Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Childress might be the OC for Stefanski in Cleveland...
Maybe it was leverage for Stefanski or a test run to get his name out there.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Stefanski has one of the least natural coaching careers i've ever read about. 

Let's take Freddie Kitchens, the new coach in Cleveland:

In 1999, he started out as a RB/TE coach at Glenville State.
2000: Graduate Assistant at LSU.
2001-2003: RB coach at North Texas.
2004-2005: TE/RB coach at Mississippi State.
2006: Cowboys TE coach.
7-12: Cardinals TE coach.
13-16: Cardinals QB coach.
17: Cardinals RB coach
18: Browns RB coach & associate head coach
18: mid season offensive coordinator 

That's a natural coaching progression. That sounds like someone who has the resume to back up "earning it."

Lets look at Stefanski:

2005: Operations Internship at Philly
2005: Assistant Director of Football Opperations at Penn University.
2006-2008: Assistant to the Head Coach at MN
2009-2013: Assistant Quarterbacks Coach at MN
2014-2015: TE coach at MN. 
2016: RB coach at MN.
2017-2018: QB coach at MN.
2018: mid season offensive coordinator at MN.

I understand the internal hype for Stefanski, I don't understand the national level stuff. It's easy to look at the two resumes and pick who looks more prepared. One has faced adversity on multiple teams at multiple positions and has taken some natural progressive job offers. The other started as an intern and has been constantly shuffled into a job that will work for him.

It's easy to buy into hype when other teams are supposedly interested. Now that they aren't, are we supposed to just keep buying into the league wide hype as meaning he is actually "good," or can we now flip this around and say it's concerning that he has been with ONE NFL team since 2006, no one wanted to hire him in 2018 and now we're going to make him our offensive coordinator?

... twitter is starting to report that Stefanski is indeed our "next" offensive coordinator.
While I agree that they hype for Stefanski seems odd, I don't think those two coaching progressions are that different.  Neither was a head coach anywhere, neither was a coordinator anywhere until a mid-season firing promoted them.  Both started their NFL career in 06, multiple offensive positions.
Now one is a HC with no experience and never being a coordinator for a full year.  The other gets to grow more naturally from full time OC to possible HC.

Stefanski had two odd ball jobs before becoming a coach here. And then... thats it.