Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Y'all in on decriminalizing weed? Or not?
First recreational cannabis stores opening on the east coast now. Is the midwest next?

Here in MN we just elected a governor who's publicly on record for decriminalizing cannabis usage.

IMO, it should be decriminalized. Canada just made it so a month or so ago and now Massachusetts. There are still a lot of people over 75 that are scared shitless of weed because of how it was portrayed and the ridiculous propaganda against it back in the 50s and 60s. You'd be surprised how many of your friends might partake from time to time but never tell you. 

Yeah man. I think we should like totally...wait what were we talking about??

Seriously though. Yes it's long overdue. As someone who neither drinks or puffs but did both in my younger days. I would definitely pick up weed long before booze.  I have terrible stress related insomnia some nights. Drinking myself to sleep is not going to make my morning better.  I even get lag from taking PM Tylenol. 

I would allow use for medicinal purposes under a doctors direction but not for recreational use.  Many are successful with recreational use but others end at the bottom of the slippery slope after graduating to other drugs.  Gotta remember the ones that crash and burn too...  I live in Idaho so the weed supporters can put down there pitchforks and recognize that I don't vote in your states and will have no influence.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
I would allow use for medicinal purposes under a doctors direction but not for recreational use.  Many are successful with recreational use but others end at the bottom of the slippery slope after graduating to other drugs.  Gotta remember the ones that crash and burn too...  I live in Idaho so the weed supporters can put down there pitchforks and recognize that I don't vote in your states and will have no influence.
I have always had a problem with the. Some can't handle it so ban it for everyone approach. If that were truly the way of things alcohol and gambling should also be illegal or somehow need supervision by someone with a medical degree. 

Here in WeedOpolis, aka California, in general so far so good. The biggest issue seems to be how much each city / county will tax the herb. I think Berkeley just lowered their taxes (I know - I was shocked) - to keep sales up. Some cities are opting out as far as letting stores open up to sell it. Worried about crime etc. going up if they let it be sold. Plus there all these issues with testing the weed product for all sorts of things - strength of the cannibis, toxins in the weed left over from bug sprays etc. - basically like any food or vegetable, weed has to be safe and also let people know how strong the high will be -think Alcohol Content. Large batches have been rejected and destroyed for those who are trying to follow the States rules for all sorts of various issues

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@IDVikingfan said:
I have always had a problem with the. Some can't handle it so ban it for everyone approach. If that were truly the way of things alcohol and gambling should also be illegal or somehow need supervision by someone with a medical degree. 
Doctors discretion does not work.  Medical was made legal in ND a couple years ago and is just now starting to get rules and regulations in place.  One of the issues is that the hospitals and clinics are allowed to decide if they will participate or not.  One hospital in town said no our doctors will not be allowed to prescribe marijuana.  The other local hospital left it up to doctors discretion.  The problem is the doctors that are willing to participate have to register so patients know what doctors to see.  So far not a single doctor has registered.  So as a result, regardless if it is legal or not as it looks patients will not be able to get it anyway because of the way the legislature re-wrote the law.  As for recreational marijuana causing the people at the bottom end graduating to other drugs, that to me is a totally bogus argument. The people who have addiction problems are going to get their drugs regardless if its legal or not.  Legalizing weed is not going to make it easier to get meth, coke, heroin etc.  Ive always hated that argument because all of the statistics behind the "Marijuana is the starter drug to the hard drugs" comes from the research and study of ............ drug addicts.  I really doubt if any of the thousands of responsible people that smoke weed have EVER been included in a study.   

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
@suncoastvike said:
@IDVikingfan said:
Doctors discretion does not work.  Medical was made legal in ND a couple years ago and is just now starting to get rules and regulations in place.  One of the issues is that the hospitals and clinics are allowed to decide if they will participate or not.  One hospital in town said no our doctors will not be allowed to prescribe marijuana.  The other local hospital left it up to doctors discretion.  The problem is the doctors that are willing to participate have to register so patients know what doctors to see.  So far not a single doctor has registered.  So as a result, regardless if it is legal or not as it looks patients will not be able to get it anyway because of the way the legislature re-wrote the law.  As for recreational marijuana causing the people at the bottom end graduating to other drugs, that to me is a totally bogus argument. The people who have addiction problems are going to get their drugs regardless if its legal or not.  Legalizing weed is not going to make it easier to get meth, coke, heroin etc.  Ive always hated that argument because all of the statistics behind the "Marijuana is the starter drug to the hard drugs" comes from the research and study of ............ drug addicts.  I really doubt if any of the thousands of responsible people that smoke weed have EVER been included in a study.   
Yeah if we make Doctors dispense it only there will never be an abuse problem right.  The biggest drug epidemic we have right now is with doctor prescribed pills. The local liquor store owner can check an ID. That's more examination then some so called pill doctors have done. Please no disrespect to the good doctors intended.
It Is really insane that pot is even a schedule 1 drug. In there with LSD, Heroin, and cocaine. I lived long enough to know there really is a big difference. Regardless of what any study says for or against. Those folks I know who have been smoking the occasional joint for 30+ years are still alive. Those other schedule 1'ers are not if they didn't stop.  That's enough of a  study with my own life experiences.

Absolutely. I keep thinking about all the medicinal benefits that are available with it. As far as recreational is concerned, I really don't see the issue. There is a higher rate of dependency with alcohol abuse but the treatment centers are big business. Same goes for the opioid epidemic, it's such hypocrisy to say that pharmaceuticals are safe and marijuana is dangerous. Also sentencing for marijuana possession is ridiculous. I think Minnesota is going to legalize it. My cousin is a long sufferer of PTSD from his time in Iraq. He got off the pharmaceuticals and uses cannabis. The difference is incredible. The video of the little girl named Charlotte who was suffering from chronic and debilitating seizures and was given cannabis sativa and it had a significant positive impact. The tide is turning and it's way overdue.