Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think We Have A RT
Quote: @Mike Olson said:
I thought O'Neil looked awful in the first half. At one point he was getting run over almost every play. I guess I don't see it. 
Mike,

No doubt he is getting beat from time to time, but it seems his misses are more assignment based where he isn't peeling off a double team to take the rusher coming in his zone rather than flat out getting beat. He is much more effective at pushing the speed rushers to the outside where they can't get their paws on Cousins. Remmers is also causing O'Neill a lot of problems as he consistently is getting beat between the guard/tackle gap and allowing pressure. I see him having to help Remmers out a lot which is freeing up outside rushers. It will get better with more reps for him. Hill is what he is at this point and needs to sit before he gets our QB killed. 

Yeah, we could really use Reilly Reiff back at left tackle.  And hope we have no more injuries on the O Line. 
My thought after watching all these plays is that when one guy does his job, someone else is leaking a defender.  How often have you seen where Cousins had "way too much time"? 
Cousins is making this offense go and covering up a lot of the sins of the O line by making quick reads and getting the ball out fast.  Where we get into trouble is when Cousins tries to keep the play alive and instead of paying attention to his mental clock and just getting the ball out of there.  It's a fine line that he has to be conscious of.
When asked about the fumbles Zimmer said from what he saw, Cousins lost the ball when the pressure was behind him and he would step up in the pocket and said that they would have to address it and take better care of the ball.  Sounded like he thought Cousins was the problem but I think they have to do a better job of staying with the outside rush.  At least on Hill's side.

Does anyone have an answer as to why so many batted balls today?  i remember at least six. I know its happened before but not to the extent it did today.  Is this on cousins or the OL?

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
Does anyone have an answer as to why so many batted balls today?  i remember at least six. I know its happened before but not to the extent it did today.  Is this on cousins or the OL?
Good question.  I think it is a combination of things.  First of all, the pocket that the OL created was smaller than most QBs would prefer.  That means that the DL was closer to him and- therefore- in a better position to block balls.  Second of all, there are times when Cousins makes his mind up early and fires the ball after a 1 step drop.  Arizona looked to be prepared for that and- rather than trying to rush him- they prepared to jump up into the passing lane (Cousins likes those quick slants).  Or it could just be that it's all a coincidence and the Cardinals got lucky...?

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
I think its likely something the Cardinals saw on film. Cousins has a really tight, quick release, but it's also a low release. 

As far as O'Neill goes, I've seen him get blown up a few times, but overall I'm impressed, mostly because I never really expected him to contribute this year. 

Hill struggled, but let's not forget he was going against Chandler Jones, the player who finished 3rd in defensive player of the year voting last year, was defensive player of the week last week and is supposedly (according to the announcers) one of the leading candidates for defensive player of the year this year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Caactorvike said:
I think its likely something the Cardinals saw on film. Cousins has a really tight, quick release, but it's also a low release. 

As far as O'Neill goes, I've seen him get blown up a few times, but overall I'm impressed, mostly because I never really expected him to contribute this year. 

Hill struggled, but let's not forget he was going against Chandler Jones, the player who finished 3rd in defensive player of the year voting last year, was defensive player of the week last week and is supposedly (according to the announcers) one of the leading candidates for defensive player of the year this year. 
I know its taboo to say anything negative about Cousins game,  walks on water and all... but he was starring down some of his targets yesterday and those were getting batted down.  pretty easy to do when he isnt looking off his preferred choice.  I am disappointed that when those cardinal Dlinemen were going vertical to bat those balls down that they werent put on their backs by our Olinemen... that is a must if a DL raises his arm and jumps to drive up and through him and deposit him on his ass or his face... cant let them get comfortable going up like that.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Caactorvike said:

I know its taboo to say anything negative about Cousins game,  walks on water and all... but he was starring down some of his targets yesterday and those were getting batted down.  pretty easy to do when he isnt looking off his preferred choice.  I am disappointed that when those cardinal Dlinemen were going vertical to bat those balls down that they werent put on their backs by our Olinemen... that is a must if a DL raises his arm and jumps to drive up and through him and deposit him on his ass or his face... cant let them get comfortable going up like that.
He was getting hit a lot yesterday, guys around him on many throws. Had some throws batted down. He's not beyond criticism, but at the same time, not sure I'm looking his way as a problem yesterday. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Caactorvike said:

He was getting hit a lot yesterday, guys around him on many throws. Had some throws batted down. He's not beyond criticism, but at the same time, not sure I'm looking his way as a problem yesterday. 
starring down targets has to be on him... no way to blame somebody else when a QB locks on.  I went back and rewatched those plays to see if the linemen were doing their jobs and on most of those batted passes he was locked onto somebody for at least a 1 count prior to releasing the ball in that direction.  he needs to pump fake or work off his primary target more often.   Its not a killer issue,  but in spite of getting knocked around he does have to get back to the finer points of the position at times.  balls getting batted back at him or to the ground dont bother me so much,  but the ones that go up in the air are scary as shit and could easily be turnovers.  it needs to get cleaned up.

I got big time OL envy watching the Patriots last night...

As a unit, the Vikings OL is absolutely dreadful. 

Now I have to go say a few "hail mary's" cause I coveted like crazy. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Caactorvike said:

starring down targets has to be on him... no way to blame somebody else when a QB locks on.  I went back and rewatched those plays to see if the linemen were doing their jobs and on most of those batted passes he was locked onto somebody for at least a 1 count prior to releasing the ball in that direction.  he needs to pump fake or work off his primary target more often.   Its not a killer issue,  but in spite of getting knocked around he does have to get back to the finer points of the position at times.  balls getting batted back at him or to the ground dont bother me so much,  but the ones that go up in the air are scary as shit and could easily be turnovers.  it needs to get cleaned up.

I think there’s two things going on.  1)  He
was definitely staring down his receivers, so the defenders had enough time to
jump in the way of the ball if they couldn’t get home on the rush.  2) 
Arizona knew that we were making an effort to get the ball out quickly,
because of our OLine, so they came in with the plan to get their hands up if
they weren’t going to get home in time. 
I think we’ll see this strategy a lot going forward.  It’s one of the natural counters to us trying
to get the ball out quick.