Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Rodgers used to be very good, now he reminds me of ...
Jeff Garcia.  Now hold on, I realize AR has far more arm talent and far fewer turnovers than Garcia.  But in terms of watching his play style, he has literally become Jeff Garcia 2.0.  

Jeff Garcia loved to try and take deep shots, but when the deep shots weren't there, Garcia wouldn't go through his reads.  He didn't like to stay in the pocket.  Drove his coaches nuts.  Garcia would scramble around like a rabbit, waiting for a WR to uncover, and then either hit his WR on what's basically turned into a busted scramble play, or take off running.

I watch the "new" Aaron Rodgers and I see the same shit, just with fewer turnovers.  But he tends to blow up his own offense by always trying to hit the big shot and refusing to take his checkdowns on time, or buy time by running around waiting for his WR to break off the designed route and "ad lib" with him so he can squeeze in a big shot.  And when that's not there, he takes off running.  But I see a QB too cocky, too arrogant to get through his reads and stay in the pocket like the play is designed.  And Rodgers misses a TON of easy checkdowns, whether by decision or whether by his lack of accuracy on short passes to the flat.  

Favre would stay in the pocket, deliver the strikes on time - even if they were only 4-6 yards - and take the hits.  Rodgers just bails out of the pocket and passes up his 2nd and 3rd reads because he refuses to take a hit.  IMO his great pocket presence is also his greatest weakness.  I honestly see a QB too scared to stay in the pocket and would rather scramble than take a shot for a short gain.

Talent level aside, I can't imagine how tiresome it would be coaching A_Ron.  He acts like he's always the smartest guy in the room and at 34, I'm sure he feels he knows better than anyone with a clipboard.
Watching his sideline body language and behavior and his lack of interaction with his receiving corps tells me this is one arrogant dude.

he reminds  me of  jay cutler

I have been on this same train of thought for a while now. 

Rodgers loves his hero status too much.  He loves the big play, the drama and it being all about him.  And that is hard to build an offense around.
Several years ago he was going thru the same problem.  He wasn't playing within the offense and always looking for the big play.  To McCarthy's credit, he was able to harness Rodgers and get him to play within the system and they were very formidable.  The offense was hard to stop and if you did actually get pressure, Rodgers could scramble and break your back with a huge play. 

IMO he struggled playing within the offense in 2016.  He made huge plays in several games in a row (around the Detroit "facemask miracle" IIRC).  Then being hurt last year exposed McCarthy as a poor offensive coach when he didn't have Rodgers, so this year AR regressed into wanting to be the hero.  Playing gimpy and winning in Chicago probably was the worst thing for that team. 

I think his mechanics are off as well.  He answered that question in a press conference recently with his usual arrogant style of dismissing it and saying he is always working on his mechanics.  Missing the easy throws tells me he has similar issues to Cam Newton, his arm talent allows him to get by with poor mechanics, but it leads to missing the easy ones. 

If you could trade Kirk Cousins and our 2019 first rounder for Rodgers, would you do it?  Hate the guy, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Nope.

dont care one iota

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
If you could trade Kirk Cousins and our 2019 first rounder for Rodgers, would you do it?  Hate the guy, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.
no with his drama,  no with his ego,  and hell no with his contract.  at this point in his career he is to much of a headache for what you get in return especially when you factor in his 134 million dollar contract and his decreasing mobility.

Quote: @Viking1987 said:
My exact thought during the game Sunday.

It's like he's always pouting.............it's everybody's fault but his.

Quote: @SouthCarolinaViking said:
@Viking1987 said:
My exact thought during the game Sunday.

It's like he's always pouting.............it's everybody's fault but his.
my exact words I was thinking

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
Hell to the no.