Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A day of bad news for Viking's fans
A horrible loss to Buffalo at home and some mystery legal issues possibly for Everson Griffen. Not great by any stretch. Bears and Lions win. Packers lose, but Vikes don't take advantage. And a quick turnaround for a Thursday night game against what might be the best team in the NFL, the LA Rams. 
Pretty crazy how much shit can hit the fan in one day and how different you can feel as a fan in one week's time.

I find it hard to logically feel like Minnesota is one of the NFC's elite teams now. Buffalo dismantled Minnesota in every facet of the game at home. Its the way they lost, not the loss itself. Lots of games yet, but its tough for me to buy into the idea they can move past some big issues that teams seem to be exploiting.

The roster is good,  this is the kind of loss that tells us about the team leadership,  including the coaching.  I haven't expected a win in LA,  but we certainly need a good showing to convince me that this team still is a contender. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
The roster is good,  this is the kind of loss that tells us about the team leadership,  including the coaching.  I haven't expected a win in LA,  but we certainly need a good showing to convince me that this team still is a contender. 
I think the team needs a victory to show they are a contender. A tall order on the road but it would completely right the ship. Moral victories are for lesser talented organizations....Minnesota is past that stuff. 

My deal is I just don't know how a contender can get their ass handed to them like that at home against a team like Buffalo. It has completely shaken my confidence in this team. 

I agree a short week might be a good thing. Gives them less time to think about this one. They will be focused Thursday and hopefully a bit embarrassed and angry. I don't understand this mysterious issue with Grif. Has there ever been a legal issue that been kept this secret lately? This game they totally lost focus. Players and coaches. One team heard all week they were the worst team in football. The other had no plan for what to do if they got behind. Never take a professional football game or team for granted.

I think it's time to admit that Zimmer's defense has been completely exposed. Dating back to the second half of the saints game this defense has gotten absolutely torched over and over. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
I think it's time to admit that Zimmer's defense has been completely exposed. Dating back to the second half of the saints game this defense has gotten absolutely torched over and over. 
I can't argue, but I can't agree 100% yet either. I read something yesterday by someone in the sports media that I've come to value their opinion that said the 'disparity between the dinosaurs of the NFL and the new young offensive coordinators is becoming very apparent'. His take was these young coordinators know exactly how to attack the old-style formerly effective defenses of the NFL (like Zimmer) and how they think. I think you are seeing that in reality to some extent. 

The NFL is completely geared to the offense and if you aren't propping that part of your team up, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't matter how much talent you get on defense, the NFL continues to mitigate that part of the game every year. The Vikings are more than fine at the impact positions on offense EXCEPT for the offensive line. Its a glaring issue and now its a giant problem. I mean, when you look at it, the Bills weren't some kind of offensive juggernaut yesterday. But Minnesota got behind and could not catch up because the line is horrible. Its a tough spot for any offense to come back from, however, in that exact situation. 

Zimmer has all the $$ and top picks. His D has looked pedestrian at best for quite awhile.

I expected a hangover this year. Itll be interesting what they do next year. 

I'd agree with that Sticky. Well actually I don't think your post disagrees with mine in any way. Yep younger Coordinators likely have Zimmer figured out. AND our Oline has been suspect at best for years. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
I'd agree with that Sticky. Well actually I don't think your post disagrees with mine in any way. Yep younger Coordinators likely have Zimmer figured out. AND our Oline has been suspect at best for years. 
I think I only disagree with your term 'completely' exposed. It can be had, but it still can be effective, especially if the offense is contributing with points. The Bills came was just a shit show of early turnovers and ineptitude, not sure how much can really be gathered other than it was gross.

while the D was bad,  as well as  the OL,  this cant be all put on Zimmer and the OL,  Cousins internal clock was shit yesterday,  he looked like a rookie from word go,  he wasnt climbing the pocket until it was to late,  he was unsure of what to do with the ball when he was given time.  He has to wear this one as well.  THat score wouldnt have been as bad early if KC hadnt turned it over in his own end twice in the first half... at the very least Buffalo would have had to work the field more to get their points instead of just move 30 yards or what ever it was.