Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for recommendations ...
I was not able to get to Minneapolis for a game at the new stadium last year but told my son we would try to make it to a game this year. I am in Miami and he is in school at UF but will be home for winter break in mid-December.  So I just bought two tickets to the Dolphins game on 12/16 and booked our flights - arriving Saturday late and leaving Monday at noon. 
So I'm looking for suggestions re: (1) where to stay; and (2) after the game on Sunday?  I would like to stay reasonably close to the stadium but it does not have to be walking distance.  As for Sunday evening, any nice restaurants and sports bars recommendations would be most welcome.  Thanks.

Look into the Best Western Normandy on 4th and 8th. Modest hotel that is overpriced for Viking games because it's just a few blocks from the stadium. But that proximity makes it worth it. Light rail from the airport takes you within a couple blocks, and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to USB from there. It's also only 3 or 4 blocks from all the sports bars on Nicolette and 1st Ave.

The Wild play at 1:00 on Saturday so that would be a great time if you could make both.  

Nice restaurants everywhere downtown, dade. But a great sports bar afterwards is CityWorks on Hennepin Ave. You can catch all the games there and its big. Decent bar food, also.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Look into the Best Western Normandy on 4th and 8th. Modest hotel that is overpriced for Viking games because it's just a few blocks from the stadium. But that proximity makes it worth it. Light rail from the airport takes you within a couple blocks, and it's about a 10-15 minute walk to USB from there. It's also only 3 or 4 blocks from all the sports bars on Nicolette and 1st Ave.
Nice suggestions. I don't know how long dadevike has been in the Miami area. Me I left Minnesota for Florida 30 years ago. 15 minute walk in Minnesota mid December is about 12 minutes longer then I could take...lol.
Last time we flew up around Christmas I stepped out of the plane into to tunnel and the cold air slapped me. I said to myself. What was I thinking??? Now I go in the summer.

I flew to Minnesota a few years ago in mid February for a funeral.  What a rude awaking stepping outside of the airport.  While it was in the low 60s in Arizona and I was playing in a softball tournament.  A few hours later, I was looking at 3 foot of snow and sub 0 temperatures.  I thought I was going to die.

Wimps, all of you...

OP - the MOA has light rail. Plenty of fun out there too - but downtown Mpls has an awful lot to offer. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Wimps, all of you...

OP - the MOA has light rail. Plenty of fun out there too - but downtown Mpls has an awful lot to offer. 
Yeah I heard plenty of that wimp talk that week. Sticks and stones...lol.
Yes I am.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Wimps, all of you...

I can understand how you can see that.  The first 16 yrs. of my life growing up in Minnesota with the snow drifts and cold weather was just the norm.  Never really thought about it...all it was, was time for snowmobiling, ice fishing and hockey.  Coming back during the winter after so many yrs. wasn't the norm no more.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@MaroonBells said:
Nice suggestions. I don't know how long dadevike has been in the Miami area. Me I left Minnesota for Florida 30 years ago. 15 minute walk in Minnesota mid December is about 12 minutes longer then I could take...lol.
Last time we flew up around Christmas I stepped out of the plane into to tunnel and the cold air slapped me. I said to myself. What was I thinking??? Now I go in the summer.
Forgot about that. I haven't been to a winter game since '98. For good reason. That might change this year tho. Haven't been able to get to a game yet this year, so I'm hoping for a home playoff game or two.