side to side are no match for LB's and the DB's are easily blocked 1x1 if receivers do their jobs.

Since the NFL is cyclical in nature teams will begin drafting more athletic DE's and putting together big nickel packages to have the extra safety set the edge. Chicago just happened to have the right personnel to do that this year. Once others adapt something new will be introduced. 

Are you saying Bill Musgrave was on to something?!  :p