Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stefanski news
Quote: @pumpf said:
@greediron said:
@FessVike said:
Or all the Media stuff about Mularkey was made up as a way to get hits on their stories
So you were saying it was just a bunch of Mularkey? 

or intentionally leaked to bolster his desirability.

Obviously if he took the job as TE coach already, he wasn't in the serious running for any of the OC jobs.
Actually, that's not true.  Coach Mularkey has a house in (near) Atlanta; and I can tell you that his family is VERY important to him.  He has never been the kind of guy who lusted after power or wealth.  He loved coaching.  After what he's been through, maybe he just wants to be able to coach near home and spend more time with his beautiful wife.

By the way, let me add this: a LONG time ago... while he was still just an assistant coach... he was offered the HC position for a team in the AFC North.  But the owner refused to let him hire his own staff.  So, rather than take the job- just to haver a job- he passed.  So, even though he didn't know if he'd ever get another chance to be a HC, he refused to go to a situation that he didn't think was right for him.  

And not that long ago, he had the chance to be an assistant coach for a team in the NFC East.  He was not coaching at the time and did want to get back into coaching.  But- again- there were things with that team that he didn't believe would be a good fit for him.  So he passed.

Not everyone is Bobby Petrino.
Interesting to learn that.  Sounds like a good man and would have been a good fit with our coaches. 

Sounds like Stefanski may stay in Minny. 

Kevin Stefanski, a finalist for the Browns' head-coaching job, is returning to Minnesota as the Vikings offensive coordinator, per source.
9:07 AM - 9 Jan 2019

Quote: @TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
Anyone else have this feeling that Minnesota takes another step back in 2019? 
I have no doubt. Not that they won't try to make one last run, but I think they have way too many holes to overcome in one offseason makeover. 
The offensive needs (OL, more playmakers) are big but have been here for several years, so IMO the biggest question is whether our defense is in full decline or 2018 (including last year's playoff games) was just a poor year. Griffen and Joseph disappointed and they will both be 31. Richardson and Barr both might leave. What does Tom Johnson have left? Does Stephen Weatherly's 3 sacks mean he is an emerging superstar or just a good backup/rotation lineman?
Weatherly, Jalyn Holmes, and Jaleel Johnson might be huge keys to keeping this defense strong. Offense is probably never going to be a strength, we just hope for competence. But we're done if defense struggles again in 2019.

A few sustained drives on offense will do wonders for the defense. Starting the game with four, three and outs, makes it tough on those guys.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Kevin Stefanski, a finalist for the Browns' head-coaching job, is returning to Minnesota as the Vikings offensive coordinator, per source.
So the jilted lover syndrome must be just a bunch of gossip.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@TBro said:
@StickyBun said:
Anyone else have this feeling that Minnesota takes another step back in 2019? 
I have no doubt. Not that they won't try to make one last run, but I think they have way too many holes to overcome in one offseason makeover. 
The offensive needs (OL, more playmakers) are big but have been here for several years, so IMO the biggest question is whether our defense is in full decline or 2018 (including last year's playoff games) was just a poor year. Griffen and Joseph disappointed and they will both be 31. Richardson and Barr both might leave. What does Tom Johnson have left? Does Stephen Weatherly's 3 sacks mean he is an emerging superstar or just a good backup/rotation lineman?
Weatherly, Jalyn Holmes, and Jaleel Johnson might be huge keys to keeping this defense strong. Offense is probably never going to be a strength, we just hope for competence. But we're done if defense struggles again in 2019.

full decline?
How did our defense rate this year?  Rule changes prevented the type of D that we were accustomed to.  So Zimmer adapted and we went with the keep it in front of you type, making offenses work methodically down the field.  Much like the great defense in Chicago did.  Our D held some pretty good offenses in check, Saints, Packers, NE, Seattle.  All of those were losses (except the Packers) because the offense turned the ball over, didn't score and in the case of Seattle was also hosed by the blocked FG penalty being waived off.
And last years playoffs, our D was playing excellent until Case crapped out his horseshoe and threw back breaking INTs that switched momentum and gave the opposition new life.  Recall that our D had held Brees in check until the INT on a stupid throw gave them a short field.  Then he found a rhythm and clawed back into the game.  A missed FG on our part also helped.  Then in Philly, their first drive was a 3 and out and we were up 7-0 when Case threw the Pick 6.  Then fumbled away another drive shortly after. 

So I don't see the "full decline".

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
I don't think anyone actually believed that. 

Good to hear about Stefanski, I'm a big fan of continuity. I also believe good players make good coaches. Upgrade that O-line and watch Stefanski flourish. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
I don't think anyone actually believed that. 
There have been plenty of posts saying exactly that or worse.