Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I never want to hear Compton and Remmers's names again
How about if the name is followed by "released"?  Waived or released seems fitting for their style of play.

Quote: @Ponifan said:
Yeah, what is up with Isadora?  Is he really that bad?
Ever run chutes in football practice in high school? Ever see someone who couldn't?  That's Danny Isadora.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
.....even if you heard their names associated with "released"?????
I stand corrected.  I want to only hear their names exactly 1 more time.

Quote: @Ponifan said:
Yeah, what is up with Isadora?  Is he really that bad?
He was another day 3 lineman drafted by the folks who selected David Yankey, Jeff Baca, and Willie Beavers. What did you expect?

I will never understand why they moved Remmers (who was average at RT) to RG, where he flat-out sucked.  And then they replaced him with Hill, who was worse than Remmers at RT.  We saw that last year vs. New Orleans.  But rather than recognize their mistake, they doubled-down on it this year.  I have serious doubts about the coaching staff's ability to judge OL talent.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I will never understand why they moved Remmers (who was average at RT) to RG, where he flat-out sucked.  And then they replaced him with Hill, who was worse than Remmers at RT.  We saw that last year vs. New Orleans.  But rather than recognize their mistake, they doubled-down on it this year.  I have serious doubts about the coaching staff's ability to judge OL talent.
I totally agree with you. Their history of drafting and development has been bad during Spielman's tenure, but how do you explain the play of O'Neil who everyone thought was a total panic pick because they missed out on all of the talented OLineman in last year's draft? He seems like a determined young man, but coaching and development has to play into it at some point. Then, someone like Gosset, our 6th round pick, couldn't crack our 53 and gets plucked from our practice squad to start for the Cardinals this year. All indications are that he performed well in his games for the Cardinals and may be the long term starter at LG. How did we let him get away? Was he even allowed to compete for a starting role or did the Head Coach dismiss the rookie in favor of the veterans in Remmers and Compton? Who the fuck knows. It makes zero sense yet this is where we find ourselves. 
Lots of head scratching decisions by the coaching staff, scouts, and GM so you can't point the finger at just one person or thing that put us in this position.  

Quote: @TBro said:
@pumpf said:
I totally agree with you. Their history of drafting and development has been bad during Spielman's tenure, but how do you explain the play of O'Neil who everyone thought was a total panic pick because they missed out on all of the talented OLineman in last year's draft? He seems like a determined young man, but coaching and development has to play into it at some point. Then, someone like Gosset, our 6th round pick, couldn't crack our 53 and gets plucked from our practice squad to start for the Cardinals this year. All indications are that he performed well in his games for the Cardinals and may be the long term starter at LG. How did we let him get away? Was he even allowed to compete for a starting role or did the Head Coach dismiss the rookie in favor of the veterans in Remmers and Compton? Who the fuck knows. It makes zero sense yet this is where we find ourselves. 
Lots of head scratching decisions by the coaching staff, scouts, and GM so you can't point the finger at just one person or thing that put us in this position.  

[Image: 300h.jpg]

IMHO, drafting any position is 30% (or more) pure blind luck.  Game film, bowl game film, combines, pro-day workouts...can only tell so much.  Adding workout ethics and locker-room chemistry gets you closer.  But how some guy that gets drafted as a compensatory pick in the 6th round will probably retire as the best QB ever in the game while QB's with Heisman trophys, NCAA records and college national championships wash out in the NFL in 3 years or less is a mystery on par with UFO's and Bigfoot.
O'Neil could be the next Anthony Munoz or the next Bryant McKinnie.  I just know that a team with the recent history at O line, needs far more talent...drafted and FA...to review before we break camp this year.

Quote: @TBro said:
@pumpf said:

I think O'Neill was just a blind squirrel occasionally finding a nut. The Vikes have been almost as poor at evaluating and choosing WRs, but got a fine one in the 5th. Both Diggs and O'Neill were kind of mis-identified by coaches, too: Diggs was inactive a few games, only grudgingly put into the lineup after injuries, and O'Neill similarly saw the field only after injuries and coaches tried to bench him for Hill when Reiff returned.
Zero confidence left in the decisions of Vikings' GM and staff. But still hope they surprise me.

I like Remmers as a backup tackle if his contract can be
reduced to match the position downgrade. 
He’s a bad guard, but he’s a borderline starter at RT.  Would be perfect as the backup RT, who has
some capability to swing over to LT in an emergency.  Obviously he’s too expensive at his current
price to be a backup, but getting rid of him ends up being another hole to fill,
unless you want Hill there which is a downgrade.