Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flip vs Pat, By The Numbers
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I have to say our schedule is considerably tougher this year which may have soemthing to do with it as well to this point.
2017 - non division foes.  Saints, Steelers, Bucs, Ravens, Browns, Redskins, Rams, Falcons, Panthers and Bengals.
2018 - non division foes.  Niners, Bills, Rams, Eagles, Cards, Jets, Saints, Patriots, Seahawks, and Dolphins. 

2017 the Vikings beat teams with winning record.  They also beat teams that ended up in the playoffs.  They beat what was considered the best NFC team at the time(Rams) handily.  Smacked them around actually. 

2018 -  Vikings have not beat a team with a winning record.  Lost to what could be considered the worst team in the NFL this year(if it weren't for the raiders), the bills are the only team in the NFL to not hit triple digit total scoring yet.  They have 96pts in 9 games.  27 of them came against the Vikings.   So 69 points in 8 other games.  That's what... around 8.5 points per game?  In this Offense slanted league?  That's laughable. 

I don't think our schedule is that much more difficult... because in 2017 five out of our 10 non division foes ended up in the playoffs and the Vikings went 3-2 against them.  Obviously the playoffs haven't started yet in 2018 but the Rams and Saints should make it in.  0-2 vs them in 2018.  Eagles might make it, niners, bills, cards and jets are going to have to "get hot" to sneak in, doubt that happens.  That leaves Pats, Seahawks and Dolphins.  Hags and Phins have similar records to us.  Pats should make it in.  The Vikings will have to beat these three "playoff" teams to equal their 3-2 of 2017.  Unless the eagles make it.   
But basically the comparison is unfair due to the it's 16 games(Pat) vs 9(Flip). 
this years Ram and aints are significantly better than last years teams.    you cant just look at the teams,  you have to look at the makeup of the team and how they are playing as well.  Not to mention our D hasnt played as well this year as they were playing early last year and that changes how an offense approaches a game plan as well.  throw out the anomolies and shit and just looking at the teams,  I like this years offense quite a bit better than last years offering.  stats be damned I am more confident this year when the O has the ball than I was at any point last year,  even with intermittant the shitty line play to date.
And that could be from playing teams with losing records this year.  Easier to move the ball vs teams that cannot stop you.  With our clock management, turnovers and play calling this year,,, I am not.  Get the turnovers under control and show me an understanding of how to manage a game clock and I'd feel better.  Are far as play calling.  We still rely too much on YAC to get first downs, throwing short of sticks or goal line.  Those short plays will not keep producing vs a quality D.  The Vikings are trailing last years Vikings in pass plays over 20yds and 40yds.  The league has changed to reward teams that take shots down the field and we are not.  If you want to put that on the Oline... the difference in time to throw from this year to last.... is 0.12 seconds.  2.66seconds in 2018 and 2.78sec in 2017, the 0.12 second difference is less than the time it takes to blink... hardly a discernible difference. 

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I have to say our schedule is considerably tougher this year which may have soemthing to do with it as well to this point.
2017 - non division foes.  Saints, Steelers, Bucs, Ravens, Browns, Redskins, Rams, Falcons, Panthers and Bengals.
2018 - non division foes.  Niners, Bills, Rams, Eagles, Cards, Jets, Saints, Patriots, Seahawks, and Dolphins. 

2017 the Vikings beat teams with winning record.  They also beat teams that ended up in the playoffs.  They beat what was considered the best NFC team at the time(Rams) handily.  Smacked them around actually. 

2018 -  Vikings have not beat a team with a winning record.  Lost to what could be considered the worst team in the NFL this year(if it weren't for the raiders), the bills are the only team in the NFL to not hit triple digit total scoring yet.  They have 96pts in 9 games.  27 of them came against the Vikings.   So 69 points in 8 other games.  That's what... around 8.5 points per game?  In this Offense slanted league?  That's laughable. 

