Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going for the First
Zero doubt Z was pushed into it by Bailey's misses. He was pissed off and rightly so. This kicking thing is a fucking nightmare. Glad to see Zimmer get less conservative but Bailey's inadequacy is what pushed him there.

I don't know (or care) whether Zim is too aggressive or too conservative. Or whether this was the right call or not. But one of the things that does bug me about him is this mind game stuff. Whether it's with injured players or kickers, he seems to let his emotions get the best of him. If you want to know why we seem to always struggle with kickers, I'd say Zim is your leading candidate. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I don't know (or care) whether Zim is too aggressive or too conservative. Or whether this was the right call or not. But one of the things that does bug me about him is this mind game stuff. Whether it's with injured players or kickers, he seems to let his emotions get the best of him. If you want to know why we seem to always struggle with kickers, I'd say Zim is your leading candidate. 
I would say its either him or Preifer...either way the mind games arent going to help and we will need Bailey to be at his best the next 2 weeks to have a legit shot at winning those games and possibly catching the bears.

Anyone still pining for Pat Shurmur still? Horribly called game in the 2nd half and blew a 19-3 lead. Gave the ball to Barkley only 5 times in the second half.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:
It was actually a smart play, IMO.  If they convert, the game is over.  The Vikings could run even more time off the clock and potentially score a TD to go up 17 points (3 scores instead of two).  Or kick a FG a couple plays later and have about a minute left for the Packers to try to make a come back.  Extremely unlikely. 
However, if you kick the FG, you're still only up 2 scores (13 pts vs 10 pts), but you give the Packers an opportunity for a long return on the ensuing kickoff with a couple minutes to go. 
I'd rather take my chances to win the game right there because the "downside" is that you pin them inside their own 10 yd line and they still have to go 90+ yds for a TD and would still need to recover an onside kick and get a game tying FG.
I like the call.  People have complained that Zimmer is too conservative, but this was actually a good decision if you're into analytics and showed some killer instinct. 
So you don't think going for it had anything to do with Bailey's earlier misses?  I just think being up by 13 at that stage of the game would've essentially put the game away. 
oh it was a shot at the kicking unit,  Zim said so himself at half apparently,  told the sideline chick that he was done with field goals or some such shit IIRC.
Yeah he did call his shot there. I heard her. Then when the time came he followed through. I was a bit surprised still.
I still have more of a problem with running :30 off the clock before half in case they couldn't complete the 3rd down. It was agreed with by some just not me. I understand the thinking. I thought it was wrong. Kirk was lighting them up. Nearly 200 by half. Rodgers was half that. You trust your QB to do what he's been doing all day or the defense to keep on stopping him. I felt it was a bit disrespectful to both units being how they were doing. Hindsight we could have used them :30. Kirk did his thing.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:
It was actually a smart play, IMO.  If they convert, the game is over.  The Vikings could run even more time off the clock and potentially score a TD to go up 17 points (3 scores instead of two).  Or kick a FG a couple plays later and have about a minute left for the Packers to try to make a come back.  Extremely unlikely. 
However, if you kick the FG, you're still only up 2 scores (13 pts vs 10 pts), but you give the Packers an opportunity for a long return on the ensuing kickoff with a couple minutes to go. 
I'd rather take my chances to win the game right there because the "downside" is that you pin them inside their own 10 yd line and they still have to go 90+ yds for a TD and would still need to recover an onside kick and get a game tying FG.
I like the call.  People have complained that Zimmer is too conservative, but this was actually a good decision if you're into analytics and showed some killer instinct. 
So you don't think going for it had anything to do with Bailey's earlier misses?  I just think being up by 13 at that stage of the game would've essentially put the game away. 
oh it was a shot at the kicking unit,  Zim said so himself at half apparently,  told the sideline chick that he was done with field goals or some such shit IIRC.
Yeah he did call his shot there. I heard her. Then when the time came he followed through. I was a bit surprised still.
I still have more of a problem with running :30 off the clock before half in case they couldn't complete the 3rd down. It was agreed with by some just not me. I understand the thinking. I thought it was wrong. Kirk was lighting them up. Nearly 200 by half. Rodgers was half that. You trust your QB to do what he's been doing all day or the defense to keep on stopping him. I felt it was a bit disrespectful to both units being how they were doing. Hindsight we could have used them :30. Kirk did his thing.
backed up a bit and wasnt it before the 3rd down play that they decided to run some clock?  I kind of agree with that choice,  they still had time outs if they converted, but didnt want to leave ar much to work with if they didnt  IIRC.

@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:
backed up a bit and wasnt it before the 3rd down play that they decided to run some clock?  I kind of agree with that choice,  they still had time outs if they converted, but didnt want to leave ar much to work with if they didnt  IIRC.
Yes I said 3rd down. I understood the reason just didn't like it. He played it too safe at home. Away would be different. McCarthy wouldn't have home or away with Rodgers. Cousins was having a very Rodgers like day.

@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:
Yes I said 3rd down. I understood the reason just didn't like it. He played it too safe at home. Away would be different. McCarthy wouldn't have home or away with Rodgers. Cousins was having a very Rodgers like day.
and mccarthy will likely be looking for a job in a couple months,  Cousins has a couple throws last night that didnt instill a lot of confidence so I guess I am good with it.  If we were losing or felt like we were in a shoot out maybe,  but the game had settled down a bit by then.  

@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:
and mccarthy will likely be looking for a job in a couple months,  Cousins has a couple throws last night that didnt instill a lot of confidence so I guess I am good with it.  If we were losing or felt like we were in a shoot out maybe,  but the game had settled down a bit by then.  
Not that it matters if McFatty gets fired or not. I'm actually hoping not. He is losing his team or his QB...never mind that is his team.
Just I'm hearing alot of. He showed alot of guts, put them away there..ect. Thread is, was going for it a shot at the kicker. I agreed the kicker let us down already. Kirk was killing them. I think it was too damn conservative and we ended up with nothing. When with those extra :30 we might have done something. I guess I'm just playing devil. Lets not go overboard with praising his nerve. He's still kinda the same.

@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
@Wetlander said:
Not that it matters if McFatty gets fired or not. I'm actually hoping not. He is losing his team or his QB...never mind that is his team.
Just I'm hearing alot of. He showed alot of guts, put them away there..ect. Thread is, was going for it a shot at the kicker. I agreed the kicker let us down already. Kirk was killing them. I think it was too damn conservative and we ended up with nothing. When with those extra :30 we might have done something. I guess I'm just playing devil. Lets not go overboard with praising his nerve. He's still kinda the same.
I am hoping he gets fired and does a tell all book on rogers and how big of a bitch he really is so the national medias love affair with the puke stain will have to account for that.