Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thielen's production for Vikings has already earned him an extra $3.6 million
Thielen, who already triggered a $600,000 bonus by surpassing 80 catches for the season, can earn another $500,000 if he is selected to his second Pro Bowl next month.

Though Vikings receiver Adam Thielen — who leads the league with 93 receptions, ranks second with 1,138 receiving yards and is tied for fifth with eighth touchdowns — is playing on a contract that has him ranked 49th at his position, in terms of average annual value, he is in line to give himself another raise.Thielen, who already triggered a $600,000 bonus by surpassing 80 catches for the season, can earn another $500,000 if he is selected to his second Pro Bowl next month. He bumped his 2018 salary from $2.85 to $3.85 million by surpassing 90 catches last year, and has already boosted his 2019 salary from $3.85 to $5.85 million by triggering a pair of $1 million salary escalators for 90-catch seasons in 2017 and 2018, and could nudge his 2020 salary from $5.35 to $8.35 million if he adds another 90-catch season next year.
In total, Thielen has already added $3.6 million in incentives and escalators to the four-year, $19.246 million contract he signed before the 2017 season, with another $500,000 likely coming in the form of a Pro Bowl pick next month and another $4.1 million available to him in 2019 if he has another 90-catch Pro Bowl season.
It’s entirely possible, of course, that Thielen is playing his final season on his current deal, given how underpaid he is in relation to the rest of the receiver market. There’s nothing forcing the Vikings to redo the 28-year-old’s deal before it expires in 2020, but the team has made a habit of taking care of productive players who are also good citizens in the locker room and community, and Thielen — one of the team’s most popular players — certainly fits that bill. The Vikings have some big decisions to make, as Chip Scoggins outlined in his column today, but Thielen figures to put himself in that conversation. He’s already done plenty to sweeten the modest deal he signed as a restricted free agent last year.
http://www.startribune.com/adam-thielens...501380752/

The Detroit Lakes kid just keeps producing.  He was unreal again last Sunday night, and is proving to be a real "Packer" killer - just like any Minnesota kid dreams about growing up.

His story is only getting better, and he may secure his place in the Vikings ROH before he's done here.

SKOL!

seeing these escalators,  I dont think the team needs to rush to redo his deal,  yes in guarantees he is underpaid,  but with the bonuses he is making decent money and if he replicates this success even more, also if something happends to where he doesnt make his 90 catches,  the team can still do right by him and redo his deal at that point to give him more money prior to the 2020 season.  I dont know if AT is as much of a concern this offseason as I originally was thinking.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
seeing these escalators,  I dont think the team needs to rush to redo his deal,  yes in guarantees he is underpaid,  but with the bonuses he is making decent money and if he replicates this success even more, also if something happends to where he doesnt make his 90 catches,  the team can still do right by him and redo his deal at that point to give him more money prior to the 2020 season.  I dont know if AT is as much of a concern this offseason as I originally was thinking.

Agreed. Use the money first to improve the team first by signing guys who otherwise will not be here. Richardson? Easton? We need to improve the OL and probably replace Barr.  AT is underpaid but by hitting his incentives, it's not as drastic as it could be.  I hope we are talking like this about Holton Hill in a few years.  

I'm sure Mrs. Thielen shows her appreciation for all the extra shopping trips, lol.