Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we see any changes in the Offensive Line this week?
Quote: @minny65 said:
It is our Interior Line that is killing us although Hill was beat like a drum vs Buffalo/Hughes.  Reiff, once again, is playing the best of all our OL.  He scored his 3rd highest grade as a viking in the first game vs 49'ers.  Now he hurt his left foot so hopefully that will be OK.

Also hoping having Elflein back full time will help the interior.  I agree with those that want to replace Hill with O'Neil.  
I also agree with those that would like to see Jones in place of Compton.  Lastly, Remmers is not playing well at the other guard position so I would give him a few more games to try someone else.  

I would start the changes by getting O'Neil and Jones starting ASAP.

Here is PFF quote from the Rams game:

For the second straight week, an opposing defensive lineman mauled the Minnesota Vikings. Against Buffalo, the Vikings struggled to slow down pass rusher Jerry Hughes. In Thursday night’s 38-31 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Minnesota’s offensive line had no answer for Aaron Donald.
Los Angeles’s franchise defensive tackle registered 13 pressures (two sacks, two QB hits, nine hurries) in th Rams’ victory, according to Pro Football Focus. He was also credited with four run stops.
The interior of the Vikings’ offensive line had no answer for the Rams’ inside rushers Donald and Ndamukong Suh. The former Lion and Dolphin had six pressures and a batted pass.
Guards Tom Compton and Mike Remmers gave up 15 pressures and Pat Elflein allowed five in his first start of the year, per PFF.

Playing on an injured foot, left tackle Riley Reiff had the best game of any Vikings O-lineman by far. In 58 dropbacks he allowed four pressures. PFF did not ding Reiff for the final Vikings play in which Kirk Cousins was strip-sacked. On the play, Reiff was able to push his man past the passer but John Franklin-Myers got a hand out on Cousins’ arm.
It was a tale of two offensive lines on Thursday with the Rams allowing just one sack, one QB hit and 10 hurries. Put another way: Aaron Donald outplayed the entire Vikings defensive line.
For the first 2 1/2 quarters, I would disagree.  I think our offense held that defense in check for the most part.  We couldn't run, but we were keeping Cousins pretty clean, on the road, against Donald and Suh.  But eventually the inability to run and our lack of defense betrayed the passing game and made it very difficult to protect Cousins.

Quote: @greediron said:
@TBro said:
@purplefaithful said:
They must be seeing something during practice that's keeping the kids to the bench...Don't know how short of a leash some of the starters with poor scores have?

Too long for many of us...
That's the frustrating part. We have no idea what they see in practice that thinks this current lineup is the best option they have. If those backup players don't feel like they are a getting a fair opportunity to start, even if they outperform the starters in practice, how motivated will they continue to be if the only chance is due to an injury? Pure speculation on my part but you have to wonder what is going on in their heads when you can't run the ball, are giving up the most QB pressures in the league, and are on pace for the most pressures in the history of the NFL. 
So we need to run the ball better, but we should put in the rookie that lacks the power for the run game at RT? 

I agree that Compton doesn't look good at guard, but other than that, leave the line alone and let them develop some continuity.
So you agree on Compton, but not on Hill. That's fine. IMO O'Neill is a much better fit with the zone blocking scheme we are running with his athleticism. Have you watched any film? I watched some of the running plays against the Rams and the entire line is pathetic. Remmers and Hill were double teaming Donald quite a bit, but Hill was always late to recognize the linebackers run blitzing the open gap and just couldn't move or react quick enough to release Donald resulting in tackles at or behind the line. I also saw designed runs were they had Compton pulling to pick up the RDE after a whiffed chip block by Rudy. He is so slow and awkward and should not be asked to block on the move. He can't even block his man when he stays at his guard position so how do they expect him to be a pulling guard and be effective? Reiff and Elf also had some challenges with Suh and Brockers so the dysfunctionality was across the board. Bottom line for me is that "continuity" isn't going to fix the O line's issues. They are struggling to block in the zone schemes Flip has designed in his offense because they just don't have the talent to execute it. Time for some changes. Patience isn't going to help.  

