Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigh
Is Colby Gossett the long-term answer at left guard?The rookie offensive guard is coming off a solid performance in loss to the Detroit LionsBy Andy Kwong@akwong31  Dec 15, 2018, 8:01am MST
[Image: usa_today_11835612.0.jpg]Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY SportsThe Arizona Cardinals lost their original starting offensive line for the season, forcing rookie offensive linemen into the starting lineup. There has been a lot of talk about Korey Cunninghamand him being the potential long-term answer at right tackle.
But very few people are talking about Colby Gossett, currently the Cardinals starting left guard.
The 23-year-old rookie out of Appalachian State was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the sixth round.
Since being signed from the Vikings practice squad in October, he’s been active in two NFL game.
He made his first career start last weekend, with Mike Iupati placed on injury reserve. But his first start was a really good one.
According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed only one sack and did well in the run blocking category with a 78.8 grade.
General Manager Steve Keim expressed his excitement of Colby Gossett to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Gossett certainly looks the part with an ideal NFL frame for an offensive guard, being 6-5 311lbs. He also performed well at the NFL Combine, running a 5.2 40 and benching 32 reps.
Whether or not Colby Gossett will be the long-term starter at the left guard position is still up-in-the-air at this point. It is way too early to assume anything about his future.
But he certainly has a lot of upside and potential. He is more agile than NFL scouts give him credit for and he has the strength that is need for his position.
If he flourishes and proves to be a quality starter in the offensive line, that would give the Arizona Cardinals one-less position to address.

figures

He was plucked from the PS mid-season.  That happens to about every team around the league, I'd think.  Good for him.  Bet he got a nice pay raise.

But we were overflowing with talent at guard...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Is Colby Gossett the long-term answer at left guard?The rookie offensive guard is coming off a solid performance in loss to the Detroit LionsBy Andy Kwong@akwong31  Dec 15, 2018, 8:01am MST
[Image: usa_today_11835612.0.jpg]Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY SportsThe Arizona Cardinals lost their original starting offensive line for the season, forcing rookie offensive linemen into the starting lineup. There has been a lot of talk about Korey Cunninghamand him being the potential long-term answer at right tackle.
But very few people are talking about Colby Gossett, currently the Cardinals starting left guard.
The 23-year-old rookie out of Appalachian State was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the sixth round.
Since being signed from the Vikings practice squad in October, he’s been active in two NFL game.
He made his first career start last weekend, with Mike Iupati placed on injury reserve. But his first start was a really good one.
According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed only one sack and did well in the run blocking category with a 78.8 grade.
General Manager Steve Keim expressed his excitement of Colby Gossett to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Gossett certainly looks the part with an ideal NFL frame for an offensive guard, being 6-5 311lbs. He also performed well at the NFL Combine, running a 5.2 40 and benching 32 reps.
Whether or not Colby Gossett will be the long-term starter at the left guard position is still up-in-the-air at this point. It is way too early to assume anything about his future.
But he certainly has a lot of upside and potential. He is more agile than NFL scouts give him credit for and he has the strength that is need for his position.
If he flourishes and proves to be a quality starter in the offensive line, that would give the Arizona Cardinals one-less position to address.
no wonder he didn’t fit in w/ our guards...  :/

Gossett was my favorite pick of our draft. His Senior Bowl practices were just spectacular. Frustrating part of this is that he was hurt almost all of training camp and so never really got an opportunity to show what he could do. No injury and I think he makes the 53 and we're not having this conversation. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Gossett was my favorite pick of our draft. His Senior Bowl practices were just spectacular. Frustrating part of this is that he was hurt almost all of training camp and so never really got an opportunity to show what he could do. No injury and I think he makes the 53 and we're not having this conversation. 
I was actually going to mention his TC. I agree with you that he would have made the 53

I just cannot trust this current group to make the right decision on line talent. With two all pro guards  I suppose they should get a pass....