Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Brian O’Neill won’t soon forget his NFL debut
GREEN BAY, WIS. — Any time a rookie makes his debut in the NFL, it’s going to be a memorable moment. But for Minnesota Vikings second-round pick Brian O’Neill, his first time on an NFL field game at Lambeau in the midst of one of the wildest games ever played between the Vikings and Green Bay Packers.“The stuff that we work on at practice carries over a lot, moreso than I ever saw in college,” O’Neill said. “The gameplan is so specific, the coaching is so in depth. The looks we got in practice this week were exactly what we expected coming in. For me that was refreshing to have prepared for something and then being out there and the first play happening and being like, ‘alright, this is what I prepared for.”
His first task as an NFL player was the block for Kick Cousins as he led a mad comeback from down 20-7 in the fourth. The Vikings scored 22 fourth quarter points en route to overtime and then had two cracks at a game-winning field goal — both of which were missed by Daniel Carlson.
”Kirk’s communication was spot on,” O’Neill said. “You could tell he was firing on all cylinders at that point because we’ve practiced that and it carried over from practice to the game.”
On his performance, O’Neill won’t truly know until he breaks down the film, but it’s clear he’s grown a great deal since Draft Day.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...nfl-debut/

Good read.

sounds like our coaching staff had GB's number. Wish we could have capitalized

Oneill can actually move his feet unlike Hill. I thought the line play really improved once he got in there.

Just as predicted O'Neill with be starting this year and playing well.

This is a blessing.....his future looks good.  Some people worried he wouldn't be able to do it.  Getting a solid starter for the OL.

He's a super athlete for the position. Would love to see him be a starter before the end of the year.

Big athletic kid that continues to work on his weight and strength and not loose any of his mobility.  A full time starter to come.

Didn't really focus on him, but when I did watch him, he looked pretty good. This is huge for us. I didn't see anyone bull rush him, which is what he struggled with in college, so maybe that added weight is helping. The bad news is Rashod Hill's ankle. Sounds minor though. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Didn't really focus on him, but when I did watch him, he looked pretty good. This is huge for us. I didn't see anyone bull rush him, which is what he struggled with in college, so maybe that added weight is helping. The bad news is Rashod Hill's ankle. Sounds minor though. 
I think on his first play in the game he was bullrushed right into the QB's lap, but he held up better after that play.
Thankfully, he was ready to go when Hill went down.  
I think his lack of girth is a little overblown.
He's a lot bigger than Isaiah Wynn , for instance.
I wanted Wynn, but The Pat's snapped him up in the 20s.  He's already out for the year with a knee.
I was not as high on Kolton Miller or Connor Williams.  For the ultra-picky LT Position O'Neill was MAYBE the best-suited athlete in the draft...

Going back and watching the tape, O'Neill looked pretty good. handled himself OK in the run (our entire OL sucks in the run, he stayed on his man) and was very good in the pass. Hill is definitely nothing special. I am looking forward for Elf to comeback and an entire OL reshuffling. But it should be Reiff - Jones - Elflein - Remmers - O'Neil. I like Jones, but damn he gets pushed back WAY too often, maybe give isi or witzman their chance.