For the first 2 1/2 quarters, I would disagree.  I think our offense held that defense in check for the most part.  We couldn't run, but we were keeping Cousins pretty clean, on the road, against Donald and Suh.  But eventually the inability to run and our lack of defense betrayed the passing game and made it very difficult to protect Cousins.
Agreed.  I thought Flip did a good job rolling Cousins out to keep that Lamb interior D at home. 
But our O line can't run block for squat for some reason.  Can't we draft "road graders" anymore?  Is run blocking such a vanishing skill in college?  I realize RB's are hybrids but they still run the ball 15-25 time per game.

[Image: s6ukq6nbf1p0.gif]

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@greediron said:

Agreed.  I thought Flip did a good job rolling Cousins out to keep that Lamb interior D at home. 
But our O line can't run block for squat for some reason.  Can't we draft "road graders" anymore?  Is run blocking such a vanishing skill in college?  I realize RB's are hybrids but they still run the ball 15-25 time per game.

[Image: s6ukq6nbf1p0.gif]

Well, I think it is scheme.  We want guys that can get out on the edge and block for screens and such, so some is different skills.  But there is more to it than just having the strength to move people.  Against LA, I think Flip just avoided running up the middle because of Suh and Donald.  So that frees them up even more to just fire off and not worry about defending their gap.  Maybe it is the RPO mentality.  The line has to be doing both, pass blocking on run plays because it could be a pass.  Or it could be limited practice time for the big fellas.

@minny65 said:
It is our Interior Line that is killing us although Hill was beat like a drum vs Buffalo/Hughes.  Reiff, once again, is playing the best of all our OL.  He scored his 3rd highest grade as a viking in the first game vs 49'ers.  Now he hurt his left foot so hopefully that will be OK.

Also hoping having Elflein back full time will help the interior.  I agree with those that want to replace Hill with O'Neil.  
I also agree with those that would like to see Jones in place of Compton.  Lastly, Remmers is not playing well at the other guard position so I would give him a few more games to try someone else.  

For the second straight week, an opposing defensive lineman mauled the Minnesota Vikings. Against Buffalo, the Vikings struggled to slow down pass rusher Jerry Hughes. In Thursday night’s 38-31 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Minnesota’s offensive line had no answer for Aaron Donald.
Los Angeles’s franchise defensive tackle registered 13 pressures (two sacks, two QB hits, nine hurries) in th Rams’ victory, according to Pro Football Focus. He was also credited with four run stops.
The interior of the Vikings’ offensive line had no answer for the Rams’ inside rushers Donald and Ndamukong Suh. The former Lion and Dolphin had six pressures and a batted pass.
Guards Tom Compton and Mike Remmers gave up 15 pressures and Pat Elflein allowed five in his first start of the year, per PFF.

Playing on an injured foot, left tackle Riley Reiff had the best game of any Vikings O-lineman by far. In 58 dropbacks he allowed four pressures. PFF did not ding Reiff for the final Vikings play in which Kirk Cousins was strip-sacked. On the play, Reiff was able to push his man past the passer but John Franklin-Myers got a hand out on Cousins’ arm.
It was a tale of two offensive lines on Thursday with the Rams allowing just one sack, one QB hit and 10 hurries. Put another way: Aaron Donald outplayed the entire Vikings defensive line.
@minny65 said:

quote from PFF, thats all

Flip basically said in his presser yesterday they aren't going to change up the current lineup. Which means they feel they have the best guys out there.....and I find that sad.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Flip basically said in his presser yesterday they aren't going to change up the current lineup. Which means they feel they have the best guys out there.....and I find that sad.
The question is does he really believe that or is Zimmer making those decisions for him? 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@greediron said:
@minny65 said:

Quote:
quote from PFF, thats all
Understand.  And I have my thoughts on PFF as well.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I agree, sounds like a day to go duck hunting and watch the game later if it is not a blowout.  This OL will not be improved until next year, assuming MZ & RS  give it a priority over another DB, LB, or DE.  I'm guessing defense gets the first two picks in the draft and we pick up some late round project OL and scrub FA OL,  Our current strategy...

ZImmer likes this O-line. It makes his putrid defense look better at practice...