Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings may draft DL in the 1st
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:
We do need major help at DT.  Richardson is not the next Kevin Williams like we hoped.  He's ok, but obviously he's not the playmaker we had hoped for.  The Vikes might not even offer him a new deal, so the cupboard is pretty bare, don't you think?

If the BPA is a stud DT, I hope they get their guy. 

How is the cupboard bare? The last two drafts, we used our 3rd-round picks on DTs. In each case we traded out of that round to pick up some late picks, but were assured that in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes we were getting steals, "Day 2 talent". People were even comparing Holmes to Danielle Hunter, and we have a highly-lauded defensive coaching staff that can no doubt turn both of these into star linemen, right??
To pick those DTs, we also passed up offensive linemen that are starting for other teams (Julien Davenport in 2017, Mason Cole in 2018).
BPA is a nice draft philosophy. But when you starve a unit for a decade, and that unit is critical to the health and success of the most expensive player your ownership has ever invested in, BPA is a luxury a team can't afford.
I have no reason to believe Jaleel Johnson or Jalyn Holmes are going to be the future starters.  Of course I could be wrong, but if SR struggled making "splash plays", I just don't see either of these two young guys as upgrades.

If Richardson walks away from the Vikes, do you believe we have that kind of depth on the current roster where the DL improves?  What about Griff?  What if he left too?

I'd hate to improve the OLine while making our DLine worse.   They did draft O'Neill and Elflein, so I'm not in agreement with the OLine being ignored.

If the biggest impact player in the 1st is Oline, then go for it.  But, if the Vikes get a chance to get one of the top DTs or even LBers, I'd have no problem with that pick either.

Wouldn’t common sense dictate that w/ a deep draft of DT’s, some very good ones will be available after the 1st round...?  :o

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
with the lack of OL talent in the draft this will further push up the price of the limited OL available in FA,  I would like to see us grab Easton and one other interior OL in FA to take the pressure off of draft day,  but if the market is nuts we will be lucky to come out of FA with one starter let alone 2.   Ideally it would be great to go into the draft with all the starting positions penciled in and then just strictly be able to let the board work for us instead of Rick having to work the board and himself getting worked in the process.
Jonah Williams will go in or near the Top 10. Greg Little will be gone by #18. Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner & Yondy Cajuste could all easily go in the first. Cody Ford is becoming the default pick for Minnesota in the First in a lot of mocks lately. His running mate Powers will go in the 2nd and start from day 1. Bama's Piersbacher (or something like that) will also be a stater. Wisconsin has 3 guys who will likely all be gone by the 3rd Round.

So far it's a bunch of Tackles, many of whom project better as Guards. Once the process cranks up some of the pure guard prospects will start to move up like Ragnow & Price did last year.

Does this Draft have a Future HOF LT? Nope. Can't miss Guard like Quenton Nelson? Nope. But those type of players aren't ever available where the Vikings are picking anyway.

What it does have is quality depth. Unless you're TBro or Jimmy, who somehow watched even more College Football than me and formed the complete opposite opinion on most of these guys. Which is also a contradictory opinion to that of most Mocks that have anywhere from 4  to 7 O-Linemen going in the 1st Round of an allegedly weak Draft.

As for the original topic, I'd take Dexter Lawrence at #18. It's simple. Good starting talent available for the O-Line will still be there in the 2nd. Dexter is a monster. A legit Blue Chip prospect who might slide because teams reach for QBs and because of just how many really good DTs are in this Draft.

My personal blueprint is sign Mark Glowinski from the Colts for RG. Snag Lawrence in the 1st and Ross Pierschbacher in the 2nd. I'd also bring back Easton.

Now you've got 3 guys who can play Center (Elf, Easton, Pierschbacher) and a Guard who's played on both sides (Glowinski). Spend a 5th on a kid to push Isadora off the Roster and now you've got interior depth and insurance in case Elf doesn't rebound or if Easton isn't fully recovered.

Of course, that means the team is still All In on Reiff at LT. I'm not. So alternatively, if Lawrence is off the Board (likely) and Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor are available (likely at least one will be) and the FO doesn't have a similarly high grade on another DT like say Simmons from MSU, whom I love but not as much as Lawrence, then I take the OT.

Unlike Remmers, Reiff doesn't struggle with power. Speed is his weakness. He stands a much better chance of sliding inside than Mike did. If the draftee isn't ready for Tackle kick him inside instead for some seasoning or to eventually  take over at RT if O'Neil moves to LT after next year.

Either direction involves bringing back Easton and grabbing a Starter like Glowinski and using either a 1st or 2nd plus a later round depth pick.

