Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priefer is out
Priefer is NOT returning as ST coach next year

woah.  Does he have an offer elsewhere?

I thought someone posted they were renewing his contract.  Better offer?  Kluwe hired as his replacement? Wink  

Quote: @greediron said:
woah.  Does he have an offer elsewhere?
no more information given... .just mark craig and ben gossling saying he wont be back.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2019-01-11-breaking-news-mike-priefer-will-not-return-as-vikings-special-teams-coach/?sc=editorial&pname=local_social&keyid=KFXN&fbclid=IwAR0fZr_5GHSVUUVp4gw0PU_jImGGJANhWe4n5D1Ec5pV9w_ooA3WKidxgaU

It was rumored, thought and even suggested for most of the season but now it's official. The Minnesota Vikings will be moving on in 2019 without Mike Priefer as special teams coordinator.

Priefer joined the Minnesota Vikings back in 2011 and has stuck with the team as Special Teams coordinator since then. 
2018 seemed to be the breaking point for the Vikings as they spent a mid-round draft pick on Daniel Carlson only to cut ties with the rookie kicker two years into his career. He also drafted and oversaw the time with Blair Walsh with the Vikings.

Quote: @Cricket said:
https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2019-01-11-breaking-news-mike-priefer-will-not-return-as-vikings-special-teams-coach/?sc=editorial&pname=local_social&keyid=KFXN&fbclid=IwAR0fZr_5GHSVUUVp4gw0PU_jImGGJANhWe4n5D1Ec5pV9w_ooA3WKidxgaU

It was rumored, thought and even suggested for most of the season but now it's official. The Minnesota Vikings will be moving on in 2019 without Mike Priefer as special teams coordinator.

Priefer joined the Minnesota Vikings back in 2011 and has stuck with the team as Special Teams coordinator since then. 
2018 seemed to be the breaking point for the Vikings as they spent a mid-round draft pick on Daniel Carlson only to cut ties with the rookie kicker two years into his career. He also drafted and oversaw the time with Blair Walsh with the Vikings.

I must have rip van winkled a couple years....

Mike Priefer and his coaching career with the Minnesota Vikings appears to be over after his contract expired earlier this week the the team he has called home since the 2011 season. According to Mark Craig from the Minneapolis Star Tribune, head coach Mike Zimmer informed him that the special teams coordinator job with the team is now open with Priefer not returning to the organization in 2019.
Reports from last week had suggested that the Vikings and Priefer were working on a new contract that kept him in Minnesota for the forseeable future, but it appears the two sides were unable to come to an agreement and that he will now seek another opportunity.

I feel "who's responsible" posturing coming on...

"2018 seemed to be the breaking point"
"Vikings and Priefer were working on a new contract that kept him in MN for the forseeable future" 
"appears the two sides were unable to come to an agreement and that he will now seek another oppertunity"

Something just seems odd about it and i'm not exactly sure. I mean personally i'm kinda excited to move forward with the kicking unit hopefully. Maybe the Vikes leaked their desire to resign him a week ago as nothing more than a service to Priefer, knowing full well they wanted to move on. By announcing a desire to lock him up long term perhaps other teams use our interest as a reason to bring him in... again not really sure but something sure feels strange in the way that this both reads like a failure on the staff and what we wanted to do 'because of bad negotiations.'

If we wanted to move on from the get go, I guess I can imagine this kind of "respect game" with the media. Moving on without lambasting or putting a spot light on his recent FG-unit issues... by feigning interest a little Kevin Stefanski situation is created, where other teams aren't interested in your shortcomings as much as they are interested in hyping up your positives. "Vikings want him long term but couldn't agree to terms" probably accomplishes that.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
I thought someone posted they were renewing his contract.  Better offer?  Kluwe hired as his replacement? Wink  
Maybe Rick and Zim were ok with renewing his contract.

Possibly the Wilfs said if it's up it's up. No new contracts.

Might be a hint to Rick and Zim.

Priefer is signing with the Browns as their special team coordinator. Vikings offered him a contract, he turned them down. Had interest from Lions and Falcons, too. Might have had enough of Z.

Interesting.