Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting and fishing in Minnesota
Well we drove up Sunday and got here early Monday morning. We are spending a few days deer hunting ( it's been a long long time since I've been able to do this with Brian) and then we are heading out to fish for a few days. Possibly hunt a couple more days and head home.
Hopefully we'll be headed back with some venison.

I miss venison. I love it. My Mom used to can it and its unreal that way. Venison sausage. Delicious. Growing up in the U.P. of Michigan we had it all the time. Freezer was always full of venison steaks.

Good for you Pops.  Glad you get to enjoy some time with him now.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I miss venison. I love it. My Mom used to can it and its unreal that way. Venison sausage. Delicious. Growing up in the U.P. of Michigan we had it all the time.
thats something I have never been able to eat is canned meat.  I am sure its fine and all, but it just reminds me to much of 8th grade biology with all the little dead animals in the jars with formeldahyde.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I miss venison. I love it. My Mom used to can it and its unreal that way. Venison sausage. Delicious. Growing up in the U.P. of Michigan we had it all the time.
thats something I have never been able to eat is canned meat.  I am sure its fine and all, but it just reminds me to much of 8th grade biology with all the little dead animals in the jars with formeldahyde.
Its amazingly good. Canned pickles, beets, etc. It just preserves it. Its not like you eat the venison out of the jar, you cook it just like you would if you took it out of the freezer and let it thaw. 

[Image: Pressure-Canning-3.jpg]

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
Its amazingly good. Canned pickles, beets, etc. It just preserves it. Its not like you eat the venison out of the jar, you cook it just like you would if you took it out of the freezer and let it thaw. 

[Image: Pressure-Canning-3.jpg]
oh i understand the concept... my wife cans a lot of stuff (happens to be kraut day at home today)  just meat in a jar on  a shelf makes me a bit sick to think of eating it...if I dont know... it probably would even know,  but like I said... the fetal pig in a clear jar that I starred at all year in 86 just sticks with me on this matter.

I was back in Minnesota for the weekend to do a little bow hunting...  passed up two nice bucks waiting for the "big one".  This cold weather had them moving before the storm on Sunday.  Good luck and shoot straight, Pops.  Keep us all updated if you guys get some deer and/or fish.
BOOM

So YOU were the one who brought the cold weather! Smile

Good luck and have fun Robison's!  Shoot a big one and catch a creel full!

Without pics it didn't happen pops
Be safe and good luck