Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EG's struggles may explain the emotionless beatdown
Hopefully Griff is safe and getting the help needed.  And hopefully his family is staying away from the negative coverage and crazy speculations.

But in relation to the team, this would explain the out of character performance by the team.  Cousins was off.  Thielen was dropping balls.  The D was seriously undisciplined.  But can you imagine trying to focus on a job knowing what happened to their brother at practice and then again later Saturday?  Reports are he was kicked out of practice because he was acting erratic.  So the entire team knows something bad is going on with him.  Doubt they hear much more about him until word likely got out about his behavior at the hotel. 

So stay focused, do your job, don't think about the brother that isn't here because something is really wrong.  They start ok and stop the offense.  Except they don't.  No big deal, keep on keeping on.  Then 2 turnovers and boom, down 17-0 in no time.  Can't imagine trying to stay the course when every bounce goes the wrong way after that happened the last few days.  Hell, I am amazed some didn't just walk off the field and pull a Vontae Davis.  I feel bad about being pissed off to the extent I was.  It wasn't bad, after the first half I just filed it away under "Viking football" and knew it wasn't that important.  Turns out, it wasn't.

At this point in my life, the Vikings are just an enjoyable distraction.  So I feel for the guys trying to gut it out.  Especially when the world seemed against them at every turn.

*edited as the practice issue was Saturday, not Thursday.

There are true leaders on every team. 
The guys other players respect and look to in battle.His reaction last year of "the miracle" I'll always remember...The guy is all heart.

When those guys go down through injury, or GPA, or other issues it can really take the wind out of a team's sails.
Football aside I hope the best for Griff & family

Quote: @greediron said:
Hopefully Griff is safe and getting the help needed.  And hopefully his family is staying away from the negative coverage and crazy speculations.

But in relation to the team, this would explain the out of character performance by the team.  Cousins was off.  Thielen was dropping balls.  The D was seriously undisciplined.  But can you imagine trying to focus on a job knowing what happened to their brother at practice and then again later Saturday?  Reports are he was kicked out of practice because he was acting erratic.  So the entire team knows something bad is going on with him.  Doubt they hear much more about him until word likely got out about his behavior at the hotel. 

So stay focused, do your job, don't think about the brother that isn't here because something is really wrong.  They start ok and stop the offense.  Except they don't.  No big deal, keep on keeping on.  Then 2 turnovers and boom, down 17-0 in no time.  Can't imagine trying to stay the course when every bounce goes the wrong way after that happened the last few days.  Hell, I am amazed some didn't just walk off the field and pull a Vontae Davis.  I feel bad about being pissed off to the extent I was.  It wasn't bad, after the first half I just filed it away under "Viking football" and knew it wasn't that important.  Turns out, it wasn't.

At this point in my life, the Vikings are just an enjoyable distraction.  So I feel for the guys trying to gut it out.  Especially when the world seemed against them at every turn.

A true Contender has to deal with adversity throughout the season. As much as this may have been a distraction before the game started, they quickly should have forgotten about EG's troubles when Buffalo marched down the field to go up 7-0. They never recovered after that wakeup call. It reminded me of the NFC Championship Game last year. We started out great and then as soon as we faced some adversity, we had no answers to stop it. This team seems to be very fragile emotionally at times when we are in big games or there are high expectations placed on them. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@greediron said:

A true Contender has to deal with adversity throughout the season. As much as this may have been a distraction before the game started, they quickly should have forgotten about EG's troubles when Buffalo marched down the field to go up 7-0. They never recovered after that wakeup call. It reminded me of the NFC Championship Game last year. We started out great and then as soon as we faced some adversity, we had no answers to stop it. This team seems to be very fragile emotionally at times when we are in big games or there are high expectations placed on them. 
Not sure what a "true contender" is.  But as I layed out above, they were obviously distracted but still got a 3 and out except for a questionable penalty.  Then 2 bounces and with everything going on, the snowball effect was out of control quickly.

@TBro said:
@greediron said:

Not sure what a "true contender" is.  But as I layed out above, they were obviously distracted but still got a 3 and out except for a questionable penalty.  Then 2 bounces and with everything going on, the snowball effect was out of control quickly.
regarding the "questionable" call/calls.... did anybody else early in the game get the feeling that the league might be sending a message to Zim to STFU about their new "safety" rules and what a ref may or may not have said to Dejo?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@TBro said:
@greediron said:

regarding the "questionable" call/calls.... did anybody else early in the game get the feeling that the league might be sending a message to Zim to STFU about their new "safety" rules and what a ref may or may not have said to Dejo?
Dunno, but I did see McCarthy whining about his guys getting called for holding in DC.  So Zim may have influence in a positive way? Wink

@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@TBro said:
@greediron said:

Dunno, but I did see McCarthy whining about his guys getting called for holding in DC.  So Zim may have influence in a positive way? Wink
there was a couple questionable calls that made me say... really?  like the double man block on the return,  thats a new one,  i know there are new rules but you typically dont hear those penalties called... pretty obscure IMO and likely one of those that could be called on every return.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
there was a couple questionable calls that made me say... really?  like the double man block on the return,  thats a new one,  i know there are new rules but you typically dont hear those penalties called... pretty obscure IMO and likely one of those that could be called on every return.
That to me seemed more on the lines of lack of focus by the return team.  They know it is a new rule, but were not focused on their job.  It certainly was one that added to that snowball early tho.  IMO if the league wanted to shut him up, they would fine him.

@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
That to me seemed more on the lines of lack of focus by the return team.  They know it is a new rule, but were not focused on their job.  It certainly was one that added to that snowball early tho.  IMO if the league wanted to shut him up, they would fine him.
for calling out injustices that the general public thinks is BS,  that looks bad for the league,  they have easier ways that the general public doesnt hear about.... part time refs... what a wild card.

I agree with this, and from what I read it started earlier in the week with his erratic behavior to where he was sent home from practice and not allowed back until he got a mental health check. Im sure it was really worrying the entire team as to whats going on with our Leader?? I wonder if some thought it was some sort of concussion issue with his head and were scared for the guy. And then the event at the Hotel the night before the game. I can only imagine players staying up late talking about what happened etc. -probably did not get much sleep.  - I just hope they can turn it around and come out this Thursday night with the opposite attitude (or a positive lets kick their ass attitude) - "Lets get this one for our brother Grif!!"