I don't think our schedule is that much more difficult... because in 2017 five out of our 10 non division foes ended up in the playoffs and the Vikings went 3-2 against them.  Obviously the playoffs haven't started yet in 2018 but the Rams and Saints should make it in.  0-2 vs them in 2018.  Eagles might make it, niners, bills, cards and jets are going to have to "get hot" to sneak in, doubt that happens.  That leaves Pats, Seahawks and Dolphins.  Hags and Phins have similar records to us.  Pats should make it in.  The Vikings will have to beat these three "playoff" teams to equal their 3-2 of 2017.  Unless the eagles make it.   
But basically the comparison is unfair due to the it's 16 games(Pat) vs 9(Flip). 
this years Ram and aints are significantly better than last years teams.    you cant just look at the teams,  you have to look at the makeup of the team and how they are playing as well.  Not to mention our D hasnt played as well this year as they were playing early last year and that changes how an offense approaches a game plan as well.  throw out the anomolies and shit and just looking at the teams,  I like this years offense quite a bit better than last years offering.  stats be damned I am more confident this year when the O has the ball than I was at any point last year,  even with intermittant the shitty line play to date.
And that could be from playing teams with losing records this year.  Easier to move the ball vs teams that cannot stop you.  With our clock management, turnovers and play calling this year,,, I am not.  Get the turnovers under control and show me an understanding of how to manage a game clock and I'd feel better.  Are far as play calling.  We still rely too much on YAC to get first downs, throwing short of sticks or goal line.  Those short plays will not keep producing vs a quality D.  The Vikings are trailing last years Vikings in pass plays over 20yds and 40yds.  The league has changed to reward teams that take shots down the field and we are not.  If you want to put that on the Oline... the difference in time to throw from this year to last.... is 0.12 seconds.  2.66seconds in 2018 and 2.78sec in 2017, the 0.12 second difference is less than the time it takes to blink... hardly a discernible difference. 
i am going by watching the games,  we are playing better teams this year and doing as good or better offensively with a weak or less consistent OL,  its pretty much impossible for stats to paint a true picture from one game to the next let alone one year to the next,  you really just have to go off what your eyes tell you.  if you think its worse thats fine,  I think the O is better this year despite playing better teams and having more OL issues.

Quote: @Max said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

On this one point, I am going to point out that the differences between the Rams game last year and this year are these:

1. The Vikings were four days removed from a rough day (at this point, we still had no idea what was up with Griffen not playing)
2. It was a Thursday night game (road teams are at a significant disadvantage)
3. It was on the road
4. The Vikings scored 31 points on the Rams this year, and 24 against them last year.

The offense was not the reason the Vikings didn't beat the Rams. In fact, they were driving to tie the game late until the turnover.

So, even in a worse situation (on the road on a short week), the Vikings scored more this year than they did last.
As pointed out about our own D... the Rams D this year is not playing like the Rams D last year.  They are giving up more yard and points per game and making their Offense win shootouts.   But I do agree that we played well vs the Rams and should attack every game like we did vs them and the last two minutes of the Packer tie.  Cousins is here to win games... not manage them.  Use him as a weapon.  Make the Defense stop him.  It seems like in "normal" games when we have a huge gain we come back with a run more often than not.  And when we get a lead it's run run pass.  Just keep attacking.  

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@Max said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

On this one point, I am going to point out that the differences between the Rams game last year and this year are these:

1. The Vikings were four days removed from a rough day (at this point, we still had no idea what was up with Griffen not playing)
3. It was on the road
4. The Vikings scored 31 points on the Rams this year, and 24 against them last year.

The offense was not the reason the Vikings didn't beat the Rams. In fact, they were driving to tie the game late until the turnover.

So, even in a worse situation (on the road on a short week), the Vikings scored more this year than they did last.
As pointed out about our own D... the Rams D this year is not playing like the Rams D last year.  They are giving up more yard and points per game and making their Offense win shootouts.   But I do agree that we played well vs the Rams and should attack every game like we did vs them and the last two minutes of the Packer tie.  Cousins is here to win games... not manage them.  Use him as a weapon.  Make the Defense stop him.  It seems like in "normal" games when we have a huge gain we come back with a run more often than not.  And when we get a lead it's run run pass.  Just keep attacking.  
i think their defense is possibly better this year,  but they too are playing a tougher schedule this year.   they lost some pieces but added some as well.  they seem a lot more stout up front with Suh next to Donald.   I am more concerned about the rams this year than I was last year.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@Max said:
@Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

3. It was on the road

i think their defense is possibly better this year,  but they too are playing a tougher schedule this year.   they lost some pieces but added some as well.  they seem a lot more stout up front with Suh next to Donald.   I am more concerned about the rams this year than I was last year.
I was going to mention the schedule. At the beginning of the year Flip seemed to be having a tough time with calling the right plays in certain situations. I am happy that he seems to have turned the play calling around since the beginning of the year.

with the exception of green, most apples are red and oranges are, well orange

Pat was a great OC. It's why he's now a head coach. Flip is a 1st year OC who's never called plays before. It's not going to be a worthwhile comparison until you can look at the numbers at the end of year. This team is just now (hopefully) getting healthy. It's a totally different team offense with Diggs, Cook, Reiff, Elflein, etc. 

Did he call plays when he was OC for Cleveland? He was OC for Cleveland for one year I believe.

Quote: @FessVike said:
Did he call plays when he was OC for Cleveland? He was OC for Cleveland for one year I believe.
Yes he did.