Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stefanski news
Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
It's also being reported that if Mularkey is the hire that he might bring Russ Grimm in as the O-Line coach, which if true would be big.
I saw that. Can you imagine? I would love a good break to come the Vikings way. Ah man, it's a frustrating roller coaster sifting through the speculation and the actual details. 

Grimm would be awesome, but why did he retire after doing so well in Tennessee? And not end up anywhere else? Curious.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Grimm would be awesome, but why did he retire after doing so well in Tennessee? And not end up anywhere else? Curious.
Coaching is such a fraternal brotherhood in the NFL.

I think a lot of times it's fit - personality fit and personal connections with staff/ownership. The "softer stuff" 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@PurpleCrush said:
It's also being reported that if Mularkey is the hire that he might bring Russ Grimm in as the O-Line coach, which if true would be big.
I saw that. Can you imagine? I would love a good break to come the Vikings way. Ah man, it's a frustrating roller coaster sifting through the speculation and the actual details. 
The waiting part of the offseason always sucks.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@Vikergirl said:
@PurpleCrush said:
The waiting part of the offseason always sucks.
But the offseason is always the most hopeful time. The Vikes usually make some exciting move which makes us dream of greatness...and then the season begins and it's back to reality.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@PurpleCrush said:
That would be a nice break. But an advocate for the devil might argue that many thought we were getting a break to get Flip and also keep Stef. Both so-called "bright young minds." Who knows if they are or not. They might go on to be the next great coaches in a better situation. That would not surprise me at all. 

I think the Vikings are trying to do what almost every NFL team does. The opposite of what was tried and failed before. If you draft a QB high and he sucks, you grab one next in free agency. If you get one in free agency and he sucks, it's time to draft one. Same with coaches I think. The "BYM" route was a bust and now the Vikings are hoping for tried and true. 

But, yeah, we could use a break. 

With Zimmer have 1-year remaining on his contract and having fired DeFilippo after less than a season, I don't see us being at the top of list for most OC candidates. There is definitely talent to work with & you'll have a good defense to compliment you, but the line is a difficult problem to solve. Given the circumstances, my preference would be to continue with Stefanski. Mularkey does have experience working with OL and his teams did alright in Tennessee, but I'm not sure about letting him run the offense. Why not a role like OL & Assistant Head Coach? I get Zimmer wanting to have a former HC on the staff to replace Sparano, I just don't think they need to be the OC.

I dunno...if I'm an OC looking for a big career move, I'd see the Vikings as a great opportunity to coach some great players (with interview emphasis being on OG improvement), with the possbilitiy of years added via more OC years and/or succeeding Zimmer if he fails to impress in this contract year.

That sounds pretty mercenary, but that's how I see it.

Mularky and Grimm would be a coup.  Adam Gase was my first choice but M &G are exactly what we need the way this team is constructed. A home run would be adding a great young mind to be passing game coordinator, short of that , Downing is a capable mind in the passing game 

People sometimes forget how great of a coach Shurmer was.  we miss him terribly

I almost think that the OL coach is going to be more important than the OC.  I don't think Zimmer being on a 1 year contract is too much of a deterrent.  If the offense does better and the team does well which it should, then everyone will get another contract, and I'm sure they can put some sort of options into the contract where they get paid more in year 1 or have an out if Zimmer gets fired.