Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming to terms with Arena Ball
Well this is the way it is now. At least this game there was some defensive scoring as well. Both defenses gave up some big gains but the offenses score quick.

It's amazing to see how these OL's operate. The protection and timing work so well. The execution is like a finely tuned machine. And that makes the rest of the weapons work effectively. I want that. 

I'd like it if defense was still a thing that mattered in the NFL.  Crazy track meets get old after a while and a lot of games are boring blowouts now.   Having some balance between O/D makes it competitive and more interesting to me.  But I get that the NFL just wants t.v. ratings and catering to fantasy football players makes that happen so yeah, it's arena football most of the time now.   To me it's just not that interesting watching guys run up and down all night banging touchdowns.   Some struggle and challenge is more interesting and makes the scores matter a lot more when one happens.  Guess I'm a dinosaur.

I'm so tired of listening to Zimmer and DeFilippo mention at every press conference how they tried to establish the run as the key component of their game plan. Like you mentioned, there were some great defensive plays in this game and they still managed to set the record for most points in MNF history, and third most all time in the NFL. There is zero chance you are going to win against these high octane teams trying to run the ball, especially with this line. Unbelievable game. 

I didn't watch the whole game because I get bored with score after score. There were a lot of lame penalties too. But I am glad the defenses made plays too. The run game is important but the role is changing. It's time to focus on offense first. There has been plenty of money spent on defense. We need an OL. 

I did not watch the game. Some will say there was no D. 
How many of the 105 points were off turn overs? 
Rams scored 14 points with 2 pick 6's. Just 1 offensive play after another INT resulted in 21 of their 54 points 
Did they score off of the 2 DFR's?
Chiefs scored 7 points with a pick 6 
Did they score off of their 2 DFR's
If they did 49 of the 105 points might have been because of short fields and DTD's. 
Hey at least neither team gave up after getting punch in the mouth, like a team we all know.

And the media just blows their load over these types of games: last night was an 'instant classic'. But regardless, this will attract new viewers, especially the coveted 18-34 year old demographic. 

The NFL times, they are a changin'.....much to the chagrin of old diehards like ourselves.

p.s. I didn't watch a second of the game last night. When the Vikings are mediocre or worse, my taste for the rest of the NFL is bitter.

Welcome to the NBA of football.  Sorry...I didn't watch a second of the game 'cause I predicted this scoring weeks ago.  Two mediocre defenses and score at will offenses.  Last team with a possession wins.  Nope.  Can't embrace this.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
And the media just blows their load over these types of games: last night was an 'instant classic'. But regardless, this will attract new viewers, especially the coveted 18-34 year old demographic. 

The NFL times, they are a changin'.....much to the chagrin of old diehards like ourselves.
My son says it's even getting old watching the nba because of the lack of defense.  I think this style of game is even wearing thin on the younger generation as well.  The league will find out that the fans didnt want the wide open scoring as much as they wanted something different,  but this type of interest will wane and they will have to try and put the struggle back into the game.

While I don't paticularly care for soccer,  i have to recognize it's global popularity and it's low scoring rates hold a larger fan base than the nfl,  but yet the nfl wants to lure that fan base with wide open scoring fests?  

A score should he something to celebrate,  not something you come to expect 6 times before the half.

The commentators were salivating about the scoring and I kept hearing them say welcome to the new NFL. I had my phone in my hand and was doing work on my laptop during the game. It wasn't riveting to me, it was a lopsided product. I was watching with my son and even he was like meh. He kept commenting about the defenses. It was clearly orchestrated by penalties and the narrative for the outcome they wanted.