Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does cutting a rookie kicker send a bad message to the rest of the team?

Sadly, I think it does. Its a super short rope. I don't think they are looking elsewhere quite yet for a kicker. He needs a shot at redemption and then if he fails again, you can do what you need to do as a team. But not after just one bad game. I say this starting a thread about the team being too good for a bad rookie kicker, but I'm not the GM or coach. If they don't get rid of him this week, I get why from a team standpoint. From a fan's perspective it was a game Minnesota could have easily won with just 1 FG made and that stinks a bit....more than a bit. But as I stated, I was very calm afterwards and I like this team's potential a ton. 

They showed me something yesterday I was hoping to see but wasn't sure if I would. Let's do this.

I was more po'ed losing yesterday than losing in the NFCCG to the Eagles...

Cut the fucker and tell the team we're bringing in someone who gives us a better chance to win.

Lets not make this rocket science. 

Maybe we rally the 1st graders again ala Blair Walsh?

edit: ooops, we didnt lose lol! 

Feelings...whoa whoa whoa Feelings..........

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Cut the fucker and tell the team we're bringing in someone who gives us a better chance to win.

lol, I love this response. I hear you. I just don't think its going to happen. But what do I know? 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:

lol, I love this response. I hear you. I just don't think its going to happen. But what do I know? 
He will be booed mercilessly if they trot him out Sunday vs The Bills....

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

edit: ooops, we didnt lose lol! 

I don't even really know why some fans think he should get another shot.  We've seen this same song and dance with Walsh...  but Carlson didn't even have a great rookie season to fall back on.  I'm not even emotional about this...  I'm actually kind of happy he showed it now instead of missing a big kick in the playoffs.
Just move on and sign one of the good veteran kickers out there.  This should be really simple.  Dan Bailey is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, he's 30 years old, still has a strong leg, and is sitting at home.  Sign the guy and go win football games.

I can't believe this is even up for debate.

Cut him. He cost us a game yesterday. He's not cut out for the NFL.

Why would it.  If you have done all you can to win a game, and your kicker cost you, then he has to go.   Is it that time?  Only Zimmer can answer that.

Kai Forbath and Blair Walsh were released because they could not consistently hit their kicks.  And, for Forbath, they were looking for a bigger leg (even though he hit plenty of long-range FGs for this team in pressure spots).

If they cut him, sign me up for Dan Bailey.  This is a championship caliber roster, that can't be derailed if the kicker can't rise to the occasion.  Cold, but true.

This is professional sports, message it sends is do your job or we will find someone else who will.  Pretty simple.