It's actually FA that's thin, not the Draft. Saffold and Foster will be hot commodities that I don't see the FO overpaying for since they're both older players. Need to find the smart signing and work the Draft. Very doable.
how do I get lumped in here?  I admit that I dont watch as much CFB as most.   you have taken what I have said about wanting to sign 2 FA OL and draft 2 as me saying that rookies cant start on the OL and that is plain bull shit.. .what I have said is that I dont want to have to depend on rookies to start or even be available in the draft.   I think last year showed us that the league is waking up to the new rules and importance of quality OL play in determining the teams overall success and the run on 2nd round graded players in the first round was evidence of that.   Your proposal of glowinski ( 1FA) and easton plus 2 more in the draft is what I have been saying since mid season to fix this OL.
You specifically said this is a weak O-Line Class in your original post. Despite the reputation FSU has as a party school most of us, well, at least some of us alumni  know how to read.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:
We do need major help at DT.  Richardson is not the next Kevin Williams like we hoped.  He's ok, but obviously he's not the playmaker we had hoped for.  The Vikes might not even offer him a new deal, so the cupboard is pretty bare, don't you think?

How is the cupboard bare? The last two drafts, we used our 3rd-round picks on DTs. In each case we traded out of that round to pick up some late picks, but were assured that in Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes we were getting steals, "Day 2 talent". People were even comparing Holmes to Danielle Hunter, and we have a highly-lauded defensive coaching staff that can no doubt turn both of these into star linemen, right??
To pick those DTs, we also passed up offensive linemen that are starting for other teams (Julien Davenport in 2017, Mason Cole in 2018).
BPA is a nice draft philosophy. But when you starve a unit for a decade, and that unit is critical to the health and success of the most expensive player your ownership has ever invested in, BPA is a luxury a team can't afford.
I have no reason to believe Jaleel Johnson or Jalyn Holmes are going to be the future starters.  Of course I could be wrong, but if SR struggled making "splash plays", I just don't see either of these two young guys as upgrades.

If Richardson walks away from the Vikes, do you believe we have that kind of depth on the current roster where the DL improves?  What about Griff?  What if he left too?

I'd hate to improve the OLine while making our DLine worse.   They did draft O'Neill and Elflein, so I'm not in agreement with the OLine being ignored.

If the biggest impact player in the 1st is Oline, then go for it.  But, if the Vikes get a chance to get one of the top DTs or even LBers, I'd have no problem with that pick either.

I don't know if Johnson and Holmes are going to be future starters either - but if you don't rebuild the OL, does that mean we're confident Isadora and Collins are future starters? Seems like a worse bet, but for years the Vikings have looked at an OL squad full of late picks, UDFAs, and waiver castoffs and said, "That should be fine!" but then decided that one of their defensive units with a couple Pro Bowlers and multiple high draft picks was a "bare cupboard".
The greatest coaching ability on this team is allegedly defensive. Fine - let Zimmer and his buds coach a few of the day 3 picks Spielman collects into starters.
These coaches had Sheldon Richardson - 13th pick overall, former DROY, seasoned vet in his prime - and results were meh. Why would they do better with some mid-first-round rookie?

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
with the lack of OL talent in the draft this will further push up the price of the limited OL available in FA,  I would like to see us grab Easton and one other interior OL in FA to take the pressure off of draft day,  but if the market is nuts we will be lucky to come out of FA with one starter let alone 2.   Ideally it would be great to go into the draft with all the starting positions penciled in and then just strictly be able to let the board work for us instead of Rick having to work the board and himself getting worked in the process.
Jonah Williams will go in or near the Top 10. Greg Little will be gone by #18. Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner & Yondy Cajuste could all easily go in the first. Cody Ford is becoming the default pick for Minnesota in the First in a lot of mocks lately. His running mate Powers will go in the 2nd and start from day 1. Bama's Piersbacher (or something like that) will also be a stater. Wisconsin has 3 guys who will likely all be gone by the 3rd Round.

So far it's a bunch of Tackles, many of whom project better as Guards. Once the process cranks up some of the pure guard prospects will start to move up like Ragnow & Price did last year.

Does this Draft have a Future HOF LT? Nope. Can't miss Guard like Quenton Nelson? Nope. But those type of players aren't ever available where the Vikings are picking anyway.

What it does have is quality depth. Unless you're TBro or Jimmy, who somehow watched even more College Football than me and formed the complete opposite opinion on most of these guys. Which is also a contradictory opinion to that of most Mocks that have anywhere from 4  to 7 O-Linemen going in the 1st Round of an allegedly weak Draft.

As for the original topic, I'd take Dexter Lawrence at #18. It's simple. Good starting talent available for the O-Line will still be there in the 2nd. Dexter is a monster. A legit Blue Chip prospect who might slide because teams reach for QBs and because of just how many really good DTs are in this Draft.

My personal blueprint is sign Mark Glowinski from the Colts for RG. Snag Lawrence in the 1st and Ross Pierschbacher in the 2nd. I'd also bring back Easton.

Now you've got 3 guys who can play Center (Elf, Easton, Pierschbacher) and a Guard who's played on both sides (Glowinski). Spend a 5th on a kid to push Isadora off the Roster and now you've got interior depth and insurance in case Elf doesn't rebound or if Easton isn't fully recovered.

Of course, that means the team is still All In on Reiff at LT. I'm not. So alternatively, if Lawrence is off the Board (likely) and Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor are available (likely at least one will be) and the FO doesn't have a similarly high grade on another DT like say Simmons from MSU, whom I love but not as much as Lawrence, then I take the OT.

