Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: So I just got back from Brazil (hops related)
For those were once following my adventure growing hops here in Montana, it took a bit of a wild turn this past week as I traveled to Southern Brazil for the week, where I was one of the presenters at a Technical Brewers Workshop in Curitiba, a town of 2.5 million that I had never heard of.  First, who woulda thunk that my adventure would have taken me south of the equator, and second, who woulda ever thought that I would be considered an international expert in anything related to hops.

We have developed a new product related to hops as an ingredient, an essential oil that has numerous aromatic/flavor advantages, but more importantly, many impressive economic/efficiency advantages for brewers, large and small.  That wasn't the original intent of course, but like so many things, I've just listened to my customers as they continue to tell us that it checks off this box and that box.   

My Distributor took me to four breweries on Monday, hosted the Workshop on Tuesday, drove me to near Sao Paulo (Campinas, 100 km to the NW) on Thursday (6 1/2 hours), and then to three more breweries on Thursday before flying home Thursday night.  It was as much training the sales force as anything.  And I learned a bit of useful Portugese when I was there, such as "obrigado" (thank you) and "um mas cervesa por favor", (another beer, please), and the very important "sanitorios masculina?" (Where's the men's restroom?).

I had never seen slums before, and it was an eye-opener.   With 214 million people, Brazil is the #3 beer market in the world, and has over 800 Craft breweries (vs. nearly 7,000 for the U.S. currently).  The breweries we visited...they made really good beer.  The people were cordial, friendly and warm.  The road systems really, truly sucked.  I thought they put the "smooth side down" on most of them.  

The Sao Paulo region has 25 million people.  Mind-blowing.  I'd heard of the population in Mexico City (I was there on business probably a dozen years ago), and just like that crazy traffic city, there is no way that I would drive in Sao Paulo or any city in Brasil.  Of course, my old ranch pickup would have been totally out of place.

Next month, I travel to Germany for the largest beer/beverage trade show in the world, where we are exhibiting.  The good news?  With WIFI, I can still follow you guys here, follow Vikings news, and not be totally out of touch.

At a time when many of my old high school classmates are taking early retirement or contemplating retirement soon, I'm embarking on building a new business.  Crazy.  Did I mention that I love my job?  

Good for you!

Master of your craft and clearly involved in something interesting and energizing.

For most? They don't call that a job, but rather a career. And careers can go on for a lifetime. 

I have a question for you --- how beautiful were the women in Brazil? They're has to be something in the water down there...

I used to brew beer as a hobby and am also a gardener. So I grew four different types of hops one year. Only one variety did well here in Nebraska and I had to battle aphids to keep them going. I used them to brew a batch and dry hop another batch with mixed results. I just estimated the alpha acid content and didn't use enough of the whole hops.
Anyway it was a fun experience I didn't repeat. I wondered at the time if there were any commercial growing opportunities but realized Nebraska isn't probably the best place to grow hops.
I really enjoy your story and hope you have great success. Extracting the essential oils is an interesting concept that would seem to have a lot of potential. Keep us updated and congratulations.

Great to hear from you.  And I'm glad things are going so well for you and your "hobby".  =)

Any Yak ale in the future? 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Good for you!

Master of your craft and clearly involved in something interesting and energizing.

For most? They don't call that a job, but rather a career. And careers can go on for a lifetime. 

I have a question for you --- how beautiful were the women in Brazil? They're has to be something in the water down there...
The women?  Like women anywhere.  Keep in mind that I was not anywhere near a beach, probably 30 miles at one point, was the closest.   I did see some amazingly stunning, head-snapping women that I had to do a double take on.  The trophy wife wasn't with me on this trip, so I could look all I wanted LOL.

I had a lengthy conversation with one of the sales reps (we were on a six+ hour drive to Sao Paulo and had lots of time to talk "culture"), and he said that women in Brazil have a totally different attitude about attractiveness and sexuality than American women.  No matter who it is in business (or on the street), they dress with form fitting clothes to show their bodies, and they appreciate any and all comments of positive reinforcement.  He said most of those situations would cause a sexual harassment workplace charge in the U.S.  Down there, they encourage it.

But I will say this...the most gorgeous women that I saw clearly showed all the signs of being high-maintenance.  I'm okay with Montana women.  

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
I used to brew beer as a hobby and am also a gardener. So I grew four different types of hops one year. Only one variety did well here in Nebraska and I had to battle aphids to keep them going. I used them to brew a batch and dry hop another batch with mixed results. I just estimated the alpha acid content and didn't use enough of the whole hops.
Anyway it was a fun experience I didn't repeat. I wondered at the time if there were any commercial growing opportunities but realized Nebraska isn't probably the best place to grow hops.
I really enjoy your story and hope you have great success. Extracting the essential oils is an interesting concept that would seem to have a lot of potential. Keep us updated and congratulations.
Jargo, actually some friends of mine are growing hops commercially just south of Omaha.  Yes, it's tough to get commercially viable yields down there, because hops are latitude-sensitive (hours of daylight in the growing season).  But they are figuring it out.  And they are really good people.  It's not for the faint-hearted.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
For those were once following my adventure growing hops here in Montana, it took a bit of a wild turn this past week as I traveled to Southern Brazil for the week, where I was one of the presenters at a Technical Brewers Workshop in Curitiba, a town of 2.5 million that I had never heard of.  First, who woulda thunk that my adventure would have taken me south of the equator, and second, who woulda ever thought that I would be considered an international expert in anything related to hops.

We have developed a new product related to hops as an ingredient, an essential oil that has numerous aromatic/flavor advantages, but more importantly, many impressive economic/efficiency advantages for brewers, large and small.  That wasn't the original intent of course, but like so many things, I've just listened to my customers as they continue to tell us that it checks off this box and that box.   

My Distributor took me to four breweries on Monday, hosted the Workshop on Tuesday, drove me to near Sao Paulo (Campinas, 100 km to the NW) on Thursday (6 1/2 hours), and then to three more breweries on Thursday before flying home Thursday night.  It was as much training the sales force as anything.  And I learned a bit of useful Portugese when I was there, such as "obrigado" (thank you) and "um mas cervesa por favor", (another beer, please), and the very important "sanitorios masculina?" (Where's the men's restroom?).

I had never seen slums before, and it was an eye-opener.   With 214 million people, Brazil is the #3 beer market in the world, and has over 800 Craft breweries (vs. nearly 7,000 for the U.S. currently).  The breweries we visited...they made really good beer.  The people were cordial, friendly and warm.  The road systems really, truly sucked.  I thought they put the "smooth side down" on most of them.  

The Sao Paulo region has 25 million people.  Mind-blowing.  I'd heard of the population in Mexico City (I was there on business probably a dozen years ago), and just like that crazy traffic city, there is no way that I would drive in Sao Paulo or any city in Brasil.  Of course, my old ranch pickup would have been totally out of place.

Next month, I travel to Germany for the largest beer/beverage trade show in the world, where we are exhibiting.  The good news?  With WIFI, I can still follow you guys here, follow Vikings news, and not be totally out of touch.

At a time when many of my old high school classmates are taking early retirement or contemplating retirement soon, I'm embarking on building a new business.  Crazy.  Did I mention that I love my job?  
Big Sky.....You are my hero!

I hope I have half the drive you have in 10 years or so.

That’s so awesome Tom, makes me thirsty for a cold one, coincidently!  B)

This was really cool to read. Very interesting, congrats on your success Tom. May it continue!

You, sir, are living the dream (you probably know it too).  Congrats, Tom, sounds like you're doing great!