Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Pressures Stat
A poster stating this stat isn't subjective led me to actually think about the stat and where it comes from.  I can not find an official definition of what is a QB pressure.  The closest thing I've found is an SEC article stating that each team decides what the stat is on their own (QB hurries) and views the game film and records their number https://www.tidesports.com/quarterback-hurry-definition-stats/ 

Now I've seen some articles crediting PFF that say the Vikings give up the most QB pressures.  Is that true? Can anyone verify that?  What number is on the OL and what number is on the QB?

NFL Matchup has a different view:

[Image: Ds72mZzXcAAHyga.jpg]

That would seem to make sense.  Young QBs and more of the "running" QBs are pressured more in the pocket (don't know the nuances of the pocket).  While older veteran QBs come up as the least pressured.  Wouldn't this be a better indicator of the OL (in the pocket and 3 seconds or fewer)?

So what the hell is a QB pressure?  And why do some use it as gospel?

I know it use to be these definitions:
QB HURRY, the QB is moved out of the pocket by passrusher(s).
QB PRESSURE,  the QB is rushed and is forced to throw because of said pressure and the pass falls incomplete.
QB HIT,  self explanatory
QB DISRUPTIONS, a combination of all actions. That is what I was to understand.

Quote: @96POPS said:
I know it use to be these definitions:
QB HURRY, the QB is moved out of the pocket by passrusher(s).
QB PRESSURE,  the QB is rushed and is forced to throw because of said pressure and the pass falls incomplete.
QB HIT,  self explanatory
QB DISRUPTIONS, a combination of all actions. That is what I was to understand.
Thanks.  I do think I have heard that before, but that can't be what PFF uses and maybe others.  I think PFF has Cousins at around 40% pressures.  That would mean his completion percentage couldn't be more than 60% and every single incomplete pass would have had to have been under pressure.  Plus, there couldn't be a passer rating under pressure because those are incomplete passes. 

Same with Football Outsiders.  Keenum was under pressure 39% last year.  His completion percentage was better than 61%.  They also calculate a DVOA under pressure, so it can't be just incomplete passes.

So, the definition has changed and it seems like no one knows what it is or if it's significant.

I just watched Zim say something to the effect "I'm not sure I know what pressure is according to whoever is deciding it.." when talking about Kirk.  He also said that there were a lot of clean pockets out there. 

Start around the 9:40 mark. 

https://www.vikings.com/video/zimmer-tal...-struggles 

That is actually how they determine defensive stats. As far as turning it around to the offensive stat, would probably mean that any of these would constitute "offensive pressures" as long as the QB has to move around in or out of the pocket.

lol. Fans are awesome, straight up. 

Quote: @96POPS said:
That is actually how they determine defensive stats. As far as turning it around to the offensive stat, would probably mean that any of these would constitute "offensive pressures" as long as the QB has to move around in or out of the pocket.
Yeah, it's probably some combination of things.  Maybe including sacks?  Still don't really know without a definition.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
lol. Fans are awesome, straight up. 

Because they use stat they can't even explain to trash 5+ members of the team they root for?  Yeah, they are.