Unlike Remmers, Reiff doesn't struggle with power. Speed is his weakness. He stands a much better chance of sliding inside than Mike did. If the draftee isn't ready for Tackle kick him inside instead for some seasoning or to eventually  take over at RT if O'Neil moves to LT after next year.

Either direction involves bringing back Easton and grabbing a Starter like Glowinski and using either a 1st or 2nd plus a later round depth pick.

It's actually FA that's thin, not the Draft. Saffold and Foster will be hot commodities that I don't see the FO overpaying for since they're both older players. Need to find the smart signing and work the Draft. Very doable.
how do I get lumped in here?  I admit that I dont watch as much CFB as most.   you have taken what I have said about wanting to sign 2 FA OL and draft 2 as me saying that rookies cant start on the OL and that is plain bull shit.. .what I have said is that I dont want to have to depend on rookies to start or even be available in the draft.   I think last year showed us that the league is waking up to the new rules and importance of quality OL play in determining the teams overall success and the run on 2nd round graded players in the first round was evidence of that.   Your proposal of glowinski ( 1FA) and easton plus 2 more in the draft is what I have been saying since mid season to fix this OL.
You specifically said this is a weak O-Line Class in your original post. Despite the reputation FSU has as a party school most of us, well, at least some of us alumni  know how to read.
and I said that in reference to the #18 pick in that most draft pundits are saying that its not going to be a top heavy class.  those that dont get taken in the upper part of the draft typically need more work than those taken in the later rounds... now maybe its just a historically high year for DL talent and in 20 years we will see and HOF class of DL that exceeds all others,  but from everyting that I have heard and read... OL is going to be thin for day 1 starters.  if you disagree thats fine,  but I have never claimed to watch a lot of CFB and dont need you trying to put words into my mouth to make your point.

once the combine rolls around I will start to watch clips of players in question and form my own opinions, but for now, since its still really to early to form any hard opinions on the matters,  I read and will make statements on what I am reading... which is pretty much what most on these boards do.

Quote: @Kentis said:
Wouldn’t common sense dictate that w/ a deep draft of DT’s, some very good ones will be available after the 1st round...?  :o
Yes, and I've made that point as well. To that I would only say that in the draft there's a HUGE difference between getting top 10 value at 18 and getting top 50 value at 62. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:

I don't know if Johnson and Holmes are going to be future starters either - but if you don't rebuild the OL, does that mean we're confident Isadora and Collins are future starters? Seems like a worse bet, but for years the Vikings have looked at an OL squad full of late picks, UDFAs, and waiver castoffs and said, "That should be fine!" but then decided that one of their defensive units with a couple Pro Bowlers and multiple high draft picks was a "bare cupboard".
The greatest coaching ability on this team is allegedly defensive. Fine - let Zimmer and his buds coach a few of the day 3 picks Spielman collects into starters.
These coaches had Sheldon Richardson - 13th pick overall, former DROY, seasoned vet in his prime - and results were meh. Why would they do better with some mid-first-round rookie?
I think the team will focus on rebuilding the OLine.  I'm just not sure it will start in the 1st round.  They seem to have done well in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with recent Oline picks, so it's not like all hope of rebuilding the Oline is lost if they go defense with their first pick.

The draft has no guarantees, for sure.  But, if it's deep with DTs, there certainly could be more than one rookie that could be considered an upgrade over SR, and would cost considerably less.  Who knows, maybe they let Barr walk too, and then find the top LBer in round 1.  I wonder how many Longshipper heads would explode with that pick.  =)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

and I said that in reference to the #18 pick in that most draft pundits are saying that its not going to be a top heavy class.  those that dont get taken in the upper part of the draft typically need more work than those taken in the later rounds... now maybe its just a historically high year for DL talent and in 20 years we will see and HOF class of DL that exceeds all others,  but from everyting that I have heard and read... OL is going to be thin for day 1 starters.  if you disagree thats fine,  but I have never claimed to watch a lot of CFB and dont need you trying to put words into my mouth to make your point.

once the combine rolls around I will start to watch clips of players in question and form my own opinions, but for now, since its still really to early to form any hard opinions on the matters,  I read and will make statements on what I am reading... which is pretty much what most on these boards do.
I quoted you. Period. And also addressed your quote quite extensively using actual names of Players that could be available. I also acknowledged that there aren't any Blue Chip Can't Miss guys while also naming players that most pundits believe could start from Day 1. Keep being pissy if that's your new thing, but don't accuse me of putting words in your mouth when I abso-fucking-lutely the fuck did not.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I quoted you. Period. And also addressed your quote quite extensively using actual names of Players that could be available. I also acknowledged that there aren't any Blue Chip Can't Miss guys while also naming players that most pundits believe could start from Day 1. Keep being pissy if that's your new thing, but don't accuse me of putting words in your mouth when I abso-fucking-lutely the fuck did not.
hardly pissy,  just saying I have never claimed to have watched more CFB than you.  maybe you and TBro have some dick measuring going on over this matter,  but I would hardly want to whip out my CFB knowledge and have  it measured next to anybodies.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:

I mean you got a guy like Weatherly and even Jayron Kearse and Anthony Harris who didn't look to be much until this past year.  So guys who were roll players certainly can become starters.