Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming to terms with Arena Ball
Quote: @StickyBun said:
p.s. I didn't watch a second of the game last night. When the Vikings are mediocre or worse, my taste for the rest of the NFL is bitter.
That's me to a "t"

Vikings are mediocre or suck? I don't watch much. 

Smells like .500 to me - so disappointing too. 

First we got fake news.
Now, we've got fake football.
'Merica.

I haven't watched much other football. I have been focusing more and more on college football. Last night I watched some mainly because I was curious about the narrative. There is more and more narrative to games now. I did appreciate how they honored the first responders and hearing about the impact to people's homes. Some people think wildfires and think trees burning but it's so much more. 

Quote: @prairieghost said:
First we got fake news.
'Merica.

This is truer than most believe.  Remember the McGwire v. Sosa homerun shoot-out was MLB's contrived way of taking America's mind off the baseball strike years and subsequent declining viewership (steroids be damned...full speed ahead!).
What you see this year with the defensive rule changes and coddling of quarterbacks is the NFL's way of taking America's-3rd grader-short-attention-span off of the NFL kneelers & resulting declining attendance and the looming concussion scandal. 
It's contrived Kabuki theater, folks.  To read that foppish article on ESPN calling last nights game an "instant classic" is like calling an NBA all-star game a nail biter.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
First we got fake news.
'Merica.
Fake, fantasy it's all the same. 
The NFL has so sold itself to fantasy they forgot the football. You know the one. Where trying to stop the team from scoring was half the game. Think it's less then a 1/4 now. 

This message was brought to you by Grumpy old men of America.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@prairieghost said:
First we got fake news.
'Merica.
Fake, fantasy it's all the same. 
The NFL has so sold itself to fantasy they forgot the football. You know the one. Where trying to stop the team from scoring was half the game. Think it's less then a 1/4 now. 

This message was brought to you by Grumpy old men of America.
Don't forget grumpy old women too!!!!

This is the media hyperbole I'm talking about, so over the top:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/20/chiefs...fenses-mnf

Quote: @StickyBun said:

Want to solve the energy crisis?  Hook up turbines to the coffins of Lombardi or Halas, 'cause 'dem boys are spinning in their graves!

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@StickyBun said:

Want to solve the energy crisis?  Hook up turbines to the coffins of Lombardi or Halas, 'cause 'dem boys are spinning in their graves!
When we beat them Sunday night they'll be burning the stock to keep warm.

Just reported: biggest MNF ratings in 4 years for this game.