Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we see any changes in the Offensive Line this week?
If we roll out the same starting 5, I don't like our chances against the Eagles. Compton needs to go back to the bench.
Hill was beaten like a rented mule the last time we faced the Eagles. I expect more of the same if we don't shake things
up. I would like to see a line made up of Reiff, Jones or Isadora, Elf, Remmers, O'Neill and see if that will help fix some
of the leaky line play and improve our run blocking. 

I like your line proposal quite a lot - actually I think you could make a case to bench both Compton and Remmers and try Jones and Isadora as our OGs. That probably seems too much like playing for the future, I suppose.

I've given up hope for seeing any meaningful changes to the offensive line from this team. Some of the problems are due to injuries,  a lot of it is neglect.

[Image: wqzcdbqj3qm0.jpg]Found this on Facebook...seems to be correct... Wink

Quote: @Ralphie said:
[Image: wqzcdbqj3qm0.jpg]Found this on Facebook...seems to be correct... Wink

No I believe you are mistaken...I think this was posted on EggFacebook.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I like your line proposal quite a lot - actually I think you could make a case to bench both Compton and Remmers and try Jones and Isadora as our OGs. That probably seems too much like playing for the future, I suppose.
My guess based on how Zimmer operates is he will trot out the same starters as long as they're healthy and ignore the glaring weaknesses they have displayed so far. Why would you trade for Jones and not play him? I know we didn't give up much for him, but Compton has proven he is not a starter so far. I think at minimum, either he or Isadora deserve a shot at LG. As far as Remmers is concerned, he will have a starting job as long as he is healthy because of how much money they are paying him. Right or wrong, it isn't always about the best players on the field as contracts and money get in the way. I maintain that Remmers has performed better as a RT but for some reason the coaches think otherwise. I have never been a Hill fan. He couldn't cut it as a starter last year when he got the call, and this year he constantly seems banged up. I'm ready to live with O'Neill at RT for the rest of the year as I think he brings more athleticism to the table and is the long term future. Considering the circumstances he has had to come into, he has performed quite well in my opinion. Plus we need to figure out an answer to our running game issues which requires a shakeup in the OLine IMO.  

They must be seeing something during practice that's keeping the kids to the bench...Don't know how short of a leash some of the starters with poor scores have?

Too long for many of us...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
They must be seeing something during practice that's keeping the kids to the bench...Don't know how short of a leash some of the starters with poor scores have?

That's the frustrating part. We have no idea what they see in practice that thinks this current lineup is the best option they have. If those backup players don't feel like they are a getting a fair opportunity to start, even if they outperform the starters in practice, how motivated will they continue to be if the only chance is due to an injury? Pure speculation on my part but you have to wonder what is going on in their heads when you can't run the ball, are giving up the most QB pressures in the league, and are on pace for the most pressures in the history of the NFL. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@purplefaithful said:

That's the frustrating part. We have no idea what they see in practice that thinks this current lineup is the best option they have. If those backup players don't feel like they are a getting a fair opportunity to start, even if they outperform the starters in practice, how motivated will they continue to be if the only chance is due to an injury? Pure speculation on my part but you have to wonder what is going on in their heads when you can't run the ball, are giving up the most QB pressures in the league, and are on pace for the most pressures in the history of the NFL. 
So we need to run the ball better, but we should put in the rookie that lacks the power for the run game at RT? 

I agree that Compton doesn't look good at guard, but other than that, leave the line alone and let them develop some continuity.

It is our Interior Line that is killing us although Hill was beat like a drum vs Buffalo/Hughes.  Reiff, once again, is playing the best of all our OL.  He scored his 3rd highest grade as a viking in the first game vs 49'ers.  Now he hurt his left foot so hopefully that will be OK.

Also hoping having Elflein back full time will help the interior.  I agree with those that want to replace Hill with O'Neil.  
I also agree with those that would like to see Jones in place of Compton.  Lastly, Remmers is not playing well at the other guard position so I would give him a few more games to try someone else.  

I would start the changes by getting O'Neil and Jones starting ASAP.

Here is PFF quote from the Rams game:

For the second straight week, an opposing defensive lineman mauled the Minnesota Vikings. Against Buffalo, the Vikings struggled to slow down pass rusher Jerry Hughes. In Thursday night’s 38-31 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Minnesota’s offensive line had no answer for Aaron Donald.
Los Angeles’s franchise defensive tackle registered 13 pressures (two sacks, two QB hits, nine hurries) in th Rams’ victory, according to Pro Football Focus. He was also credited with four run stops.

The interior of the Vikings’ offensive line had no answer for the Rams’ inside rushers Donald and Ndamukong Suh. The former Lion and Dolphin had six pressures and a batted pass.
Guards Tom Compton and Mike Remmers gave up 15 pressures and Pat Elflein allowed five in his first start of the year, per PFF.

Playing on an injured foot, left tackle Riley Reiff had the best game of any Vikings O-lineman by far. In 58 dropbacks he allowed four pressures. PFF did not ding Reiff for the final Vikings play in which Kirk Cousins was strip-sacked. On the play, Reiff was able to push his man past the passer but John Franklin-Myers got a hand out on Cousins’ arm.
It was a tale of two offensive lines on Thursday with the Rams allowing just one sack, one QB hit and 10 hurries. Put another way: Aaron Donald outplayed the entire Vikings defensive line.

Quote: