Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you believe this garbage- and that our former players are part of it?
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@Mike Olson said:
@pumpf said:All that being said, doesn't it bother anyone that the HOF'ers are ONLY asking for these things for themselves- not the entire league?
Nope. The league has been making money off these guys for years and lied to them about what they knew and when they knew it in regards to health problems. I say go get whatever you can out of the league. The HOFers especially. They built what the league is. 
Agree, there are serious health concerns for former players.  Other people who can prove that their illness was/is caused by work get their healthcare paid.  I doubt the current owners give a rats arse about it though.  What exact leverage do the HOFers have to come asking for $100Ms to cover this? 
We talked to some ex players this weekend and heard stories about how guys took the concussion test and were told that they aren't eligible but that they would likely have problems down the road. So they have to get tested every two years waiting and knowing that they are going to have massive issues later in life. 

A "non-profit" organization pays it's commissioner $50million. Ex-players don't have a clue which room of the house they are standing in or who the guy calling them Dad is. 

Ask. Sue. I have zero problems with it. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@AGRforever said:
@Mike Olson said:
@pumpf said:All that being said, doesn't it bother anyone that the HOF'ers are ONLY asking for these things for themselves- not the entire league?
Nope. The league has been making money off these guys for years and lied to them about what they knew and when they knew it in regards to health problems. I say go get whatever you can out of the league. The HOFers especially. They built what the league is. 
Agree, there are serious health concerns for former players.  Other people who can prove that their illness was/is caused by work get their healthcare paid.  I doubt the current owners give a rats arse about it though.  What exact leverage do the HOFers have to come asking for $100Ms to cover this? 
We talked to some ex players this weekend and heard stories about how guys took the concussion test and were told that they aren't eligible but that they would likely have problems down the road. So they have to get tested every two years waiting and knowing that they are going to have massive issues later in life. 
Sounds like how our military treats it's former employees past issues,  except a lot of them had no clue that they were getting exposed to.  I agree with Pumpf though,  nobody that played the game in the last 30 to 40 years should say that they didn't know it would gave long term health affects.

As far as the former players,   where is their union?  Why aren't current players kicking in for past players?  How long has there been a players union and why weren't they at the forefront of uncovering the longterm health issues and demanding shit back in the 70s and 80s?

Quote: @pumpf said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/18/group-of-hall-of-famers-demands-an-annual-salary-and-health-benefits/

Some Hall of Famers want an annual salary- and health benefits- for themselves (as members of the HOF).  Lots of things could be said, but it seems like the easiest solution is to remove those folks from the HOF.  Problem solved.
oh boy

1. Matthew 25:34-40 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”

18. Luke 4:40 As the sun went down that evening, people throughout the village brought sick family members to Jesus. No matter what their diseases were, the touch of his hand healed every one.

19. Matthew 4:23 Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.
20. Matthew 8:16 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick.
21. Ezekiel 34:16 I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.

Those are all great, Bullazin: but what does any of it have to do with the topic at hand?

theres alot more of this as you know in the apostolic writings.  i think our religion is pretty clear on this subject of caring for the sick

Some Hall of Famers named in boycott letter reportedly didn’t know about it
[Image: gettyimages-630774314-e1537295733804.jpg...316&crop=1]
Getty Images
That letter from Eric Dickerson and other Pro Football Hall of Famers threatening a boycott of future Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremonies carries one potentially important flaw: Not all of the Hall of Famers listed on the letter knew about it before it was sent
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/18/some-hall-of-famers-named-in-boycott-letter-reportedly-didnt-know-about-it/

Quote: @pumpf said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/18/group-of-hall-of-famers-demands-an-annual-salary-and-health-benefits/

Some Hall of Famers want an annual salary- and health benefits- for themselves (as members of the HOF).  Lots of things could be said, but it seems like the easiest solution is to remove those folks from the HOF.  Problem solved.
What's the problem? It be awesome If the NFL recognized the people that made the game what it is.

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
A "non-profit" organization pays it's commissioner $50million. Ex-players don't have a clue which room of the house they are standing in or who the guy calling them Dad is. 

Ask. Sue. I have zero problems with it. 
How much blame dose the NFLPA get in this.  I have no problem with HOFers asking or demanding, I also have no problems with the owners saying no.

I do feel the NFLPA does the NFL players past, present and future a disservice.

I still don't understand, why the NFLPA doesn't do more for their members.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
No problems, seems like a reasonable request.  Remember Karl Kassulke and some of the other former players who left everything on the field.
Wow, there’s a name from the past. That motorcycle accident put him in a wheelchair but it never cushed his spirit. RIP Karl.