Flip-13th

3rd
Pat-3rd
Flip-19TH

Pat-2nd
Flip-18TH

Hmmmm...

pretty sure Flip if is not going to be a hot head coaching candidate

Its not that simple a comparison, at all. Minnesota's offensive line has been bottom of the barrel or damn close all year long. Cook has been injured forever. I mean, there's a lot of love for Murray here but he's a limited guy. Last year McKinnon was the man.

If you look at the guys that break down video every week in several areas, they've got real love for Flip. He's a top 10 coordinator. 

Pat had a few years as an OC and even a HC. Flip is getting his 1st shot. Pat had over 1/2 a year as interim before last year. Flip has had 9 games. I did like Pat's offense better last year. What he was able to get out of Case was amazing. Last years defense did a much better job of making the offenses job easier. I hope Flip will be here next year. I'm not sure he's ready for the HC position. Or maybe I just don't want him to be. I think he's growing nicely into the OC role here. I'm selfish I want to keep him.

I have to say our schedule is considerably tougher this year which may have soemthing to do with it as well to this point.

I think the main difference is that last year we could run the ball effectively and our OLine was mostly stable up through this point.  I think this year is closer to what 2016 Shurmur had to deal with, but with a better QB.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Its not that simple a comparison, at all. Minnesota's offensive line has been bottom of the barrel or damn close all year long. Cook has been injured forever. I mean, there's a lot of love for Murray here but he's a limited guy. Last year McKinnon was the man.

If you look at the guys that break down video every week in several areas, they've got real love for Flip. He's a top 10 coordinator. 
You make some good points, but saying our O-Line is bad compared to theirs isn't one of them.  Haven't looked up the stats, but I think their o-line really sucks.  They haven't spent many draft picks on it, and when they have it has been Flowers.  One son is a giants fan and he constantly bemoans their o-line.  So maybe I am just biased, but I think theirs may suck worse than ours.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I have to say our schedule is considerably tougher this year which may have soemthing to do with it as well to this point.
2017 - non division foes.  Saints, Steelers, Bucs, Ravens, Browns, Redskins, Rams, Falcons, Panthers and Bengals.
2018 - non division foes.  Niners, Bills, Rams, Eagles, Cards, Jets, Saints, Patriots, Seahawks, and Dolphins. 

2017 the Vikings beat teams with winning record.  They also beat teams that ended up in the playoffs.  They beat what was considered the best NFC team at the time(Rams) handily.  Smacked them around actually. 

2018 -  Vikings have not beat a team with a winning record.  Lost to what could be considered the worst team in the NFL this year(if it weren't for the raiders), the bills are the only team in the NFL to not hit triple digit total scoring yet.  They have 96pts in 9 games.  27 of them came against the Vikings.   So 69 points in 8 other games.  That's what... around 8.5 points per game?  In this Offense slanted league?  That's laughable. 

I don't think our schedule is that much more difficult... because in 2017 five out of our 10 non division foes ended up in the playoffs and the Vikings went 3-2 against them.  Obviously the playoffs haven't started yet in 2018 but the Rams and Saints should make it in.  0-2 vs them in 2018.  Eagles might make it, niners, bills, cards and jets are going to have to "get hot" to sneak in, doubt that happens.  That leaves Pats, Seahawks and Dolphins.  Hags and Phins have similar records to us.  Pats should make it in.  The Vikings will have to beat these three "playoff" teams to equal their 3-2 of 2017.  Unless the eagles make it.   
But basically the comparison is unfair due to the it's 16 games(Pat) vs 9(Flip). 

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
2017 - non division foes.  Saints, Steelers, Bucs, Ravens, Browns, Redskins, Rams, Falcons, Panthers and Bengals.
2018 - non division foes.  Niners, Bills, Rams, Eagles, Cards, Jets, Saints, Patriots, Seahawks, and Dolphins. 

2017 the Vikings beat teams with winning record.  They also beat teams that ended up in the playoffs.  They beat what was considered the best NFC team at the time(Rams) handily.  Smacked them around actually. 

2018 -  Vikings have not beat a team with a winning record.  Lost to what could be considered the worst team in the NFL this year(if it weren't for the raiders), the bills are the only team in the NFL to not hit triple digit total scoring yet.  They have 96pts in 9 games.  27 of them came against the Vikings.   So 69 points in 8 other games.  That's what... around 8.5 points per game?  In this Offense slanted league?  That's laughable. 

I don't think our schedule is that much more difficult... because in 2017 five out of our 10 non division foes ended up in the playoffs and the Vikings went 3-2 against them.  Obviously the playoffs haven't started yet in 2018 but the Rams and Saints should make it in.  0-2 vs them in 2018.  Eagles might make it, niners, bills, cards and jets are going to have to "get hot" to sneak in, doubt that happens.  That leaves Pats, Seahawks and Dolphins.  Hags and Phins have similar records to us.  Pats should make it in.  The Vikings will have to beat these three "playoff" teams to equal their 3-2 of 2017.  Unless the eagles make it.   
But basically the comparison is unfair due to the it's 16 games(Pat) vs 9(Flip). 
On this one point, I am going to point out that the differences between the Rams game last year and this year are these:

1. The Vikings were four days removed from a rough day (at this point, we still had no idea what was up with Griffen not playing)
2. It was a Thursday night game (road teams are at a significant disadvantage)
3. It was on the road
4. The Vikings scored 31 points on the Rams this year, and 24 against them last year.

The offense was not the reason the Vikings didn't beat the Rams. In fact, they were driving to tie the game late until the turnover.

So, even in a worse situation (on the road on a short week), the Vikings scored more this year than they did last.

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

this years Ram and aints are significantly better than last years teams.    you cant just look at the teams,  you have to look at the makeup of the team and how they are playing as well.  Not to mention our D hasnt played as well this year as they were playing early last year and that changes how an offense approaches a game plan as well.  throw out the anomolies and shit and just looking at the teams,  I like this years offense quite a bit better than last years offering.  stats be damned I am more confident this year when the O has the ball than I was at any point last year,  even with intermittant the shitty line play to date.